Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've seen a lot of random posts about the handlebars. The designers of the bike wanted it to be a very upright bike, but a lot of riders seem to think it needs a shift forward. What kind of handlebars is everyone thinking of installing? I think a more forward stance would improve the overall balance and make higher speeds less windy. At about 80+ i feel like i am starting to fly away.

-z

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forget, were you bars damaged?

"and make higher speeds windy" I'm not sure what you meant by that.

To me leaning forward more than stock is good because at speed the wind supports your weight.
A bit of a typo, thanks for noticing i edited it. It should say less windy.

I'm not sure if they were or not. If they are it's only slightly, the bar end is scraped up but not too bad considering! The handle bars did manage to dent the tank, or it appears they did because they don't touch it anymore. If you happen to know how close the right side (throttle/front break) comes to the tank that would be really helpful to me. Mine come about 1/4-1/2" within hitting it. But that could just be my steering stop being a little damaged.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Looks like there is in fact some damage/bend to the bars. I really don't want to take apart the steering, so i'll take the bars off and go from there. Now i gotta find some good aftermarket options.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I could definitely use all the how to tips i can get.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I replaced my handlebars and its the best mod I've made so far.
The stock bar height is 50mm and I replaced with the rizoma MA010E (15mm) bars (Universal Handlebars by Rizoma Bikes Accessories -).
It only took me a couple hours to replace and riding position is much better - its only a slight difference so you're not putting too much pressure on your hands but the weight balance seems much more natural. Tank clearance isn't a problem but if you went with straight bars I think it would be an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts