Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My FZ-09 has a slight "chatter" feeling (not a noise, chattery feeling) when I start out in first gear. It's most noticeable when I take off after warming the bike in the drive way. I notice it less after the bike has gotten to full temp but it's still there. I've adjusted the clutch several times but I can't get it to stop. It started doing this at just under 1000 miles. My other bikes are smooth as butter when I take off and I don't know what could have caused this. I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed this issue. I'm thinking it might be time for a dealer visit.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yes, I have noticed this. I tried searching a few times for threads about it and found nothing useful. I make sure that I use the clutch more when the engine is cold (as opposed to clutchless upshifting) to help get some oil back in the plates, and it seems to be much better after a few starts and stops and once warm.

I had the same sort of problem on my K4 Gixxer 1000, but much much worse. The solution there was to install a ZX-10 (yes, a Kawi part) clutch cushion plate. It made a ridiculous difference. Super smooth after that. Maybe the FZ-09 needs something like that.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mine OK with normal, easy takeoff.

Does chatter if I tried to launch drag race style, at higher rpm / more throttle.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Waaay back in the day, we would cut another groove between the existing grooves, outer 2

Fiber plates to reduce chattering, with a hacksaw.

Reactions: doozerdave

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm just taking a look at the clutch fiche on yamaha-motor.ca and I don't see any of the typical spring steel release rings that I've seen in other bikes. It's my understanding that those are intended to reduce chatter. There are two types of friction plates though, 7 of one and 2 of another. I wonder if the size is the same as the ZX-10. That plate was something like $17, so I'd be willing to put one in given how well it worked on my old Gixxer.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I have noticed this several times, almost daily, until the bike is fully up to temp AND the clutch has been used a couple of times.

I suspect it is an issue will proper oil between the clutch plates.

I spoke to the service manager at my local dealership and I trust his judgement and experience as I have known him for a long time. He tells me this is commonplace in other Yamaha models as well and is harmless.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I'm using Amsoil now, and used Motul 5100 after the first change. Clutch action is far better than it was with the OEM oil, but still not super smooth. I'm wondering if the plates got abused in the first 300km with the OEM oil in there.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I haven't had any clutch chatter. Check your oil level and quality - and do an oil change. It won't hurt and may fix it. Since you're pas breaking I'd suggest switching to synthetic too.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
What kind of oil are we all using? Overdue on the service?
I am at 6600 miles and on the 3rd or 4th oil change. I change it when I feel it is dirty enough in the window or every 2500 miles, whichever comes first.

I used Yamalube for the first oil change and I had the chatter.

I switched to Rotella 15/40, conventional oil, for the second oil change and I had chatter

I switched to Rotella synthetic oil since and I still have the chatter

As stated above, it is only an issue for the first few times I use the clutch.

My theory is the chatter is caused by not enough oil has yet pumped into the clutch yet as that takes a little bit of time and a couple of times cycling the clutch to fully deliver the proper quantity of oil to the clutch.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Had a tad of chatter today on a hard-ish launch with a more clutch slippage than I normally let it have. That's the only time I have felt it in over 8000 miles though.

·
Registered
272 Posts
One thing I noticed is when I let the bike warm up pulling the clutch in and out seems to help, I agree that it is not anything to worry about because it gets better after warmup. Trying a defferent oil is a great idea I use motul 5100 blend 10w 40 in all my bikes with no problems. RR:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts