Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All
Firstly great the be part of this forum.

Ok I’m currently on the hunt for a new road bike , as I’m now looking to return back to the road but all of my other bike have been sport bikes , I’ve never owned a Yamaha either.
I have to say after the test ride of 2014 model with akrapovic exhaust I enjoy the power, but the handling not so much. I’m currently 220 lbs which I believe is the issues as most jap bikes.

I do have a quote to replace front and rear with Ohlin’s which I may head towards.

So I’m wondering if there is anyone on here that fixed the handling issues.

Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Many here have replaced rear shock and front forks springs with 10W oil. Creates a very different, planted, bike. :)

If being 220lbs is really "The Issue" you should seriously consider losing 20lbs. :)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Baddie...if you're on a budget just replace the shock with a zx6r/zx6rr/zx10r shock and replace the front springs and oil.

The 'Search' is your friend.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I'm in (was) in this same boat, weighing 230 when I first bought my FZ-09 a year ago. I endured the stock suspension for almost a year until I upgraded to the Traxxion / Penske setup. The difference was night and day. Today i weigh roughly 200 (30lbs less) (220 geared up), the suspension works just as good. I may have to drop the pre-load down a bit if I loose any weight, but thats no big deal.

As for the turning, its more than just suspension. you have to consider the following in this order:

1. knowing how to counter steer
2. riding technique, knowing how to shift your weight around the bike at the right time.
3. throttle control
4. using your eyes, planning way ahead of each turn
5. Bike geometry, getting the bike balanced properly for your weight
6. Wheel weight, the lighter the faster the bike will flick
7. trail length, shorter is quicker & longer is more stable.
8. Tire size and tire design. Taller tires and different tire profiles can affect the way a bike turns.

There are many other factors, but all the suspension is going to do when turning is stabilize the shifting weight of the bike and rider.

·
Registered
109 Posts
handling on the fz-09 certainly wasn't what i was expecting but it wasn't ranked 'best bang for your buck' (in motorcyclist) for nothing. :) we get a whole lot of bike for under 8k to start and with a few mods it's till the top value in it's class, imo. that said, looks like i need to add suspension modes to my list. always costly.

Reactions: Crosshairs

·
Registered
165 Posts
The bottom line is the stock suspension is shit; both front and rear lack damping.

There are a number of options to improve this with a myriad of posts on this forum discussing it.

The front can be done "on the cheap" with springs, oil and a revalve of the stock right hand cartridge.

You can spend as much as you like on suspension.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you dump money in the suspension (good way to spend money on this bike) you better keep it for many years, or take a bath on the resale. I did the $80 first then suspension updates second. Everything else are just accessories.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Rear shock on EBay $95, Sonic Fork Springs $90, and 10W oil for forks $16.95. Add Labor and you're set for awhile; certainly many years.

It doesn't have to cost an Arm and a Leg. :cool:

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rear shock on EBay $95, Sonic Fork Springs $90, and 10W oil for forks $16.95. Add Labor and your set for awhile.

Good luck finding worthwhile crap on eBay though. Its been picked clean! I am still waiting for a good zx6rr shock to show up.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Good luck finding worthwhile crap on eBay though. Its been picked clean! I am still waiting for a good zx6rr shock to show up.
Patience is a Virtue. :)

Reactions: cthouse

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Rear shock on EBay $95, Sonic Fork Springs $90, and 10W oil for forks $16.95. Add Labor and your set for awhile.

Truth be told, my apparent genius is my innate ability to repeat what's been said to me. :)

In this case, those Great Ideas above came from Marthy.:sign18:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Budget suspension for a budget bike is how most upgrades will go. I took a different approach, bought a cheap motorcycle with a great motor and now ready to put high-end parts on places it is weak at. Since Yamaha has choosen not to do an "R" version with the upgraded suspension I will have it done myself. Might be more expensive but at least it will be correct for me on my bike.

·
Registered
377 Posts

Was it expensive? Yes.

Was it worth it? Yes, Emphatically yes!

for my money, it's a perfect bike (well, except for fuel range) now. I'd do it again instead of buying a gsxr/r1/etc etc.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have taken the "ghetto approach" for the front end which is just springs and oil. .90 springs, and 7.5 wt oil. I got the 7.5 wt oil as opposed to the 10 wt normally recommended because Nick is familiar with the poor state of the roads here in Pittsburgh and felt that I would benefit more for something that sacrificed a little bit for better compliance over bumps.

For the rear end I did the Penske 8983 rear shock. I'm very happy with what I've done to the bike, but a total front end redo with the GP Suspension shim stack kit is in the long term plans for the bike. Makes a HUGE difference.

I don't regret doing what I did, and I love the way the bike behaves now. That being said, however, I don't think I'd do it all over again if I had to. I'd rather spend the extra money up front and buy a bike that came with decent suspension out of the box.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Agreed. I think many of us got caught up in all the excitment of the New Triple, and for that I have no regrets. But Weaponzero, your post rings very true. :)

Reactions: cza888

·
Registered
511 Posts
OP can you share your quote for the Ohlins? Probably the route I'm going to go. Steve you could use to lose 20 pounds, just cut off your head. J/K. I didn't know I wanted a triple until I had one. Now I never want to get rid of it. I'm at 2500 miles and probably will do tires first. Then the Yamaha reflash. Then the suspension. Unfortunately my local independent bike shop closed down, so I'm probably gonna do the work myself.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts