Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
correction on the routing...I did not go through the bracket as the pictures show. however did remove the plastic housing for the turn signals and head light to route it around the ignition switch and the tie wrap is just holding it. clutch cable is the lower one shown in the last picture. the FJ cable is a must if you go with the drag bar.
I've got a pair of Renthal McGrath Shorts that I'm putting on. I'm trying to figure out when clutch cable replacement comes into play. I have a Venhill universal clutch cable kit sitting in my garage. I was going to put it on my dirt bike, but decided to go a different route. So I have no problem replacing FZ cable. But I don't want to go there if I don't have to. Although even with the stock bars, I find that the metal tube on the stock cable gets in the way of good lever placement. So does the flat metal tab that keeps the adjuster from spinning.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
clutch cable change comes into play if you go with either drag or clubman bars. Think anything that's like Pro Taper universal low or Renthal ultra low bars would be fine with the stock cable length. Just keep in mind that Yamaha designed the stock parts to work together, so a mod here may require a mod there to get everything to work like stock.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just an FYI, I put on the McGrath bars. I cut about 45 millimeters from the end of each side. And I have my controls adjusted as far to the inside as I can. That caused the problem with the clutch cable bending too much so I rerouted it like shown on previous pages. Another side effect, prior to rerouting, was that the slack, when turning the bars to the left, pushed the cable down and it got pinched by the steering-stops. Now that I've got it rerouted it's fine with the stock cable.

I don't know about you guys, but I have a hard time accessing the key with a gloved hand. Because I have a Garmin AMPS mount on the bars and a Yamaha windscreen. There's little room to get my hand in there. And it's worse now with the clutch cable routed the new way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
So a few months later since the last post here, let's get the "Bar" thread revived. I just ordered the Buell 1125 CR Tall bars on Ebay from the advise of a couple of respected members here. It is Obvious that many of us here agree a little forward and a little lower bars are required on this bike. From all the reading I have done here it gets confusing - the Pro Taper Carmichael Contour, the Renthal McGrath Short, Rizoma Drag, Buell 1125 Tall, Fat Bar, etc. ??? Have we narrowed it down to 1 or 2 yet? Would be interesting to hear Forum Members chime in with what the have found the best, and see if there is a majority.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I've got the Renthal McGraths, they're really good now that I've shortened them 30mm each side. I couldn't get on with the wider set up.
I don't know how CosmoK got 45mm. I had to open up the inner edge of the clutch and brake cyl mounts to move them right in and the m/cyl is nearly touching the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, I've got the Buell 1125 CR Superbike bars installed, and man what an improvement! So much more riding control than stock bars. They are the same width tip to tip as stock, plenty of room for the controls. Still very comfortable, really don't notice much difference in body position (even though these are 1" lower and 1" more forward than stock). The stock clutch cable works fine, does have more bend to it, but looks to be ok and operation is smooth. I highly recommend these bars for anyone that has not made the move yet! So worth the effort! They can be ordered on line from New Castle Harley Davidson for $86 delivered.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
nice, but you may want to rethink using the stock clutch cable and go with the FJ cable. have read a posting recently on fb, guy boasted about not having any issues using the stock cable with the clubmans, a couple of weeks go by and the cable gave way. some have rerouted the stock cable to work, eh...whatever floats their boat. why take the chance, for piece of mind, the FJ cable goes for about $23. good luck, ride safe...

·
Registered
580 Posts
nice, but you may want to rethink using the stock clutch cable and go with the FJ cable. have read a posting recently on fb, guy boasted about not having any issues using the stock cable with the clubmans, a couple of weeks go by and the cable gave way. some have rerouted the stock cable to work, eh...whatever floats their boat. why take the chance, for piece of mind, the FJ cable goes for about $23. good luck, ride safe...
I couldn't agree with you more. These Buell Superbike bars are not as radical as the Clubman's, but I like to do things right. I already ordered the FJ cable a while ago in preperation, just hasn't arrived yet for install. I could get away with the way it is, but will go with the FJ cable.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
the Buell CR high bar are nice, got my clubmans from a local guy that bought my Buell, sold the bars for $40. he removed it from his CR shortly after buying the bike new in 2008 and kept them in a garage cabinet. thinking I may buy another clubman before the inventory is gone to have as back up just in case the oh shit moment happens, knock on wood.

·
Registered
580 Posts
the Buell CR high bar are nice, got my clubmans from a local guy that bought my Buell, sold the bars for $40. he removed it from his CR shortly after buying the bike new in 2008 and kept them in a garage cabinet. thinking I may buy another clubman before the inventory is gone to have as back up just in case the oh shit moment happens, knock on wood.
Funny you should say that! I had the same thought, I ordered a second pair of the Buell 1125CR Superbike bars too, while they're still available.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
universal low is lower then the carmichael bend, had them on my bike before. go to pro taper web site and look at the contour bars, click on the specs it will list each bar by part numbers and specs.
I have a black Rizoma drag bar for sale if you're interested, pm me.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Ok, without reading a boatload of threads, what handlebars place the controls:
1. Approx 1" lower
2. Approx 1" forward
3. Approx 1"-2" wider
Thx

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Clubmans, various versions and adapters to move it forward. Think extreme creations has the adapters, unsure how far forward they move the risers.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
It sounds like you need flat bars troop, but I can't see why you want wider. With the standard bars I felt like the kite part of kite surfing.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It sounds like you need flat bars troop, but I can't see why you want wider. With the standard bars I felt like the kite part of kite surfing.
Yeah ... Likely just a bit lower to get a bit more forward lean. My stockers are rotated as much as they go.

** Just read thru a crap load of threads and did some guesstimates in my garage. "Looks" like some Renthal Fatbar street lows would be a nice change. A bit lower and a bit less sweep. Sure would be nice to sample some fitments tho :( **

·
Registered
57 Posts
Nobody mentionned the Hurricane bars?!? They are made for this bike and they come pre-drilled... I realy like them... And with thrstrmech relocation plate for the gauge, it's perfect!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Ok, so after researching the options, I've decided on the Pro Taper Carmichael bend bar in black.

Any feedback or insight on these?

I assume for my bar end mirrors (cheapo ebay 2" round ones) I'll also need to buy some sort of adaptor - and will I also need to tap the bar end?

No other parts needed for this transition?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have woodcraft clip on, they are pretty aggressive and a tight fit for the controls, its a nice setup but i think a bit too aggressive for me, about to switch to the pro taper contours myself

101 - 120 of 124 Posts