Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry guys but I searched and couldn't find anything beyond the Cree set-up.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Only do HID if you're retrofitting.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. But just looking to replace existing bulbs...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just finished reading the Cree LED thread and there's a $79 option. Now on to the Link above....;)

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Steve, are you looking for a true HID conversion(ballast etc.) or just a replacement H4 bulb that is closer in color temp to a true HID setup? PIAA has some pretty good H4 bulbs that are a whiter color than the stock halogen bulb.
Or...I found this:2014 Yamaha FZ09 Motorcycle HID Kit
This appears to be a very high quality pkg. How it compares to the CREE LED Kit is above my pay grade.

I'm confident there are many here who have used the Cree pkg talked about here several months ago....Maybe they know the differences.

I've been told many kits include two bulbs.....What's best and easiest to install is my issue now....

Research, research, research....

·
Registered
200 Posts
Do a retrofit. I just recently tried the Cree route. It is an improvement over stock, but ultimately the culprit is a poor reflector bucket design and no bulb will fix that. I will be sending my headlight out this fall to Chad to be retrofitted.
And Steve, please don't be that guy that just pops an hid bulb in. The light that gets scattered can blind an oncoming driver and put you at risk of an accident

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Do a retrofit. Just recently tried the Cree route. It is an improvement over stock, but ultimately the culprit is a poor reflector design and no bulb will fix that. I will be sending mine headlight out this fall to be retrofitted.

I've already changed the little bulbs on the sides of the Headlight to LED's (white light) and they exaggerate the "yellowness" of the Headlights......I need a whiter light to match.

I've already installed the Denali D2's (photo to follow) so getting a stronger beam isn't as pressing as matching the White Light from these little side lights I've already changed.

image.jpg

Reactions: mxlu

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've already changed the little bulbs on the sides of the Headlight to LED's (white light) and they exaggerate the "yellowness" of the Headlights......I need a whiter light to match.

I've already installed the Denali D2's (photo to follow) so getting a stronger beam isn't as pressing as matching the White Light from these little side lights I've already changed.
Gotcha, then go for the led. It will match those side bulbs well. See my edit above regarding the PNP hid kit

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Additionally, those cheap Chinese made wannabe 'HID' look bulbs put out a lot of heat. I remember someone posting awhile back that they had distorted the headlight lens cover by driving with their high beams on continually. Whether a defect or heat related, idk, but I would imagine the additional heat output from a stronger light output couldn't be good for the headlight nacelle or the cover...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recall that post too.

But I'm not able to determine what's good and what's not.....I only know white light from yellowish stock light, lol

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I've always used PIAA bulbs on all my bikes, and I recall Doug swearing by another bulb maker, but can't recall what brand he referenced. In my experience, the PIAA bulbs are great although a bit pricey and you only get about 75% of the bulb life compared to a stock Halogen bulb. But they supposedly put out 110 W equivalent and only draw the same as a 55 W bulb. One thing I have noticed over the years, if the reflector is a crappy design the higher bulb output will actually give you blotchy illumination spots instead of the brighter, full coverage you would think you'd get from a higher 'K' color bulb. Sorry Steve, I know that doesn't really help you narrow down your choice much. It's kind of a crap shoot until someone posts their experience with a good aftermarket alternative, but 'good' is pretty subjective anyway...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've always used PIAA bulbs on all my bikes, and I recall Doug swearing by another bulb maker, but can't recall what brand he referenced. In my experience, the PIAA bulbs are great although a bit pricey and you only get about 75% of the bulb life compared to a stock Halogen bulb. But they supposedly put out 110 W equivalent and only draw the same as a 55 W bulb. One thing I have noticed over the years, if the reflector is a crappy design the higher bulb output will actually give you blotchy illumination spots instead of the brighter, full coverage you would think you'd get from a higher 'K' color bulb. Sorry Steve, I know that doesn't really help you narrow down your choice much. It's kind of a crap shoot until someone posts their experience with a good aftermarket alternative, but 'good' is pretty subjective anyway...
Have you added PIAA's to your FZ-09...????

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I bought the PIAA Extreme White Plus as I really liked them on my R6, and while a much whiter color than the stock bulb-better matching the color of LED wedge bulbs I have for the headlight marker lamps, they threw a better beam pattern on the R6 , maybe because it was a projector beam setup, idk. But they are definitely an improvement over the stock bulb with a better beam pattern, imo...

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
And for the FZ-09 do we buy Bi Xenon's ...???

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Damn, that's a good question. My understanding of xenon bulbs is that a xenon bulb uses the xenon for low beam only and the high beams are standard halogen on a two bulb setup, while bi xenon bulbs use the xenon gas filled bulb for both high and low with a moveable shutter that cycles to cover the high beam portion until you switch on the high beams, then the shutter moves to cover the low beam portion. I think bi xenon are only used for high end HID lights like on some high performance sports and luxury cars, not too sure if they could even be used on a retrofit HID kit and might possibly draw too much wattage for the 09's headlight and charging system to handle. Maybe someone with a better understanding of this can comment. Great question, though-you stumped me on this one...

·
Registered
298 Posts
The FZ09 uses an H4 (9003) halogen, Da Braddah is correct, Bi-xenon actually refers to the high and low beam of a projector.

If you were getting an H4 HID bulb kit, it would have the solenoid to actuate the bulb, in turn giving you the high and low beam, however I do not recommend using such a kit, for reasons already mentioned in the post as far as being distracting/blinding to other drivers. Plus, the output on something like that also leaves something to be desired.

·
Super Moderator
5,751 Posts
Guys, I'm moving this to the gear and Acc. section.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice explanation, Chad. You're the perfect person to weigh on in this and provide us with an experts advice and clarification. Thank you...:thumbsup:
Honestly, the best bet would be a projector upgrade, but I don't want to push someone into something that they don't want to do. It doesn't have to be an expensive upgrade, and one that can actually work for you AND look good.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts