Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using handlebar risers? I saw another post where someone may have tried Rox risers but no answer on whether or not cables are long enough? Want to make sure they are before I order something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would it be easier to get higher bars, seems like it would be more work moving all the controls over.
I'd rather stick with factory bars.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Why would it be easier to get higher bars, seems like it would be more work moving all the controls over.
I'd rather stick with factory bars.
maybe he meant by "easier" that there have been many users that have switched handlebars compared to buying risers. There is just more real world testing done with this method so far.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
Put in a taller handlebar, it will be easier due to the twist in the stock handlebar clamps

·
Registered
511 Posts
Put in a taller handlebar, it will be easier due to the twist in the stock handlebar clamps
That still leads to the same question risers Vs taller handle bars how much cable length do you have on either ?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
The stock risers are angled, and the dash mounts off them too.
not sure what kind of generic risers would work. I do know that lots of fatbars work. So.....
easier to change the bars. All cables/hoses/etc worked fine with the RC high bars.

·
Super Moderator
4,341 Posts
When I put risers on my DR650, they were nothing more than a couple of billet barrels about 1 inch long and came with longer bolts.
So that allowed me to use the OEM bar clamps.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so does anyone have pictures of their bike with risers. s fortuna you said you used rox risers, I guess you had enough cable. Can you post a pic. Or Keef do you have a picture of your handlebars. I would like to get an idea of what it is going to look like and how cables work out. I want it to look as much as stock as possible. On my previous bike Ninja 650 it was just a matter of unbolting and lifting bar up and sticking risers in, but since no one makes risers specifically for FZ09 kinda worries me a bit.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You should be able to use a set of riser clamps like s fortuna is using, I don't see why those wouldn't work.

riser-clamps.JPG

From what I can see the instrument cluster mounts off the bottom part of the stock handle bar clamp as shown below. As long as the riser clamps are not in the way of the instrument cluster mounts, it should work fine.

09-clamps.JPG

I am not sure if you can get away with the billet barrels style riser as shown below. Unless the stock mounting bolt can be removed and replaced with a the longer bolt???

Only someone who has had the handle bar clamps taken apart can answer that. From the Yamaha parts picture, they appear to be part of the lower clamp.

dr-risers.JPG

·
Registered
962 Posts
For the GPR stabilizer, part of the kit is riser clamps, so the stabilizer fits under the bars.

NEW - Yamaha FZ09 Kits!, GPR Stabilizer

View attachment 16317
The cables, wires, and brake lines are long enough for taller/wider bars or for risers (ie: the ones that come with the GPR stabilizer). But the brake lines aren't long enough to do both. I didn't realize it until I got the stabilizer. Anyone know if the cables and wires are long enough for both? I'm glad I didn't upgrade to stainless brake lines yet - because I'll just order 35mm longer ones.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You could see what GPR has to say??? by sending them and email and asking. Since they should know after test fitting a kit in the first place.

Contact, GPR Stabilizer

·
Registered
833 Posts
Did you find that you had enough cable and wire length when you inserted the risers or was modification required?
Pulled the trigger on these this morning. I will post pics and let you know how the install goes once I have them.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Pulled the trigger on these this morning. I will post pics and let you know how the install goes once I have them.
What exactly is the issue you are trying to resolve? In looking at the FZ09 ergos, it indicates a "zero" forward lean. I had risers on a Suzuki SV650N, but the forward lean on that bike as stock was fairly high, and risers reduced that issue. But just sitting on the FZ it seems like the riding position relative to the bars is very neutral. Are you finding the riding position uncomfortable?

·
Registered
833 Posts
I guess the zero lean would be relative to the length of your arms. At 5'6" , I guess my arms are shorter than most. At my age, if I can reduce a little pressure on my wrists I will.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Making the bars higher on risers won't make them move closer to you.
Do you want the bars closer to you or higher?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts