Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering why so many people install hand guards on their street bikes? I can understand if it's a dual sport, but a full street bike that has no chance of going off road unless it's due to rider error? Please enlighten me!

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ever had a june bug crack across a knuckle at 70mph? :D
Seriously, there's that bug protection + a diminished flow of cold air across the hands. That's helpful when the temps drop and you want to take a long ride. I've had factory hand guards on several bikes while owning other bikes that lacked them. The difference was noticeable.
The ones I found made by Powermadd for the FZ-09 have pop-out panels to allow more airflow in warmer weather while still offering summer bug protection.
IMG_7379b.JPG

PS: Other than moving the mirror perches over 1/2 an inch, there was no modification needed to either bike nor hand guards. All I had to do was install the mounts on the opposite sides (left on right and right on left) with them curl over and down instead of under and up so they'd clear everything.

IMG_7380.jpg

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ride a '07 R1 as well so I know what bugs feel like! But I wear full gear no matter where I go so only take hits from bugs in the neck where my jacket and helmet don't meet in the front if I'm not in a full tuck. My gloves are leather with carbon armor so bugs hitting there I don't feel. But I've hit bugs on the track going 150+!! For cold weather riding I just wear freeze out liners under my gloves. Seems to do the job just fine.

Reactions: v2Bob

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Just wondering why so many people install hand guards on their street bikes? I can understand if it's a dual sport, but a full street bike that has no chance of going off road unless it's due to rider error? Please enlighten me!
Form over function. Take, for instance, the Ducati Hypermotard. The first time I saw one, I was impressed, and I have never been a Ducati fan. I don't ever plan on taking my streetbike off-road, but I don't mind a little wind, bug, rock protection as an added benefit to something that makes my Street Fighter look more badass.

Sometimes I get jacked up. Answer me this. Why does the FZ come with strictly off-road handlebars, as in Pro Taper type? It is a street bike. Because they are friggin cool, that's why; they could have fitted the bike with standard 7/8" handlebars. Any other professors on here want to over analyze why some of us do certain mods for our own fancies.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
One more reason is crash protection, it saves levers, and the large plastic surface makes a great slider.
Good point, but at that point, I could care less. I am hoping that I do not have to keep a wrecked bike. I am not one to have a very slow get off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any other professors on here want to over analyze why some of us do certain mods for our own fancies.
Dude it was a simple question! I understand the dirt bike type bars, they are strictly for comfort. The goal of this bike is comfort and a low cost. Probably why the engineers didn't use the FJR type bars with risers. More expensive with the same end result as the dirt bike bars. I'm not questioning peoples mods, just trying to understand why people do what they do to their bikes.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't have them yet but intend to get them soon. The vast majority of my bikes have been knocked over by cars trying to park where they shouldn't. (Yay urban life!) Coming out to a knocked over bike and an empty spot next to it is way worse when your clutch lever is snapped off! And it's almost always that side for some reason! My bikes that have had real hand guards have never lost a lever to jacka$$ parking knock overs. Plus as a person who used to play around on the dirt track I'm into the supermoto look for sure! :)

Daniel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
Weather, bugs,rocks, and tipover protection. About the only bikes I wouldn't put them on would be a cruiser or a pure sportbike.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Dude it was a simple question! I understand the dirt bike type bars, they are strictly for comfort. The goal of this bike is comfort and a low cost. Probably why the engineers didn't use the FJR type bars with risers. More expensive with the same end result as the dirt bike bars. I'm not questioning peoples mods, just trying to understand why people do what they do to their bikes.
You asked it on two different posts, and you other comment was less of a question. Didn't mean to pick on you because several people have been making similar comments on all of the handguard threads. I am not going into a seat thread, and stating, "Why would you put a cruiser style seat on a Naked Standard Bike?" It is a offhand passive way of being a dick.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I asked it once in the first post. The second was reiterating my intent on the first post in case there was a question of me trying to be "a dick". Sorry to ruffle your feathers. Coming from the super sport crowd I'm new to the naked bike world. I guess you go with what you're used to. I'm not used to this new riding style, the look, or the mods people do for form and/or function. But to each his own I guess.

·
Banned
161 Posts
I prefer to just have good gloves...they offer enough protection against large bugs.

·
Banned
161 Posts
Unnecessary weight!

·
Registered
365 Posts
I like the wind protection they offer. Not worried about weight im not gonna race ama with it. If I was worried about a few oz I would start exercising.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I don't know about you guys. But I like the extra protection they offer from the weather.
I plan to commute on the bike in season. The more warmth the better. Oxford heated grips are going on as well.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts