Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
So I'm new to the forum but have been scouting it for a while now. I bought my Yellow '15 with 1k miles just under a month ago and have been loving the bike, but as per a lot of peoples tif with the bike, the rear shock is lacking for me. I'm 6'0" and 175lbs - 185lbs geared up and have found the rear shock and front lacking. ive adjusted it to my weight and size and its definitely better but I enjoy canyon carving and general street carving in my free time. I know the most common budget swap is the ZX10R rear swap but I was hoping to find a more easily doable swap (avoiding having to plug and re-drill the lower mounting hole). Ive only come across a handful of forums of people talking about a GSXR1000 rear shock swap and after doing some research its shorter than the ZX10R shock, but still just 2mm longer than our stock shock, but add's on different adjustability. If anyone has anything on doing a 2003-2004 GSXR1000 rear shock swap available it would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise ill probably just spend the $50 and order one and attempt to do it this winter and see how she feels.

Cheers!

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have done the gsxr shock swap. Although i used a 05-06 1000 shock i had laying around. It was shorter than the stock mt shock so i made some jack up plates to even out the geometry. It will work and it will be fine but the gsxr shocks have more travel. The problem is you are buying a 15 year old shock that will almost certainly need a strip down service and then maybe a spring for your weight. In the end i ended up buying a Matris m46kd and couldn't be happier with the outcome.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Im in a similar boat. Literally got my FZ-09 the other night. Surprisingly bouncy when transitioning turns. Will do some research to fix this.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Wrong forum, but if you can make a boat less bouncy please let me know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, then I'll be able to go fishing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts