Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a pair of Alpinestars GP Plus gloves. I hate them! Being new to the street bike thing, the guys at Sport Bike Track Gear pushed me towards gauntlet style gloves.Are all gauntlet gloves this uncomfortable? Any suggestions on what gloves I should look at?

I have some cheaper normal gloves that don't feel as "safe" in that I seem to grab over the Alpinestars. Should I look for a different style, different brand? Whet are your guys feelings about gloves?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Are they too tight or too big?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they too tight or too big?
No. They seem to fit ok. Maybe it's me but I don't fee like I have much movement available to me in them. The thumb and wrist movements. It may also be weird having the pinky and ring finger tied together. I'm not sure it its bulky, lake of movement or maybe just me. Trying to get some opinions.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Go with what feels good (i.e. right size) and offers good protection.

dainese4_stroke_evo_gloves_white_white_black_detail.jpg

I bought these a few months ago and really like them.

Dianese 4 Stroke EVO

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Gloves are like helmets and shoes when looking for comfort, everyone is different. Go to a motorcycle shop and try them on until you find a pair that feels good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good leather gloves, like Alpinestars or Dainese, tend to feel uncomfortable when new, it's just a matter of "breaking them in" a little. Those are very good gloves that you can rely on if there's ever a need.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Good leather gloves, like Alpinestars or Dainese, tend to feel uncomfortable when new, it's just a matter of "breaking them in" a little. Those are very good gloves that you can rely on if there's ever a need.
I second this. My friend just picked up some really nice Held gauntlets and they seem really restrictive as far as movement and dexterity because they are brand new. My Alpinestar gauntlets felt the same when I first got them. Now they are like a second skin!

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Gloves should fit snugly and should not allow your hand to move around inside them.

Every MFR has their own idea what hands are shaped like and if your hand is not shaped like their model, often their gloves won't fit you correctly.

If gloves are too tight, then usually, the gloves will stretch and break-in a little bit to fit your hand.

If your gloves are too tight, then try neatsfoot oil or mink oil and work that into the glove to soften and work the gloves to fit you better.

If your gloves are real loose, they will never fit you correctly.

If your gloves are only a little loose, you can put them on, get them completely soaked and then flex them a bit to make sure they are totally wet, and then let them dry for a day. this will tighten them up a little.

I wash my gloves regularly (3-5 times per year) as I wear them every day. When they dry they are a bit tight but loosen up pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
^ I ride with my gloves wet after washing so they take the shape of my hands on the bars.

Reactions: Lateralus

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
They were tight to begin with. I feel that they have been broken in. I just tried then on and it feels like maybe something with the length of the hand part. They feel too short on my palm???

Anyways I was curious on your guys thoughts about gauntlet style gloves. Are they necessary? Are they all somewhat restrictive on movement? A lot of the time I'm just riding 3-4 miles to work and back. Not sure I need them for this yet kind of talking mysl f into needing them

·
Registered
239 Posts
They sold you into a race style gauntlet glove. That's why your movement is restricted. The glove will do a great job protecting your hand and wrist but for street use its a bit over kill.

For every day riding I wouldn't wear those. I use alpinestars short cuff textile gloves for street use. Comfortable with great airflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
gloves are a personal thing but i have nothing but good things to say about these

Scorpion Guardian Gloves - RevZilla

I've been wearing them for the past 2 years - they are super comfortable - great protection and $80. Can't go wrong IMO.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
The absolutely highest quality/most comfortable glove that I have Ever worn is the Held Phantom..... Now the Held Phantom II. Around $300 retail, but mine have survived very well post crash on the track as well as going on their 5th year of use. I have two more pairs for back up!

Reactions: Fairbanksdmt

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I was very surprised to see the A*'s SMX2 palm section of the glove being eaten right through by the assphault in Shawn00sa's thread A sad, sad, day. I have a pair of those and I thought I would be fine if I went down wearing them. Guess not.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Race style gloves are naturally restrictive of movement. Personally I wear these styled of gloved exclusively as they as they are very comfortable on the bike. Your hand shouldn't be moving much anyway. You're born supposed to have lots of finger dexterity. It's useless while riding as long as you can grip and operate the controls well. I would not touch short cuff gloves personally and find them to be useless because of how easily they are removed from the hand.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Race style gloves are naturally restrictive of movement. Personally I wear these styled of gloved exclusively as they as they are very comfortable on the bike. Your hand shouldn't be moving much anyway. You're born supposed to have lots of finger dexterity. It's useless while riding as long as you can grip and operate the controls well. I would not touch short cuff gloves personally and find them to be useless because of how easily they are removed from the hand.
If the glove fits properly it won't be coming off. Plenty of people I know have gone down with short cuff gloves and haven't had them fly off. They do their job just fine. I guarantee 90% of the people on this forum wear jeans while riding, your jeans essentially offer 0 protection from a crash. I'd be more concerned over those than short cuff or gauntlet style gloves as any leather palmed glove will offer protection in an accident where as those jeans everyone wears are just about as useful as wearing shorts.

OP, go to the store that offers the widest selection of gloves and try some on. That's your best way of finding a good pair. Make sure they have a leather palm (stay away from suede, it's useless for protection and I see it a lot these days. Great feel but tears up quick on gravel) and you'll be all set in an accident should it occur. Other than that pick what is most comfortable for you and the climate you ride in.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Shorty gloves (anything less than a decent gauntlet) are for gardening and driving cars.

On a motorcycle, they provide basically zero protection in a crash. Your wrists are completely exposed. Shorty gloves get peeled off in a crash. Mesh gloves offer even less protection.

Take a good look at your hands and wrists and notice all the small bones, ligaments, tendons, etc. They are very easily damaged.

When you crash your hand hits the ground in a few different ways:
1) Slapped hard on the ground palm side down or on the side (Karate chop style) or on the back of the hand. When I say slapped hard, think about how hard you can slap a concrete block wall and then double or triple that impact.
slapping your hands on the ground that hard will break bones in your hands and your wrists. Been there done that.
2) whichever side of your hand hits the ground is like jamming your hand into a very very coarse belt sander:
Any exposed seams in the glove will get ground off in split seconds and the surface layer material of the glove will be torn away.
If the surface material of the glove does not give way, it will heat up to 300+ degrees in split seconds as you slide down the pavement and your skin will get cooked right off your hand.

Gloves need adequate padding, heat insulation and protected seams so they can protect your hands and wrists when you fall.

Cheaping out on gloves is foolish.

You will be kicking yourself when you are in your 50s and your hands are crippled up with scar tissue in the joints that flares up as bursitis and arthritis that only gets worse as you age.

I've been down the road in roadracing and on street accidents, literally and figuratively, with cheap gloves. Now in my 50's I WISH someone would have pointed out how stupid and foolish I was at the time.

Lee Parks gloves are pretty decent.

I prefer Helimot's gloves: www.helimot.com

There are also some Held models that I think look ok and have a good reputation.

Most every other glove is several steps down from those 3.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
If the glove fits properly it won't be coming off. Plenty of people I know have gone down with short cuff gloves and haven't had them fly off. They do their job just fine. I guarantee 90% of the people on this forum wear jeans while riding, your jeans essentially offer 0 protection from a crash. I'd be more concerned over those than short cuff or gauntlet style gloves as any leather palmed glove will offer protection in an accident where as those jeans everyone wears are just about as useful as wearing shorts.

OP, go to the store that offers the widest selection of gloves and try some on. That's your best way of finding a good pair. Make sure they have a leather palm (stay away from suede, it's useless for protection and I see it a lot these days. Great feel but tears up quick on gravel) and you'll be all set in an accident should it occur. Other than that pick what is most comfortable for you and the climate you ride in.

Yes, jeans offer minimal protection.

I don't wear jeans. I wear motorcycle specific gear when I ride.

Shorty gloves offer zero impact protection and next to zero abrasion protection because they are thin, cheapo, minimal materials that people buy because they want to look like they are wearing gloves but don't actually wish to invest any thought or $ is actually examining their gloves and why they wear them.

Yes shorty gloves come off and get peeled back as you slide, to think otherwise is totally naive and uninformed.

Youa re welcome to wear shorty gloves, they are your hands, just don't tout their protection qualities because they offer very little if any protection.

Reactions: triplethreat
1 - 20 of 49 Posts