Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I tried to max out my bike because I'm an idiot (why else?) on the freeway with no traffic.
My bike is totally stock and have not changed the suspension settings yet.
I noticed that north of roughly 90mph is nearly impossible to stay on the bike.
I had to resort to laying almost flat over the tank and using my knees to "hook" myself onto the tank.
This, I feel, is not optimal as I get tank slapped around quite a bit when riding over bumps and other things on the road. I heard it comes down to helmet choice, I have a shoei qwest.
How do you deal with all the extra wind?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had it to 130mph at the track without being blown off...then again I am 5'2" and 130 lbs...I can tuck in pretty well behind the instruments :)
A good windshield will help you with the wind.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Go the speed limit... ;)
+1........maybe more

Oh, and BTW, self admission and recognition of a problem is a good thing!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Rest your helmet chin as far up on the gas tank as possible, keep a firm grip and loose arms. Whatever you do, do not lift your head up until you've slowed down.

A windscreen does help, even the smaller ones.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've had mine to the limiter (132)... we'll say on the track. (Not really the track)

Lean waaaayyyyy forward, clubman bars helped, but yeah I got blown ALL over. It wasn't too bad, and was pretty fun in my opinion.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If you ride with a tail wind, you will not have any extra wind. A windscreen will help but it might hit the top of your helmet as you hit the bumps and things in the road. I kind of like the slowing down, speed limit ideas, but that
might not fit in with your self image or death wish. Remember you can only look good if you die young, AND are able to have an open casket funeral. You can make some adjust to the stock suspension, but at extra legal speeds you have
probably exceeded the suspensions and your own limits in controlling the bike. I will "like" you and see how many more post you can make, hopefully with both hands, and not drinking you dinner with a straw. Cheers!

Ride Safe

·
Registered
464 Posts
the only downside to a naked bike, whenever i go full throttle is over the bridge by my house and the shield on my helmet almost touches my face haha. its fun until your about 5 seconds into it and your neck feels like it wants to snap backwards

·
Registered
102 Posts
I've run up to an indicated 130 a few times. Lots of wind for sure but how bad is a matter of perspective I guess. I grew up riding evil handling fast bikes like Kawi 2 stroke triples and original Z-1s. I was the dumb ass kid in high school who everyone would hand their bike to and say "see how fast it will go" cuz they were too scared to. Compared to some of those 70s vintage man killers the FZ is steady as a rock. Lucky bike have gotten better cuz I still haven't grown up or got much smarter.

·
Registered
154 Posts
lean 45 degrees forward, and hold on tighter. I'll say this, grip with your knees, works well!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Go to a track. Wear all your gear. Get life insurance for the ones you'll leave behind. Don't hurt anyone else.

That's all the ideas I have because I am sure your not going to listen to me telling you to slow down. But you really need to until you don't need to ask questions like "How do I deal with the wind?".

Reactions: jasonk and marthy

·
Registered
185 Posts
For me top speed is not important at all . With this bike for me the fun is the short torque awesomeness ! Tight twisters and wheelies .
That being said i am 200miles into my fz and suspension is a must . Gosh this bike is really fun though , in Hawaii the speed limit doesn't go over 55 and there are no four lane highways . I like the upright position cuz I feel more in controll to throw the bike around and hold tight with your legs .

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
i tend to use my massive testicles to hang on - i have no probs hanging on to naked bikes at 250 kph.

seriously, iv'e never had problems hanging on at speed, no tank slappers, nothing. problems with cars swerving into my lane, sure, but not hanging on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Embrace the wind ... It sure ain't going away on this bike and for me I don't like what tall sunscreens do for the look of the machine. One tip is to limit your time at speed and work out!

·
Registered
885 Posts
i tend to use my massive testicles to hang on - i have no probs hanging on to naked bikes at 250 kph.
To confirm some claims, I might ask for a picture. This time, I'll take your word for it! :undecided:

·
Registered
957 Posts
Honestly you just don't buy naked bikes with top speed runs in mind. You just don't. They're not built for that. If reaching those kinds of speeds is a priority to you, you bought the wrong bike. My FZ-09 will never see the speeds my ZX-6R used to and I'm perfectly okay with that.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts