Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed a pair of Grip Puppies on the bike. I was using Pro Grips before. Had them for a couple of months but was not totally satisfied.

So I left them on the bars and installed the Grip Puppies over them. I left the Pro Grips totally stock with the ends intact. I cut the puppies to fit inside of the Pro Grip end flairs.

My chief complaint with the Pro Grips was the slightly smaller diameter than the stock ones and how they felt in my hands. I always ride with thin gloves, actually a pair of baseball batting gloves. I would feel more vibration and bumps in the road with the Pro Grips. The smaller diameter also reduced the leverage of the throttle so it was just a little harder to turn which was annoying.

Well with the puppies all my complaints were resolved. The reduction of vibration and the shock on my hands over bumps has been reduced by around 75%.

I really like these Puppies.

Oh and here is another benefit. Their larger diameter has increased the leverage of the throttle so now it is easier to twist. Also because of the larger diameter you have to turn your hand a little further to get the same amount of throttle than before with the smaller grips. This has noticeable reduced the amount of twitchiness that so many have complained about

All things considered I would have to say it is a win, win install. :)

Auto part Vehicle Bicycle handlebar Longboard Red Bicycle handlebar Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Bicycle part

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Pro Grip has several different types. Order a set of 714... bigger than most and none of the mushy feeling of the grip puppy.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Pro Grip has several different types. Order a set of 714... bigger than most and none of the mushy feeling of the grip puppy.
It looks like those are about 7.5 mm to long. Do you cut them?

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Yep. They have 2 steps... I cut the first one. Hard to explain unless you see it. Ill post a pic of them on my bike tomorrow... bed time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have 714's on my bike as well. Larger diameter than stock and they reduce vibes a little, but don't eliminate it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
thanks Marthy, I figured it out and ordered the 714s.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Here you go. They come sort of double flange on the inside, very easy to trim. Outside comes cap off since they are dirt bike grip... Easy to cut too.

Get yourself some good rasor blades.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a similar kit installed over my heated oxford grips. They look just like grip puppys and are compatible with heated grips. Found them at a local Yamaha dealer.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did 200 miles with them today.

The larger diameter definitely made the throttle much smoother and less snatchy.

Got back and my hands did not feel as beat up as with the other grips.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I use pro grip 699... Very happy with them.. Used hair spray as the adhesive to bars but they stick well with nothing.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Where did you get your Grip Puppy and what size do I need for the stock grips?
I just went to their website and they have stopped doing online sales. Try a google search. That's how I found them. Small size is what you want.

The stock grips are just a tad larger diameter than the progrips I installed mine over.

I paid $9.95 for them. Watch out for rip off artists. I saw them on ebay as high as $30 a pair.

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts