Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was pursuing through the FZ manual. I was really shocked at Yamaha's shifting suggestions. Are they serious in recommending shifting to 2nd from 1st at 12mph? And likewise for subsequent up shifts. The downshift recommendations were equally low.

The bike has plenty of torque to handle gear changes throughout the RPM range. I come from an R6 and I tended to shift on the higher side of the RPMs. I am no means an expert. I am taken back by the suggestions as written in the manual, though.

Thoughts?

Matt

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was pursuing through the FZ manual. I was really shocked at Yamaha's shifting suggestions. Are they serious in recommending shifting to 2nd from 1st at 12mph? And likewise for subsequent up shifts. The downshift recommendations were equally low.

The bike has plenty of torque to handle gear changes throughout the RPM range. I come from an R6 and I tended to shift on the higher side of the RPMs. But I am questions why that would be written in the manual.

Thoughts?

Matt
nahh they exaggerate. like the oil change...

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,357 Posts
What did it say in your R6 manual? Shift to 2nd at 60 mph?

They don't put these suggestions in there for performance reasons. They do it for fuel economy, noise, and emissions reasons. Ignore.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
In the days before tachs were common they gave min and max speeds in gears. Ignore. If you like tenor change at 6 -7k, soprano 10-11k.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it shifts down into 1 a little smoother if I down shift at a little higher. I do it before I stop for sure, but also low enough I'm not dragging the tire via engine brake.
Just blip the throttle a bit for a smoother transition

1 - 7 of 7 Posts