Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious about the "real" weight of a FZ-09...and not the advertised hype we get from a few bike makers like Yamaha and Ducati for example. They claimed 114 horsepower and 414 pounds WET. We already know that the bike produces 107 to 109 horsepower at the rear wheel on several dynos....so did they lie about the wet weight too? I don't know how they measure "wet" weight these days,...but to me...wet weight would be with all fluids and a half tank of gasoline.

None of the figures will deter me from buying mine in the spring....but i'd like to know the truth about the actual weight.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I think Stoltec measured his at 420 lbs with a full tank, the front to rear balance was spot on too.

A lot of the time, the manufacturer's horsepower claims are measured at the crankshaft, not the wheel. And different dyno's are all calibrated differently as it is. So I'm not upset about the dyno figures we're seeing yet.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
I think Stoltec measured his at 420 lbs with a full tank, the front to rear balance was spot on too.

A lot of the time, the manufacturer's horsepower claims are measured at the crankshaft, not the wheel. And different dyno's are all calibrated differently as it is. So I'm not upset about the dyno figures we're seeing yet.
Correct. All fluids were full and tool kit was on board. Only other non-stock item at the time was a battery tender lead. Some manufacturer's spec 'ready to ride' or wet as 90% of usable tank capacity, but even so, that only accounts for an extra ~2.5 lbs. Still haven't figured out where the extra comes from...

Power on this bike @ 350 miles was around 104 hp. Dynos can be optimistic, but these numbers are in line with what's to be expected.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I weighed mine it was 193# on the front 195# on the rear using a bathroom scale cannot verify accuracy with 2.7 gals of gas

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
It comes from the tracking device and 2 lb of C-4 I put on there. Bwuahaha!
I was actually hoping for 6 lbs of cash...

I weighed mine it was 193# on the front 195# on the rear using a bathroom scale cannot verify accuracy with 2.7 gals of gas
So, 388 lbs. Accounting for the other gallon of fuel, you're looking at ~395 which is down almost 20 lbs from Yamaha's claims, and 25 lbs from what we measured. Did you block the opposite end you were measuring to maintain the proper height for weight distribution? Have you checked your scale's accuracy?

·
Registered
611 Posts
<< Also not affiliated with Marthy

Also check out his fuel controller.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Correct. All fluids were full and tool kit was on board. Only other non-stock item at the time was a battery tender lead. Some manufacturer's spec 'ready to ride' or wet as 90% of usable tank capacity, but even so, that only accounts for an extra ~2.5 lbs. Still haven't figured out where the extra comes from...
An uncalibrated scale?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the reply based on a verified scale. 420 is about what I guessed too. By the way if anyone wants to know....ONE GALLON of gas at 72 degrees Fahrenheit weighs exactly 6.25 pounds. Below 72 a gallon weighs a hair more...and above 72 a hair less. Whatever the tank capacity is on the FZ-09 ... times that by 6.2 ...and that is what a full tank weighs.

So...420 pounds WET....and 109 hp at the rear wheel are the actual figures for an FZ-09.

Thanks again.

Reactions: cjhorton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply based on a verified scale. 420 is about what I guessed too. By the way if anyone wants to know....ONE GALLON of gas at 72 degrees Fahrenheit weighs exactly 6.25 pounds. Below 72 a gallon weighs a hair more...and above 72 a hair less. Whatever the tank capacity is on the FZ-09 ... times that by 6.2 ...and that is what a full tank weighs.

So...420 pounds WET....and 109 hp at the rear wheel are the actual figures for an FZ-09.

Thanks again.
The weight is a lie, but the horsepower is spot on, or even a bit more then claimed 114hk on the crank.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The weight is a lie, but the horsepower is spot on, or even a bit more then claimed 114hk on the crank.
The point is Yamaha never claimed the 114 hp was CRANK horsepower. Hell they could say it had 400 hp at the crank and no one would ever be able to prove it. The only horsepower any of us can use is rear wheel hp...so advertising something that can't be proven is dishonest plain and simple.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The point is Yamaha never claimed the 114 hp was CRANK horsepower. Hell they could say it had 400 hp at the crank and no one would ever be able to prove it. The only horsepower any of us can use is rear wheel hp...so advertising something that can't be proven is dishonest plain and simple.
They didn't have to say it was at the crank (BHP). All manufacturers, motorcycle and auto, list HP and TQ figures at the crank. Unless it's stated to be at the wheel, or wheels (RWP or RWHP).

If you think the motorcycle manufacturer's are lying, then you must really hate the auto manufacturer's. Because the frictional losses (from crank to wheels) are far greater on cars than bikes. Take a mustang that puts out 300hp at the crank. By the time the power reaches the wheels it will be 250 or less.

You just need to remember they all advertise that way. That's why I like magazines like Cycle World. They put all their test bikes on the same dyno, with the same operator, for similar results.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Every production engine spends 1000's of hours on an engine dyno...that measures crank hp. If a manufacturer adjusted their procedures and cited wheel horsepower, they'd be in court every day of the week. Owners would be suing because their bike/car/truck made 1.2 hp less than the manufacturer's claim on their cousin's best friend's sister in-law's ex-husband's super awesome dynomajig.

But seriously, the dyno runs support Yamaha's power claims.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
But seriously, the dyno runs support Yamaha's power claims.
But seriously,....the wet weight they claimed was also wrong. Honda never lies about wet weight ...and all Honda HP advertised is what you get at the rear wheel. Triumph too. Ducati are the worst liars in the business.
All of Ducati;s hp claims are off by 20%. I'd be happier if they gave us the truth and not fudge the figures so they can sell more bikes. Especially THIS bike. This one will sell itself.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts