Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I picked up some frame sliders while I wait for the legit Yamaha engine guards to come in. Would someone mind giving me a play-by-play of how to go about installing these? I'm fairly new to vehicle modification in general and want to ensure I do it correctly.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part Car Engine

- Do I need to use a torque wrench to take out / re-insert the engine bolts? I gave one a quick test with an allen key and it didn't want to budge.
- Do they need to be tightened to a specific pressure?
- Which point would you mount the sliders on? They don't stick out very much in either position. I've seen one other bike here with them mounted on the top.

These are the sliders I picked up:
Frame Slider Yamaha FZ1 FZ1N Fazer 06 10 Carbon Fiber | eBay

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I wouldn't use a torque wrench to remove the bolts, that could compromise your torque wrench accuracy when tightening. What you need a a breaker bar, its heavy duty and you can put your whole body weight on it.

I would install them on the forward engine bolts since they are most likely to hit the ground first.

Do one side at a time

If removing is too tuff, spray a little WD-40 on it and give it a few minutes to penetrate.

once removed, clean off the area with a rag.

Prep your new slider / slider bolts, add locktite if instructed

Install the slider by hand till its too tight, then use the torque wrench.

As far as torque goes, not sure what your frame slider manufacturer says, but here is an instruction from Graves, they did mine and are well versed in all things Yamaha.

http://www.gravesport.com/instructions/fsy-14fz09-xx.pdf

Per the instructions in the Graves PDF, use 45Nm / 33ft. lbs.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great, thanks guys. These are pretty OEM sliders from ebay, they didn't come with any instructions nor is there a manufacturer to reference. Suggestions on what to do here? Again I'm waiting for the engine guards to come in (they're 2 months overdue :( ) but I'd like to have these on as well. It could be that the graves instructions for tightening are just fine?

Or would you just avoid them entirely as they're cheap versions?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I can't comment about the ebay ones, for $25 you get what you pay for.

if your waiting for the Yamaha oem case guards, I wouldn't rely on those entirely either. The frame is a better candidate for impact than the engine, I would try to focus all of any energy on the frame first, then the engine. So If your going with the Yamaha oem case guards, get yourself a set of quality frame sliders as a first defense.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
The link you gave for the sliders doesn't claim they fit the FZ09. Put one of the slider bolts in the slider, take one of the mount bolts out of the bike, be sure the new bolt will reach in as far as the original. Not far enough and you can strip threads.

Also the base of the slider needs to fit into the area around the original bolt head. The base of the slider can't be much more than 1 1/16 inches.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
The link you gave for the sliders doesn't claim they fit the FZ09. Put one of the slider bolts in the slider, take one of the mount bolts out of the bike, be sure the new bolt will reach in as far as the original. Not far enough and you can strip threads.

Also the base of the slider needs to fit into the area around the original bolt head. The base of the slider can't be much more than 1 1/16 inches.
In other words.. toss em

Put them back on Ebay.

If your going to do it, do it right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, thanks guys, some good advice here. I'll take out an engine bolt and compare it to the bolt these sliders came with, if they're the same size I'll probably try them out at least to get the hang of installing them, then get in on the group-buy for the Woodcrafts.

Thanks!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts