Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys thinking of getting some handguards and heated grips.

For the handguards thinking of either the SW-Motech Kobra Handguards ( doesnt look like too much protection but I think I can buy extensions)
or the ones Givi makes. Also barkbuster makes a set "storm".
Links : Givi HP2115 , SW-Motech Kobra , Barkbuster Storm

Was seeing if anyone had any experience with either of these before I purchase

For heated grips trying to decide between the Oxfords (great reviews) and the Yamaha OEM ones. The Yamaha ones I know plug right into my 2017 but I have seen
some poor reviews on them. Not sure if these are accurate or not. The oxfords seem to have gotten pretty solid reviews and have an auto shutoff feature. The grips themselves
seem higher quality than the Yamaha OEM ones.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought the Koso Apollo heated grips. The light on the left grip tells me in a moment where they're set (or if I forgot to turn them off - mine are wired direct at this point). Push button for easy set on the fly. Not one complaint with them, I would buy them again. They are a bit pricey, but worth the extra in my book.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Can't speak for any of the products you listed, but I have the Symtec Heat Demons (with the plastic rocker switch) and they get nice and toasty. If you're getting hand guards these would be more than adequate. Factor in a couple extra bucks for new grips though because you'll have to cut the OEMs off to install. My switch is mounted inconspicuously using the bottom bolt from the left mirror and is reachable while holding the grip.

With just the heated grips and some cold weather riding gloves I can usually do my 20 minute work commute on the highway with temps into the low 20s (without guards). If you decide on a set of guards to block the wind you could probably go all day in freezing weather with the combination of the two.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't think I've seen this yet... but has anyone used heated grips with other "grips" over the heating elements? Or are they integrated into the grip material itself.

For example, I really like my pillow-top MX grips, but it would be nice to have them heated.
I suppose you're stuck with whatever grip the heated ones come with.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Someone sells an element that you fit under your own grip, don't remember where I saw them. Not sure how effective they would be, they may heat the handlebars more than the grip.

Heated grips I believe tend to be a bit bigger diameter than standard grips.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Someone sells an element that you fit under your own grip, don't remember where I saw them. Not sure how effective they would be, they may heat the handlebars more than the grip.
The ones I linked in my last post are exactly as you described. Put the heating element on the bar (with a layer or two of electrical tape beneath to insulate), then put a pair of grips of your choosing on top.

They work surprisingly well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ones I linked in my last post are exactly as you described. Put the heating element on the bar (with a layer or two of electrical tape beneath to insulate), then put a pair of grips of your choosing on top.

They work surprisingly well.
Ah no shit. Cool. I’ll check them out.

Just bought a pair. Looking forward to installing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts