Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Myself being bloody useless with tools, I took the plunge and decided to save some cash and install the racing line Akrapovic myself.

Headers went in flush. Did have to tighten them a bit to ensure they were well-sealed.

This arsehole plastic 'screw' that isnt a real screw was very frustrating to remove in order to get the side panel of the radiator off.

7 bloody hours later. That was incredibly stressful. The space around the header bolts behind the radiator is SO cramped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Winter ride through the small town of Uralla NSW.

1 degree Celsius through Bendemeer :eek: My hands were not enjoying that part. Heated grips incoming.

20210515_093401(1).jpg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some Oxford heated grips.

Decided to get rid of the Praying Mantis stock mirrors and replace them with some bar end mirrors.

The inside of the bars is in there pretty damn tight, but luckily bolt for the mirrors I bought fit right in the threads of the OEM bar ends.

Had to add some spacers AKA filed down, 40 cent washers from bunnings, otherwise the throttle would stay pinned in place after accelerating :eek:

Mirrors on, throttle turns and returns to off when released.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Installed a fender eliminator from Mustard Bikes.

Excuse the water. It was pissing down on my way home.

Very good quality fender eliminator. Tolerances are dead on and flush.

Could pull the LED plate illuminator inside a bit more, but here is the underside.

Pretty easy install!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy so far with the looks of the bike. Keen for the ECU to be cracked so I can get it flashed.

·
Registered
442 Posts

What exactly is the ribbed/ finned item sitting inside the bike frame immediately below the rider's seat and outboard (in this view) of the yellow shock spring. I assume a part of the electrical system - rectifier maybe? - but being electronologically illiterate wouldn't bet my house on it. More to the point, it's not a pretty look, IMHO a bit unfinished, and I imagine that some style of aftermarket cover may be in the offing soon enough. But I also assume that its finned nature implies some sort of heat source, so would any damage occur if it's sealed in? Bike looks good!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
View attachment 165240

What exactly is the ribbed/ finned item sitting inside the bike frame immediately below the rider's seat and outboard (in this view) of the yellow shock spring. I assume a part of the electrical system - rectifier maybe? - but being electronologically illiterate wouldn't bet my house on it. More to the point, it's not a pretty look, IMHO a bit unfinished, and I imagine that some style of aftermarket cover may be in the offing soon enough. But I also assume that its finned nature implies some sort of heat source, so would any damage occur if it's sealed in? Bike looks good!
It is the regulator/rectifier. Converts AC to DC for the battery. I just replied to another friend on facebook about it. Funny that. I hope a cover does come out. The cover could be resigned to have some sort of duct for air flow/cooling. Would be a good idea. As for the yellow, its apart of the Ohlins package.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thanks, hardy. I am aware of the yellow Ohlins stuff - have had it on earlier SP and a late BMW R9T - but the other bit had me puzzled. I have some lovely woven stainless mesh that would look good as a 'breathable' cover in that location, and it would also go nicely with the adjacent polished alloy of the new rear swingarms.

Reactions: hardyhah_09

·
Registered
636 Posts
It is the regulator/rectifier. Converts AC to DC for the battery.
I do not know where it is placed on the FZ, but the MT, it is most awesomely located under the seat. I can only assume they moved it from that location to the side and made it so prominent cause something was going on with the under seat location?

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
2 Posts
Got some Oxford heated grips.

Decided to get rid of the Praying Mantis stock mirrors and replace them with some bar end mirrors.

The inside of the bars is in there pretty damn tight, but luckily bolt for the mirrors I bought fit right in the threads of the OEM bar ends.

View attachment 165230

Had to add some spacers AKA filed down, 40 cent washers from bunnings, otherwise the throttle would stay pinned in place after accelerating :eek:

View attachment 165231

Mirrors on, throttle turns and returns to off when released.

View attachment 165232
Wow you have great taste in motorcycle mods

are those CRG arrow bar end mirrors? How well can you see compared to the stock mirror?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow you have great taste in motorcycle mods

are those CRG arrow bar end mirrors? How well can you see compared to the stock mirror?
No they are cheap eBay mirroea haha. Not great. I will upgrade to better ones soon. These cheapo ones arent even convex :/

1 - 18 of 18 Posts