Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a GROM group ride. One with a long swing ... ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: beck and 2Triples

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems to be the next step up in the Ruckus movement that's been popular the past several years. Personally I don't understand why someone wouldn't buy a full sized motorcycle on the used market for the price of what these cost ($3,200 I believe?), but to each their own.

Reactions: Obijack and DNFDOUG

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I've seen a few of them up on Deals Gap. Find some sticky tires and talk about being able to rail the corners! Imagine the corner speed you could carry with one of those!

Reactions: Brvt1000

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I've seen a few of them up on Deals Gap. Find some sticky tires and talk about being able to rail the corners! Imagine the corner speed you could carry with one of those!
For some reason I don't think it's taking any corners faster than about 60... :) I won't lie though, I really want one as a "play" bike. I don't think I could stand a Grom as my only motorcycle, but they look FUN.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
No doubt about it, I would blow me knee out again playing on one of those. A friend of mine was killed on a YSR50 Yamaha riding it like a madman. He drifted across the pavement, clipped a curb, went sailing and hit a telephone pole square in the middle of his helmet. We had a hard time getting over that one.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Whoa, thanks dougie downer. Way to kill the mood. That's terrible. I still love these things though. One of the most fun bikes I've ever ridden was a friends Honda 50 bored out to 88cc. That thing would power wheelie in the first two gears and was a blast. We'd race around the neighborhood with that and a little two stroke pocket bike. Full leathers and helmets dragging knees. The neighbors would all come out and watch and sometimes even cheer usually when we had to layer down.

Reactions: DreamFZ

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It was a total freak thing, but I wanted to throw it in there because that is the kind of thing that will really throw you for a loop because our confidence is high on slinging around little stuff. I blew my knee out in a motocross race without ever crashing. I was loosing my front wheel when it climbed out of a berm and just dabbed my foot, and pop goes the weasel.

tyler.jpg

My lost friend, Tyler on the right. I am on the left.

·
Registered
962 Posts
My only problem is those little wheels - they don't give you as much warning as a 17 incher. I had a Zuma 125 that was a blast, until I took a low speed fall and broke 6 ribs, collarbone and shoulderblade... Funny though - those little tires felt more secure at freeway speeds than my crf250l's do - but then it has knobbies.

·
Registered
768 Posts
For some reason I don't think it's taking any corners faster than about 60... :) I won't lie though, I really want one as a "play" bike. I don't think I could stand a Grom as my only motorcycle, but they look FUN.
These would be WAY fun for a Starbucks run !
As someone said, you could get a full sized used bike for the $.
But, how much more money to make that as entertaining?
=)

·
Registered
416 Posts
We have a KLX 110 that is setup for adults and it might the most fun on 2 wheels I've ever had. Cant wait to grab a Grom when they hit the used market.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'd like to take one for a spin. I followed one briefly last month here in town. Before I realized what it was I thought to myself, "This guy really needs to get this slow POS out of the way..."

:angry2:
Honda Other | eBay

1 - 20 of 26 Posts