Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1,300 miles on the bike with all break-in changes performed. Just recently the bike started not turning over on the first hit of the ignition switch. It will turn on the second go, but I’ve noticed that the engine lags if I hit the throttle at all. This occurs whether or not the kill switch is flipped to “ON” before I turn the key on. I’m also sure to let the fuel pump prime before hitting the start switch. If I hit the throttle it will rev up normally, but the revs get caught and stop dropping (almost like I didn’t let up on the throttle.) It’s not a temperature issue because it was consistently 40 degrees outside when I bought the bike and never had a problem. I’ve never had a throttle-by-wire bike, but I’m wondering if it’s an issue with a sensor?

Anyone else have this issue (beside CA bikes and not letting the pump prime)?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sounds like your throttle cable is too tight if the revs dont drop when you let off..........is the throttle returning back to its rest position but the revs still staying up? That would be odd. I would check first to make sure that your throttle is returning by spring pressure to rest. If it isnt, that will be your issue for that problem........add a bit more slack in the cable. There is a sensor on this biek for the ride by wire, but the throttle is still cable actuated. The cable goes from the throttle to this sensor.

As for the cold starting, I havent seen any Yamahas that dont do this. Mine is exactly the same and I dont find it an issue at all. I just hit the starter again. My mates R6 and R1 both do exactly the same thing, nearly identical. Had a laugh at the guy at the dealer when i wanted to hear the new R1 running when I was in one day. Took him literally over a minute to start the bike.

Is that 40 degree F? Dude, that is pretty damn cold. Like 4 and a bit degree C. A few degree above freezing lol. I would very much say that these temps play a part in that. Was 10 degree C (50F) here this morning, and I had to hit the starter twice.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The throttle cable has never been adjusted, but I don't think it wouldn't tighten over the break-in period- stretch out if anything. The throttle returns when I let go, which makes me wonder. I'll check out the cables just in case. The temperature out here was a consistent 40• F when I bought the bike and I had no problems with it at all. Now that the temperature is in the 70s I'm experiencing the problem. Don't think its temp related.
Sounds like your throttle cable is too tight if the revs dont drop when you let off..........is the throttle returning back to its rest position but the revs still staying up? That would be odd. I would check first to make sure that your throttle is returning by spring pressure to rest. If it isnt, that will be your issue for that problem........add a bit more slack in the cable. There is a sensor on this biek for the ride by wire, but the throttle is still cable actuated. The cable goes from the throttle to this sensor.

As for the cold starting, I havent seen any Yamahas that dont do this. Mine is exactly the same and I dont find it an issue at all. I just hit the starter again. My mates R6 and R1 both do exactly the same thing, nearly identical. Had a laugh at the guy at the dealer when i wanted to hear the new R1 running when I was in one day. Took him literally over a minute to start the bike.

Is that 40 degree F? Dude, that is pretty damn cold. Like 4 and a bit degree C. A few degree above freezing lol. I would very much say that these temps play a part in that. Was 10 degree C (50F) here this morning, and I had to hit the starter twice.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Have you got the CCT rattle yet?
Kind of wild, but it might be related - my bike was running rough until the new CCT went in, then after about 300-500 miles, it smoothed right out.
It hasn't really had a starting issue since the first couple of weeks after new though.

Cold starts, that would be nice. I leave the bike covered at work with a nelson rig half cover, so the engine is exposed to the sun all day. Put the key in and turn on and wait for the display - the engine temp was 124F one day this week - before starting it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts