Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys,

SO I have been trying to enjoy the new bike as much as possible, due to a crazy winter here in Central Va its been tough....but I have managed to get 300+ mile on the bike now. Loving it also, one question though was wondering if anyone else was having this come up. After riding for while stop and go traffic when I come to stops I usually shift to neutral depends on traffic and light obviously, well when Im in neutral and go to shift into 1st it like clunks into and bike kinda jumps as expected...now Im no newbie and I have owned other bikes but never a brand new and I know every bike shifts it own way and all. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Cold weather will make it worse .its oil drag on the clutches .had problems with my fz6r untill went back to 10 40 . Try blocking part of the radiator to get the temp up . Which was discussed he all ready

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Adjust the clutch cable freeplay and the clutch lever rotation angle around the handlebar so it is most comfortable to you.

If this is happening after the bike has warmed up, then what is most likely happening is you are not fully disengaging the clutch. You may need to adjust the clutch freeplay to more than the manual recommends to bring the lever closer to the handlebar to put the clutch in a more comfortable position for your hand's strength. This is one of the reasons many use adjustable levers so they can move the lever in and out as desired to adjust to their hand while still maintaining the specified cable freeplay.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine has the same issue, and has nothing to do with clutch adjustment as mine is disengaged by the time the lever is about 1/3 of the way through it's travel. When you release the clutch in neutral, the plates press together. When you pull it back in, some still stick together so when you shift into 1st there's a clunk and jolt. On my Hawk GT, if I don't break them apart in the morning before starting the bike (pull clutch, shift into 1st, the push the bike to free the plates) the first shift from neutral to 1st is hard. After that it's fine. On the FZ, 1st from neutral is always like that, cold or hot. This has been since day one, and is the same three months and 1900 miles on after my second oil change (went to Castrol full synthetic 10-40). At least for mine, it's a characteristic of the bike and not one that I'm fond of. None of my other 3 have this issue.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Mine has the same issue, and has nothing to do with clutch adjustment as mine is disengaged by the time the lever is about 1/3 of the way through it's travel. When you release the clutch in neutral, the plates press together. When you pull it back in, some still stick together so when you shift into 1st there's a clunk and jolt. On my Hawk GT, if I don't break them apart in the morning before starting the bike (pull clutch, shift into 1st, the push the bike to free the plates) the first shift from neutral to 1st is hard. After that it's fine. On the FZ, 1st from neutral is always like that, cold or hot. This has been since day one, and is the same three months and 1900 miles on after my second oil change (went to Castrol full synthetic 10-40). At least for mine, it's a characteristic of the bike and not one that I'm fond of. None of my other 3 have this issue.
I like it.
It's the bikes way of telling you, "Are you ready for this?"
Ha!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Properly adjusted, hot or cold (more so when cold, though), my FZ-09 does the slight "clunk" into 1st gear from neutral, also. That said, so did my former FZ8 and on that bike was considered nature of the beast by the majority of owners. =)

·
Registered
652 Posts
It will also vary with the oil used.Some oils are good,some bad.In my Bandit I have found in order of clunkiness when hot:Mobil 1 4T, Motul 5100, Golden Spectro 4 and smoothest of all Chevron DELO 400.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man cant thank y'all enough for the replies...I figured it could be the clutch adjustment. I have had other bikes and its done similar or actions.

Thanks again guys;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have noticed the clunky tranny. This is my first yamaha and all I can say is I have ways heard things about Yamaha and there transmissions and they where not good things. Over all the bike is rad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts