Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to the Yamaha site my ECU was reflashed by the dealer before I ever bought the bike. I have since had a performance flash done by Moore Mafia using woolich racing software.

The other day after a spirited run in the mountains I pulled over noticed check engine light was on bike was running rough at idle and had no throttle. I was also locked out of my settings menu on the dash. Sounds like one of the problems the ecu recall talks about. Turned off bike waited 20 mins fired bike up no check engine light and running fine.

Is it possible that once I had the performance flash done the woolich racing base image maps were not updated and brought the ecu back to its trouble state?

thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I would say that is a reasonable concern. Have you tried reaching out to Moore Mafia to see if they were aware of the recall and updated their firmware to compensate?
I spoke with them before I brought it in and he told me to get recall flash done first which I did. I also spoke to woolich racing they said since their base maps were updated they included the ecu patch and said technically I wouldn’t even need the recall flash but would advise against skipping the recall. Just wondering if Moore mafia loaded an old map wiping out my recall patch.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Before condemning the tune, how was the bike prior?
You may have a sensor error or voltage problem causing the check engine light fault.
Sensors can and do fail. Wire connectors lose contact battery cables can twist loose from current surge etc.
I would have diagnostics ran on it to see for sure to keep from chasing your tail.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Before condemning the tune, how was the bike prior?
You may have a sensor error or voltage problem causing the check engine light fault.
Sensors can and do fail. Wire connectors lose contact battery cables can twist loose from current surge etc.
I would have diagnostics ran on it to see for sure to keep from chasing your tail.
Well the bike only has 1500 miles on it I would hope nothing is going bad on it already. The bike performed flawlessly and has been even after the incident. Don’t get me wrong the tune feels excellent I’m just thinking it might have been flashed with a pre recall base map. I spoke to woolich racing and the said that it’s very possible that could have happened. I’m taking the ecu in to Chris Moore today hopefully he can at least pull the code.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well the bike only has 1500 miles on it I would hope nothing is going bad on it already. The bike performed flawlessly and has been even after the incident. Don’t get me wrong the tune feels excellent I’m just thinking it might have been flashed with a pre recall base map. I spoke to woolich racing and the said that it’s very possible that could have happened.
Speak to the tuner, they need to update their base maps then. And they should reflash yours at no charge.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good deal.
I work with new out of the crate engines every day often see bad pcms, sensors, throttle bodies etc.
That's right thing to do go back to the source of tune.
Please post back the findings in case anyone else runs in to the same troubles.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would first check fault memory to see what fault is logged, I doubt it would have anything to do with the flash it's self if they used the recall bin file as the base map for their tune, they might have not plugged in something correctly or it is a sensor fault, the fault code should steer you in the right direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts