Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pure Gold! :laughing9:

So you’re a salesmen tasked with selling someone a product they don’t need, that they can’t afford, that isn’t competitive with rivals, that isn’t new and won’t make buyers stand out or demonstrate unique taste. How the hell do you do that? Don’t worry, the official Harley-Davidson test ride manual is here to help.

The manual was captured from the enemy by a member of the Yamaha FZ1 Owner’s Association.

As you can see, a Harley-Davidson test ride isn’t about demonstrating the objective merits of the product, it’s about immersing potential customers in the pirate lifestyle, assless leather chaps strongly encouraged.

This setup is pure genius. The potential for staged interactions with, say, a hot blonde, are literally limitless.

As you can see, not only is it important to limit the distance of the test ride to just a couple miles (although you still need to stop for water 4 miles in apparently) so the potential customer won’t be exposed to the long term limitations of the product, but it’s also crucial to structure the route around opportunities for posing.

So how do you sell a Harley-Davidson? Basically, you make the person taking the test ride feel like they have a huge penis. That’s pretty damn smart actually.
http://rideapart.com/2011/04/how-to-sell-a-harley-davidson/

·
Registered
225 Posts
That made my day! Makes me think of the south park episode about harley riders lol
LOL I had to look it up (never watched the "show").

In all fairness to Harley guys, the same can be said for attention whore riders of all kinds of bikes.....But Harley seems to be the most common LOL.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Well it must be working since there are more HD's on the road than any other mfr. and their sales are greater than any other brand. They're doing something right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a 99 fatboy. The FZ09 comes out to play, the fatboy comes out to cruz. You know, there is nothing wrong with that.

I get the joke, but really who cares if you're on 2 wheels good for you. Scooters included.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not a joke if it's in their own internally published guide on how to "Deliver Sales"

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Harleys do make great boat anchors though. No one makes a $20,000 boat anchor better than Harley Davidson. Made in the USA too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are we counting honda car sales? If i had a nickel for every honda that tried to "street-race" my 700HP pickup truck, I could buy a coke or something. LOL my brother has a harley, and my dad, they're nice for cruising; worth the price-tag, I personally don t think so at all, or else I'd have bought one rather than the fz09.

@brian-2, epic episode. The jap-crap vs harley "***"(not being offensive, watch the episode) debate has been going on between myself and friends&family since that came out

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
My only beef with harleys is the same as the grape fruit launching exhaust cans on imports; It is how fast they think they are. And 95% just aren't. It is so annoying. I swear I want to get a bull horn so I can yell at them, Loud does not equal fast, ****. lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
My only beef with harleys is the same as the grape fruit launching exhaust cans on imports; It is how fast they think they are. And 95% just aren't. It is so annoying. I swear I want to get a bull horn so I can yell at them, Loud does not equal fast, ****. lol
Hahaha!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
That is absolutely hysterical! It's not Harley riders specifically that make that so damn funny, I have friends with Harley's-but they actually are bike guys and do their own mods and maintenance. It's the way Harley has worded the manual and appealed to the lowest common denominator by basically telling/selling these posers a 6" increase in penis size is guaranteed with every purchase. True riders are riders no matter what they ride, but if they're doing it more for what other people think about how 'hip and cool' they are, that I don't get. Probably have a BMW parked next to it at home.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Da braddah, I have numerous friends and family That ride Harley's. It's one of those things, we all tease each other but at the end of the day, we're all riders things. Fun to laugh about but not malicious in any way

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It's more about people who want to buy in to the appearance of being a Harley guy or girl rather than buying the bike because that's what they like to ride. For some of these posers who buy the bikes, they have zero bike experience nor any practical skills and they don't care-they don't want or need to know how to ride safely or correctly. It's not the riding lifestyle they're buying into, it's the look they're after. The manual in this thread is proof of that. It's actually a very similar thought process for that 20 year who buys an R1 as his first bike. Nothing(rarely) good comes of this....

·
Registered
85 Posts
im a salesman at a yamaha, kawi, honda, polaris, and ktm dealership and none of those companies had any bullshit garbage like this in their guides or tests. im glad this was posted it made me laugh

1 - 20 of 82 Posts