Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate enough to be the first one with a guhl tuned fz09 and let me start by saying that Don is an extremely knowledgeable tuner and a great guy as well as the rest of the staff at guhl motors. I dropped my bike off with a yosh full system and about 5000 miles on it.
The tune is pretty standard as far as what he did. The results how ever not so much. The bike feels totally different and certainly for the better. He was able to raise the rev limit 500 rpm, remove the speed limiter, fix the snatchy throttle, block the air injection, and remove the engine braking.

The first thing I noticed when I hoped on was the throttle didn't have that on off feeling it was a lot more refined and smoothed out. Also due to the soft suspension the first sweeping turn you noticed the engine braking or lack of and it helps the bike out a ton and helps keep the suspension more stable allowing for much smoother cornering. Upon exiting the first turn rolling hard into 2/3rd gear the thing pulls like a freight train. Even in high gear at lower rpm you notice the power come on a lot harder and smoother than stock. My bike made 107 the way I dropped it off and affer it was all said and done it made just a hair over 112.

I did have a chance to compare my bike to my buddies who has the same thing minus the flash and it is might and day difference between the two power wise and just the way the power comes on and how much harder it pulls in every gear at at speed/rpm

Over all I could not be happier with the tune and strongly I mean strongly reccomend it to everyone. You will not be disappointed, how every there may be a few 600 riders that will be

Sent from my torque wrench.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
How much and where is he located?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His turn around is also very quick

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Mine was done by Nick....The same Nick in the article.

Nick = Priceless

·
Registered
43 Posts
True but that being said I'd much rather pay more to unlock the full potential of my bike. From the way his post read it sounds like it was a dyno tune not just a flash, which cost more and the tuner killed the speed sensor so he had to use the new program.

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking vcyclenut at all btw and I do agree that it is a buyers market. If a simple flash is what you need/want $80 is an awesome price. For me though, paying $275 for a custom tune and removing the speed sensor is a fair price. I hope I can find a shop around SoCal when the time comes. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'm sure you get what you pay for. I can't say as this is my first time doing a ecu flash or having one done but I would gladly pay more for great customer support and the satisfaction of know it was done properly. If you can't afford a 8000$ bike you can afford a 275 flash

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The bike runs totally differnt. It isn't just the fueling and timing maps that changed. That's just a small part of it and after having it done I know realize how other changes can make the bike feel way better than the factory while brining out it's true power.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I doubt the 80$ flash spent hours refining the throttle by wire maps to make the bike seem less with power delivery and eliminate the "twitch" or snatchyness as well as remove the speed limiter, and yes it's gone because it does 130 in 4h now before the limiter and 5th keeps pulling like a freight train. Also eliminating the engine braking dramatically improved the cornering of the bike

·
Registered
43 Posts
The $80 flash does just that, it refines the throttle to negate the twitch and hard engine braking. From my understanding, the only thing the $80 flash tune can't do is remove the speed limiter and have a custom tune for your specific bike w/mods. You can get "can" tunes for your make and model bike, even get can tunes with your supporting mods but it wont be custom for your bike. Not that can tunes vs custom tunes is worth the extra $195, but add in the speed limiter being removed and it might be. It would/will be for me.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
It covers engine braking, fuel cut, throttle twitch, default ride mode on start up, cruise control, M4 fuel map is available, Akra carbon and Akra Ti maps are coming... For $80. He also offers options for throttle mapping in all modes, from quick turn, stock, reduced traction, cooling fan temp on/off custom setting, you choose... It is probably the most customizable reflash I've ever seen. It's not a "reflash"... You can literally choose what the flash changes and how it changes it, as you like, it doesn't have to be like anyone else's flash. For $80.

He has quite a following, and excellent reviews from board members who have flashed their 09s. I'm only stating this because the assumption that his flash doesn't address certain areas, is false.

You should be proud of your tune, and bike... But I wouldn't walk into a forum and openly trash a tuner/flash that you admittedly know nothing about.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wasn't trying to trash them I just would have never guess for 80$ you get much more than a fuel map. But hey if it works it works. I'm beyond tickled with my guhl flash and will be def going back for any future tuning needs

·
Registered
314 Posts
It isn't always about price either! Let's not forget the convenience factor. I paid the $80 for vcyclenuts flash, and my bike was only down for 2.5 days. I have ZERO regrets with his tune... With that being said, if Stoltec still did flashes I would have went with him ONLY because I would have been able to take a nice cruise out there, have them do it, and take a nice cruise home.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Those guys had the FZ8 well sort out too. Good to see more suppliers showing up. More options the better.

All come down to personal preference on witch vendor or supplier each of us want to do business with. My exhaust hasn't been very popular but I still believe it's one of the best package out there. But what I like might not reflect what everyone else like and it's all good... never took it too personal. Customer were happy with the few I sold and that's what matter to me.

As far as I know... I still can claim having the first bike with an exhaust & tune. LOL That's priceless! :)

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well I'm sure you get what you pay for. I can't say as this is my first time doing a ecu flash or having one done but I would gladly pay more for great customer support and the satisfaction of know it was done properly. If you can't afford a 8000$ bike you can afford a 275 flash
I can afford a $275.00 flash..I could affford a $2750.00 flash.....but why would I pay any more than I had to......The vendor who is doing them for $80.00 is not a fly by night guy......his flash is every bit as good as the $275.00 flash.......he just charges less.

Reactions: Evil Mechanic
1 - 20 of 66 Posts