Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well- I am at a point of pause I will call it, since I'm not sure you are ever "done" with a bike build. I bought her in September, with most of these changes planned. After receiving the forks back today, she is buttoned up and ready to roll:

Penske double clicker
AK-20 Cartridges
Core Moto brake lines
Dunlop Q3's
Puig windscreen
Pro Taper (Carmichael) handlebar
Home-made fender eliminator
Mini-stalk turn signals
Graves block off plates
KEV's O2 sensor
CRG bar end mirrors
Mobil 1 T4 synthetic

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am not ruling out an Akrapovic exhaust and re flash, but I work a "power" shift and get home around 0330- so a nice quiet exhaust us just fine for now.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Everything looks very clean and tasteful. Nice job. Now get out there and enjoy it!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finally got around to moving the rear reservoir, with a homemade bracket made out of an old street sign (aluminum.) I wish I remembere which member used this same mounting point so I could give credit where due for the mounting idea. Using a security Torx T50 bit removes the subframe bolt, and locating it here allows cutting the stock brake line without re-routing or replacing.

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Old street signs are very handy, especially for making brackets. This mount centers and raises the gauge cluster, making the ignition still easy to access. (Prepped for Woodcraft bars :cool:)

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
I enjoy seeing your craftsmanship! Would like to see the fender eliminator better!
Looks like a Yoshi Fender Eliminator.... If So.... I Just installed mine - its a little tedious but with nice instructions, and I like it...

Bike looks great GunPup, have you thought about tip over protection ?!?!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Great work! Bet she rides much better with the upgraded springs...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rear shock was the single best upgrade. Period. The forks were icing on that cake, and the bike rides fantastic! The shock alone settled the rear end from squatting, and brought control to the shock, which helped the front end by not letting the bike buck back and forth.

The fender elim is homemade. I cut the stock mount at an angle, and welded the license plate holder from my SV1000 to it- so I could keep the stock lock cover. I used the Targa LED strip for a license plate light,and riveted on a Kydex bracket to hold it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

As far as crash protection- yes, looking at the GB Racing covers. Between a patient wife, kids sports and OT shifts for the funds we will get to it soon. Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, the small opening for the key started bugging the snot out of me, so scrap that bracket and fab a new one. This bracket mounts to the four bolts above the headlight, and tucks the dash into the windscreen. It took some work with tight tolerances to get everything just right, but now is completely out of the way of the key, and centered nicely. Woodcraft bars are on, and amazing. If you are running the stock bar risers, the 1" drop is as far as you can go with the 10mm spacer to have the switch clusters clear the tank. The 1 1/2" drop is just barely too much, letting the bars touch. The riding position ROCKS!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

·
Registered
990 Posts
Well, the small opening for the key started bugging the snot out of me, so scrap that bracket and fab a new one. This bracket mounts to the four bolts above the headlight, and tucks the dash into the windscreen. It took some work with tight tolerances to get everything just right, but now is completely out of the way of the key, and centered nicely. Woodcraft bars are on, and amazing. If you are running the stock bar risers, the 1" drop is as far as you can go with the 10mm spacer to have the switch clusters clear the tank. The 1 1/2" drop is just barely too much, letting the bars touch. The riding position ROCKS!

View attachment 20035
Do you have a picture of that from further back? front and quartering front views?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You need a bench grinder to round off the bracket corners. Looks great though....especially the trim job on the countershaft cover.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awesome build, love the white wheels!

If you have an issue with the seat, check out the grout sponge mod or look into seat concepts. There are many seat vendors out there now!

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
like your second bracket, memoosejr and I worked on his bike several weeks ago and reused a bracket intented to go with a Ducati Monster bikini fairing which I was plannning to mount to the fz. a little tweaking here and there, we got it done to his bike. let me know if you have issues with the current setup of the speedo bracket...here's where it's currently at on my bike
CAM00934.jpg
CAM00937.jpg
CAM00939.jpg

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I remember seeing that- I like it. No issues with the current setup at all, it's perfect- tucked nicely out of the way while being very visible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts