Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
I have ridden in larger groups, and never enjoyed any of it. For "group rides" I usually stick to two riders 95% of the time, and no more than 4 or 5 good riders the rest of the time.

After experiencing the Mob Mentality in a couple big group rides, was enough for me. It's sad to see how one or two idiot riders can drag down an entire group to their stupidity level.

stupidity.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Majority of the time I ride solo. When riding with other folks, the group size is normally 2 or 3 riders. Have been on rides with 20 + riders, but prefer smaller groups or solo.

Sometimes it's handy having more than one person when there are mechanical issues, too.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Just another guy saying more of the same. I am not comfortable at all when there are more than 5-6 bikes anymore. When I started riding I thought I would like group outings but after two attempts I know it isn't for me. I ride with 1-2 people I feel comfortable with most of the time and feel much better about my safety!

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
I have a dedicated buddy John that I ride with all the time ..we met at a group ride back in 2003 we had at least 8 to 12 FZ1's in group rides back then and then after a few years some dropped out and some others joined but then at a time it was just him and I riding every nice Saturdays and most of the time on Sundays also...some got married and or had kids and moved away..In the group rides I did learn a lot from some of the riders and then learned what not to do..so in the end most everyone has moved on and it all just came down to John and I most every weekend and we are still going at it all this time.. I must say if he is not with me on a ride it just seems like something is missing so my day ends sooner than it would if he was out there with me... We know each others habits and I can anticipate what he is going to do B4 it happens ... Glad I ran into this guy he is dedicated to the ride as much as I am !!
Abe, you need to drag John along with you to the Rally in June. There would just be no downside to this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
In the group I ride with there are many different rider levels and different bikes...We always stack better riders in front to not so great riders in back....No peer pressure or pushing you past your limits....We do have a little committee though and if you are dangerous you're ousted...Kinda like drinking.... Only the happy drunks allowed...No liquid courage dh's....

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
345 Posts
Just found this thread - I agree that I really prefer to ride alone or maybe with 1 other trusted friend. I don't mind occasional group rides, but I much prefer to 'ride my own pace' which is easier alone, and then socialize over lunch or dinner someplace along the route.
Whenever I'm in a group I seem to always either end up in the back - bored with the pace, or way out front waiting for everyone to catch up and worried that I'm going to cause one of my friends to get in an accident because they are pushing their limits to keep up with the pace I set.

I've done a few big charity rides in the past and the only way I've found to enjoy those is to get the route itinerary ahead of time and ride 'ahead' of the big group, then park and watch all the bikes roll into a stop. Once the group arrives at a stop I'll socialize for a little while then hop on and ride to the next stop ahead of the group again.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
Just found this thread - I agree that I really prefer to ride alone or maybe with 1 other trusted friend. I don't mind occasional group rides, but I much prefer to 'ride my own pace' which is easier alone, and then socialize over lunch or dinner someplace along the route.
Whenever I'm in a group I seem to always either end up in the back - bored with the pace, or way out front waiting for everyone to catch up and worried that I'm going to cause one of my friends to get in an accident because they are pushing their limits to keep up with the pace I set.

I've done a few big charity rides in the past and the only way I've found to enjoy those is to get the route itinerary ahead of time and ride 'ahead' of the big group, then park and watch all the bikes roll into a stop. Once the group arrives at a stop I'll socialize for a little while then hop on and ride to the next stop ahead of the group again.

This is probably a better location for this discussion than a hijacked thread.

Big group rides: for me are a very rare occurrence and depends on the group. If I know the majority of the riders and it's a casual sight seeing type ride I'll go. If it's not I won't. I'm not a fan of charity rides, poker runs, and other cruiser rides that involve frequent alcoholic drinking stops.

I am a social rider, so I prefer not to ride alone. I enjoy sharing the experience even if we don't talk at all during the ride. It's also nice to have company in case something unfortunate such as a break down or accident happens. My typical group size ranges 2-6 riders maybe 7 or 8 on the rare occasion.

I have no problem riding my own ride and keeping the pace where I'm am comfortable. All I ask is that everyone I ride with does the same. I like to break down the ride into segments where everyone knows the next stop (which is usually a turn onto a new road). This acts as a collection point for those riding a slower pace to rejoin those that are riding a faster pace. This way no one feels pressured to keep up and they know that they won't be left behind. That and I like to have a designated sweeper who knows the route well and keeps the rear of the group.

If possible, I try to group those I ride with by pace. By this I mean, I won't mix a slower Rider with a really fast Rider if they don't know each other prior to the ride. That and I like to introduce new riders to the group one at a time, this way there is only one new member to the group on any one ride.

I will ride solo, but I find that I'm less adventurous in where I go and see when I'm alone.

·
Registered
172 Posts
For a day ride, I can tolerate riding with maybe 5-6 guys as long as we are equally experienced and have the same riding mindset. Years ago I hosted a group ride for some forum members who were visiting from out of state, 11 riders - (strangers who had never ridden together) what a shit show, never again.

For multi-day, multi-state road trips, I am very selective and only ride with my brother and 1-2 very close riding buddy's, We collectively choose a destination and then I create the route, make the schedule and book all hotel accommodations.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Can you hijack a dead thread? Maybe refreshed is a better word. Personally I do not like riding with strangers or HD riders. I like to ride alone, its all me.

Ride Sane.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
Can you hijack a dead thread? Maybe refreshed is a better word. Personally I do not like riding with strangers or HD riders. I like to ride alone, its all me.

Ride Sane.

If you're referring to my comment, psychoreefer and I started the riding conversation on the social distancing thread. This old thread was more fitting and I think gladly refreshed 😁!

·
Registered
2016 xsr 900
345 Posts
Muc was referring to another thread where we started discussing group rides....then I dug up this fossil to continue the discussion rather than lead the other one even further off topic.

·
Registered
2020 MT-09
313 Posts
If you have multiple personalities you are never riding alone lol. I've tried to reach out to mine but none of them will respond. I'm a small group kinda guy myself. I'm not worried about skill level. Give me a meet location and leave me if I can't keep up or vise versa. I'm use to Fl riding so its normally a casual pace.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
If you have multiple personalities you are never riding alone lol. I've tried to reach out to mine but none of them will respond. I'm a small group kinda guy myself. I'm not worried about skill level. Give me a meet location and leave me if I can't keep up or vise versa. I'm use to Fl riding so its normally a casual pace.
Lol, maybe we should leave you to ride with your other personalities, is hate to see a disagreement come up during a ride.

Good thread, just fossilized. How about group ride breifings and code of conduct?
I think you have valid points. I like the code of conduct idea.... You know set the expectations.

·
Registered
2018 MT 09
362 Posts
For a day ride, I can tolerate riding with maybe 5-6 guys as long as we are equally experienced and have the same riding mindset. Years ago I hosted a group ride for some forum members who were visiting from out of state, 11 riders - (strangers who had never ridden together) what a shit show, never again.

For multi-day, multi-state road trips, I am very selective and only ride with my brother and 1-2 very close riding buddy's, We collectively choose a destination and then I create the route, make the schedule and book all hotel accommodations.
Was that this forum?

·
Registered
853 Posts
It is a fitting conversation. I rarely encounter any other riders to ride with, I have two riders I ride with now and in the past only one. The few times I 've been in larger groups, parade or poker runs for charity has been very uncomfortable. Ride five miles stop for shots and fags, meet down town in a parade and then overheat the clutch trying to slow ride and listen to the thunder. When I was in a marque club I would lead a group down to a motorcycle museum, talk about a bunch that could complain, too slow, too fast, we went around that block twice, when the group was thirty riders and strung out. If you try to brief, everyone knows that stuff, if you skip it and just cover the route some one passes you on the left as your going too slow. So it is a good subject to talk about. Then there was the squid on one ride, cooked a corner, crashed his bike in front of a guy on a newer K100LT who drove straight off the corner into a soy bean field, nice flight, crashed with injury. I remember the stereo on the BMW was still working and the squid was gone.

Great subject!

Ride Sane.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
I have no riding mates (new town), so I ride alone unless we have bike riding visitors.
I tend to think a lot while riding. That's when I'm not screaming.
I also treat other traffic as competition.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If I'm not riding alone, I ride more often than not with one buddy. We have done a few tours together, enjoy each other's company and have similar thoughts on pace, distance between stops and whatnot. Biggest group I ride with is about 6 or 7, we ride several times a year to different destinations, usually a 6-8 hour trip.

I once (and only ONCE) rode on a charity ride. Never again! The pace was about 30-35mph and the first stop was about 30 miles down the road...at a bar. Next stop was on the road in the middle of nowhere special while we waited for a guy to be med-flighted out...he hit a dog that ran into the road and landed on his helmetless head. The dog had to be put down.

The next stop was to be lunch. All of the bikes hadn't even stopped and a half dozen guys took off to a convenience store up the road, returning with at least 3 cases of beer. My two buddies (with their wives) and I bailed at that point.

Saddest part of it was that the group was supposedly led by a group of moto cops!

21 - 40 of 45 Posts