Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This takes real effort when you are as computer stupid as I am. Started a while ago then found out my photos were way too big, had to figger out how to edit them bla, bla, bla.

Anyway this ain't so much a "build" as an "undressing". In general my opinion is less is better on motorcycles. I started at the back by getting rid of the "fender" a total eyesore. I put together a bracket for the license plate and rear turn signals from some 1/2 X 1/2 X1/8 angle and 1X1/8 bar I had lying around. Used Speed Metal micro LED turn signals and a small white LED pilot light for a license light.

Undertail rear view.jpg Undertail front view.jpg

Next thing I did was blatantly copy a great idea for relocating the rear brake reservoir. This allowed me to get rid of the passenger pegs. I filled the threaded holes from the peg brackets with stainless button head cap screws.

Brake relocate.jpg FZ rear view.jpg

Up front I replaced the turn signals with the same Speed Metal LEDs that I used in back. I free handed some tear drop shaped fillers for the holes left by the stock signals out of 1/8 black Kydex

TS detail.jpg

Just got notice I've hit my photo limit so I'll continue in another post

·
Registered
957 Posts
Your fender eliminator looks kind of ghetto, no offense. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of fender eliminators on this bike because it turns out that it actually has a functional purpose as a mud guard. I've seen numerous reports of people with FE kits installed complaining of their rear wheel getting mud or dirt kicked up all over their back by the rear wheel. The rest, though, looks sweet.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here's next.

I installed some bar end mirrors that were leftovers from another bike. Got a little creative here. I made some inserts that thread into the bars in place of the weights. I bored and threaded them 8 X 1.25 so I can bolt just about any bar end mirror that uses the little expanding inserts as they are usually 8mm. I'm looking for different mirrors. These work great but I ain't sold on the looks.

Left mirror detail.jpg Right mirror detail.jpg Mirror mount.jpg

Also put on the Mad Hornets shorty levers in black. How do they make something that good and ship it from China for that price? Boggles the mind. Two things left on my "for sure" list are ECU reflash and some seat improvement. Coming soon....

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your fender eliminator looks kind of ghetto, no offense. That being said, I'm not a huge fan of fender eliminators on this bike because it turns out that it actually has a functional purpose as a mud guard. I've seen numerous reports of people with FE kits installed complaining of their rear wheel getting mud or dirt kicked up all over their back by the rear wheel. The rest, though, looks sweet.
No offense taken I AM pretty ghetto. Also I live in AZ, mud is very rare and only lasts for a few minutes on a "cool" day:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally, I think your fender eliminator is very nice as it is very simplistic and functional. As for the other guy who thinks that the fender eliminator looks ghetto.....I guess he lives so deep in the ghetto that he didn't learn any tact as he was growing up. Good luck on your build. I look forward to seeing more progress.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Looks clean. Nice work with everything. Not a fan of the mirrors either, but cool bar end inserts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I personally think the fender eliminator looks great. Could you go into more detail on how you made it and secured it? Would it be possible to use the stock signals in this setup? I prefer them only because they are very visible even if they look like crap.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I personally think the fender eliminator looks great. Could you go into more detail on how you made it and secured it? Would it be possible to use the stock signals in this setup? I prefer them only because they are very visible even if they look like crap.
Ok answer to the last question first. Yes you could use the stock signals if you have the means to make the tear drop shaped holes they require. It's do-able but a pain in the ass and what put me in the direction of aftermarket signals. As far as more detail I'll try to lay it out so it makes some sense without getting too long winded.

First I cut a piece of the 1 X 1/8 strap the width of the license plate + 3". I scribed a line 1.5" from each end and put the holes for the turn signals in the center of those squares. I put the holes for the license plate so as to locate it flush with what would be the top of the bracket. Then I rounded the corners, deburred the holes and polished the whole thing on my belt grinder. Last I bent it 90 degrees at the scribe marks.

Next I cut two pieces of the 1/2 X1/2 angle the same length as the area of the original fender bracket that bolts to the sub-frame. I held one on the sub-frame and used the holes in the sub-frame to scribe the hole location on to the piece. I drilled the holes with the pieces clamped back to back to keep them identical. I bolted them to the sub-frame with 6mm button head screws because the profile of the but-heads clears the plastic body parts. I put the body parts back on to check clearance. I held the license plate bracket up to the pieces bolted to the frame at an angle that I liked and marked the angle on the pieces. I removed them from the frame, clamped them back to back, ground the area where they met the license bracket to the angle I had marked, rounded all the corners and polished them. To hold everything in place for welding I used the original fender bracket for a jig, bolting the angle pieces to it and just holding the license bracket in place. I covered the fender assembly with a leather welding jacket to keep it from getting damaged while using it as a jig. After smoothing the welds a little ( got a MIG wish I had a TIG) some semi-gloss Krylon finished it up.

So much for not getting long winded huh? Hope it makes sense. For the record I used my mill and roto-broach cutters to make all the holes. Way neater and more accurate than drills but this should be do-able with hand tools and some patience. The alternatives I found were some really nice but very expensive eliminators or the universal full of holes and slots type things. We all know the dictionary definition of universal is "doesn't fit anything".

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally did something more than cosmetics. Had the ECU reflashed by Stoltec Moto. Huge difference in rideability. Same results as many on this forum have already posted about the most obvious being the throttle response. Much easier to control. I'd gone almost 4K miles and had learned to control it pretty well but it was still hard to get on the throttle exiting a turn without standing the bike almost all the way up first. It's totally controllable now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sad story. I crushed some fingers on my right hand at work back in October and haven't done much with motorcycles since. Still got a couple of weeks to go in a splint until the last tendon heals up. I can ride but throttle and front brake control is so awkward it doesn't feel safe. Anyway enough crying. In order to be doing SOMETHING with the FZ I rolled it out, washed it and took a few pics so I could update this thread.

Since the last post I did I've changed or added the following:

Replace the tail light with a Rizoma

Installed OES sliders

Changed the mirrors to CRG Arrows

Installed Seat Concepts pad & cover

I painted the tip on the exhaust pipe cover black. The bike kept drooling black spots on it. I figger if the FZ wants it black I'd just go with it,

resize Rt Side 06DEC14.jpg resize Rt Side 06DEC14.jpg resize Rear06DEC14.jpg

I made new bar ends to change the mirrors and bolted on some weights I found in a box of leftovers from other bikes. I installed the seat pad & cover myself and am happy with the result, not awesome but much more comfy than the original.

I've got a ZX10 shock coming and should get it installed next week. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with the forks yet.

I want to change the exhaust too but still undecided on which way to go with it. I actually like the stock sound and I like the idea of keeping emissions down with the cat but the stock system looks like a dumpster bolted under the bike. I'll probably end up going with some kind of a slip on cuz I'm a cheap ass.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Sad story. I crushed some fingers on my right hand at work back in October and haven't done much with motorcycles since. Still got a couple of weeks to go in a splint until the last tendon heals up. I can ride but throttle and front brake control is so awkward it doesn't feel safe. Anyway enough crying. In order to be doing SOMETHING with the FZ I rolled it out, washed it and took a few pics so I could update this thread.

Since the last post I did I've changed or added the following:

Replace the tail light with a Rizoma

Installed OES sliders

Changed the mirrors to CRG Arrows

Installed Seat Concepts pad & cover

I painted the tip on the exhaust pipe cover black. The bike kept drooling black spots on it. I figger if the FZ wants it black I'd just go with it,

View attachment 11412 View attachment 11412 View attachment 11413

I made new bar ends to change the mirrors and bolted on some weights I found in a box of leftovers from other bikes. I installed the seat pad & cover myself and am happy with the result, not awesome but much more comfy than the original.

I've got a ZX10 shock coming and should get it installed next week. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with the forks yet.

I want to change the exhaust too but still undecided on which way to go with it. I actually like the stock sound and I like the idea of keeping emissions down with the cat but the stock system looks like a dumpster bolted under the bike. I'll probably end up going with some kind of a slip on cuz I'm a cheap ass.
How much was the zx shock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
What year did Ya go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The '09 ZX10 shock is installed! The ebay listing said it had 3K miles and it appears the seller was honest, it looked like brand new. The whole job took less than two hours from the time the UPS truck left it until I was riding. That includes R&R the gas tank to facilitate trimming the plastic tray for reservoir clearance.

I installed it reservoir up and used Marthys' baseline settings. (thanks Marthy) When I bored the clevis side mounting hole out I used a 12mm end mill and offset the hole toward the shock to take back some of the length difference.

I've only put about ten miles on it. I've still got one finger in a splint so I didn't push too hard as riding at all is awkward as hell. The ride was about 50/50 new smooth freeway and bumpy rural two lane. (including a really rough railroad crossing) My initial impression is night and day difference. The bike is more planted. It doesn't get upset over bumps and just feels more smooth in general.

The shock I bought was $115 on ebay. '08-'10 ZX10 shocks are more than twice the price of older or newer ones. I'm sure this is due to the popularity of the FZ09 swap. Even at this price it is a huge bang for the buck improvement to this bike. Unsolicited advice to anyone who is still running the stock shock because "it's good enough for the way I ride": Just DO this! Your spinal column will thank you and you will enjoy a great bike even more.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Hot damn,

Would you be willing to prep another shock and mail to another 9er owner?

I mean, assuming that owner would pay for everything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts