Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think everyone would agree the 09 motor comes with a multitude of ticks, whines, and vibrations. Not since my '68 Triumph 650 TR6R from over 40 years ago has a bike of mine have such a symphony of sensations. I must admit I haven't owed a vast array of motorcycles, only about 10 all told, and all have been Japanese except for 3 British bikes. All have been singles or twins, the FZ-09 being my first multi cylinder. The 3 Brit bikes all had '30s technology so the gyrations from their rather primitive mechanical set up would unsurprisingly produce lots of noises, vibrations and sounds, but not so my others, all had SOHC or DOHC, short strokes, and 5-digit redlines (except for 2 singles) even my first bike, a '69 Honda CB350, was devoid of any unexpected sensations.

Things are different with the FZ-09, I've had mine since late February, and I'm still trying to get comfortable with its mechanical idiosyncrasies. First, it was the clutch rumbling when in neutral. Okay, that's normal it's a Yamaha trait (this is my first Yamaha). Next, the whining gear train, oh, it's the straight cut gears they all do that or it's the thin-walled engine castings broadcasting the internal vibrations. Oookay.

Lastly, the CCT issue. A slightly noisy cam chain to me isn't really a big deal. You should have heard the cam chain on my '07 XR650L after 82k original miles, and it was still running quite well when I traded it in. So while my 09 cam chain only rattled some, it was when a distinct harmonic resonance appeared, at 3.5k to 4k rpm, I could feel through the bars that concerned me. Actually it could be over a wider range, but is most evident in the that 500 rpm range. I tried the bolt with a jam nut fix. It didn't help, the vibe was still there. I ordered a -03 CCT early in July and surprisingly it arrived in two weeks. I installed it last Saturday and took a quick spin around the block. The harmonic resonance seemed to be gone, all was good. Next day I decided to go for a ride. After about 45 minutes on the freeway I exited to get gas and it was then I noticed the 3.5 – 4k vibe had reappeared. Bummed again.

I can pretty much get past the worrying over the other tics, whines, and vibrations, but this harmonic resonance feels, I don't know, disruptive and is shaking something up pretty seriously.

Now I'm thinking perhaps this isn't a CCT issue, maybe it's coming from inside the primary case. There is that rumble in the clutch when it's idling in neutral, and it does clatter some when taking off in first. There are lots of parts whirring around inside there, it even has that little chain driving the oil pump. Could this be the source for this rev dependent resonance? Man, it's like shooting in the dark.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I was and am still concerned with that. I took it back into the dealer with 400 miles on it regarding this exact same vibration in the same rpm range. I was told it was the cross plane engaging. Now, I am a total amateur with yamaha's cross plane engines so I took his word for it. However, it still concerns me and probably will until I can ride another 09 for comparison

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Crossplane engaging???? WTF; total BS. Had my 09 since 10/05/13 & haven't heard any of these noises; just wonderful triple music.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Lol, it sounded like bs. I am getting a second opinion on it Tuesday. In the meantime i am going to read up on the cross plane engine so i don't get fed more. I am sure it's a normal vibration, hell my m50 felt like it was going to vibrate apart @70mph and then would smooth out around 80.

This is similar to how my 09 behaves. Once i am above 6500rpm it smooths out nicely. From 3500 - 5000 it feels a little rougher.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
This bike has all sorts of distinct vibrations thoughout the rev range. Put some high db blocking ear plugs in and go for a drive, country roads and highway. You'll notice a whole new set of vibes...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
10001110101:
At least I know i'm not the only one with this very distinct vibration. These other yahoos just don't get it. The answer you got from your dealer is the reason I won't go to one, just more yahoos. Do you know the manufactured date of your -09? I still haven't ruled out the CCT

·
Registered
972 Posts
All triples are cross plane. It simply means that the crank throws are staggered at 120 degrees apart. The "cross plane" terminology really only has a bearing on 4 cylinder engines. In a "normal" 4 cylinder engine the crank throws are 180 degrees apart. The "cross plain" design has them 90 degrees apart. I am not sure why you get jokes rather than information but I hope this helps.

·
Registered
200 Posts
10001110101:
At least I know i'm not the only one with this very distinct vibration. These other yahoos just don't get it. The answer you got from your dealer is the reason I won't go to one, just more yahoos. Do you know the manufactured date of your -09? I still haven't ruled out the CCT
10/2013 is my mfg date. I'm only going to the dealer because if there is an issue, it's warrantee work

·
Registered
165 Posts
All modern Jap bikes have extremely thin engine cases to keep weight down, and this thing has the lowest weight in its class.

Clutch noise is no worse than the CBR600 I just chopped in, for example. All wet multiplate clutches have that muted rattle when disengaged and idling.

TBH I don't hear or feel the resonance you're talking about. For a triple I find this to be a very quiet motor. Try a Triumph..... you'll think it's a John Deere.

Have you tried comparing your bike to another FZ/MT? Maybe you got a bad one?

And of course, this thing does not have a crosplane crank. It's a triple.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The 09 does make some very unique sounds, but other than my junk OEM CCT, to me, the sounds are all very mechanical in nature-which goes perfectly with the industrial, mechanical design of the bike. The only odd noise I got at 3-4 grand was before I replaced my CCT, since replacement, it's just the the normal sounds of the motor/clutch/gearbox I hear...

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
the only bikes ive been able to ride or have owned (only had a sv650 previous to this bike) had fairly loud exhausts. The FZ exhaust unless you're ripping on it is relatively quiet (i actually like this). I think this poses a situation where you hear much more of the engine/bike working over those standard noises on other bikes being droned out by a louder exhaust.

I could be completely wrong - but was something i was thinking about the other day because i notice a hell of a lot of sounds on this bike ive never heard before too and constantly wonder if my front wheel is going to fall off while i'm going 80 :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some of y'all seem to be misunderstanding the issue. There is no odd sound associated with this, everything sounds normal. What is there is a very distinct vibration that occurs in this rpm range that comes up through the handlebars. For instance, I always feel vibration in the footpegs and a maybe very slight vibration in the handlebars (barely noticeable). This is normal to me. However, when I hit this rpm range, the vibration intensifies greatly (worst is around 4500-4700). After 6000, it smooths back out and the vibration is only apparent in the footpegs again. The fact that the vibartion went away temporarily for the OP after replacing the CCT tells me this is possibly just another symptom of a bad one.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Some of y'all seem to be misunderstanding the issue. There is no odd sound associated with this, everything sounds normal. What is there is a very distinct vibration that occurs in this rpm range that comes up through the handlebars. For instance, I always feel vibration in the footpegs and a maybe very slight vibration in the handlebars (barely noticeable). This is normal to me. However, when I hit this rpm range, the vibration intensifies greatly (worst is around 4500-4700). After 6000, it smooths back out and the vibration is only apparent in the footpegs again. The fact that the vibartion went away temporarily for the OP after replacing the CCT tells me this is possibly just another symptom of a bad one.
I notice the bike is distinctly more vibey in that RPM range. Unfortunate, since I commute on it and spend a lot of time in that range. Mine also smooths out around 6K, which is too fast in top gear. "Um officer, I needed to be able to use my mirrors to change lanes, so I HAD to speed up!"….:cool:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I recently replaced my CCT with the latest replacement part (S3) form yamaha and seems that all the noise being discussed which I also previously had is now gone. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
730 Posts
You oughta hear my 90 FJ1200.....An air-cooled I4, it sounds downright agricultural. The starter chain, cams and clutch all rattle.

I think everyone would agree the 09 motor comes with a multitude of ticks, whines, and vibrations. Not since my '68 Triumph 650 TR6R from over 40 years ago has a bike of mine have such a symphony of sensations. I must admit I haven't owed a vast array of motorcycles, only about 10 all told, and all have been Japanese except for 3 British bikes. All have been singles or twins, the FZ-09 being my first multi cylinder. The 3 Brit bikes all had '30s technology so the gyrations from their rather primitive mechanical set up would unsurprisingly produce lots of noises, vibrations and sounds, but not so my others, all had SOHC or DOHC, short strokes, and 5-digit redlines (except for 2 singles) even my first bike, a '69 Honda CB350, was devoid of any unexpected sensations.

Things are different with the FZ-09, I've had mine since late February, and I'm still trying to get comfortable with its mechanical idiosyncrasies. First, it was the clutch rumbling when in neutral. Okay, that's normal it's a Yamaha trait (this is my first Yamaha). Next, the whining gear train, oh, it's the straight cut gears they all do that or it's the thin-walled engine castings broadcasting the internal vibrations. Oookay.

Lastly, the CCT issue. A slightly noisy cam chain to me isn't really a big deal. You should have heard the cam chain on my '07 XR650L after 82k original miles, and it was still running quite well when I traded it in. So while my 09 cam chain only rattled some, it was when a distinct harmonic resonance appeared, at 3.5k to 4k rpm, I could feel through the bars that concerned me. Actually it could be over a wider range, but is most evident in the that 500 rpm range. I tried the bolt with a jam nut fix. It didn't help, the vibe was still there. I ordered a -03 CCT early in July and surprisingly it arrived in two weeks. I installed it last Saturday and took a quick spin around the block. The harmonic resonance seemed to be gone, all was good. Next day I decided to go for a ride. After about 45 minutes on the freeway I exited to get gas and it was then I noticed the 3.5 – 4k vibe had reappeared. Bummed again.

I can pretty much get past the worrying over the other tics, whines, and vibrations, but this harmonic resonance feels, I don't know, disruptive and is shaking something up pretty seriously.

Now I'm thinking perhaps this isn't a CCT issue, maybe it's coming from inside the primary case. There is that rumble in the clutch when it's idling in neutral, and it does clatter some when taking off in first. There are lots of parts whirring around inside there, it even has that little chain driving the oil pump. Could this be the source for this rev dependent resonance? Man, it's like shooting in the dark.

Anyone care to share their thoughts?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts