Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from NJ! Picking up my Red FZ-09 on the 29th....really stoked about it. Traded in my Yamaha Bolt R-Spec and owned a Suzuki Boulevard C50 before that. I really liked the Bolt, but I felt like I wasn't having enough fun on my rides. I took a test ride last week on the FZ-09 and was sold on it immediately. I've gotta remember to keep my patience with this thing (I have a daughter that just turned 2 months old and want to be around to watch her grow)! Any advice on how to do that would be great, lol. Also, anything to look for on the bike or be wary of before I sign on the dotted line and ride off the lot? Thanks.

Bobby T.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting an 09. Yep, the 09 will be very different than the bikes you've had so take time adjusting and exploring. Before you pull the trigger while riding it be sure you are pointed some place you want to be. ;)

Have you taken the MSF courses? If you have done the first already take the 2nd. MSF isn't the last word in how to ride the 09 but it's a good foundation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and no, I have not taken a MSF....I've been riding for about 5 years now and learned on a 1600cc cruiser. The riding came natural to me. I've also had a lot of good tips from friends along the way. I have always been comfortable with the speed and have always been aware of my surroundings while on the road (which has saved me many times from getting squashed). However, I do realize I am a small fish in a big ocean when I'm out riding and anything can happen. My problem is I get bored quick when cruising at a mellow pace and gradually start riding more aggressively.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Right on welcome from a fellow njer. Where you picking up the bike?

Sent from my hot secretary, dictated but not read

·
Registered
137 Posts
Bobby T.
I bought my FZ09 3 weeks ago and I am driving really carefully. I am 58 and my last bike experience was a 400 Honda Hawk 35 years ago. I always ride using B mode and have yet to crack the throttle past 60%. I carefully scrutinize oncoming traffic, flashing the light horn if there is any chance of driver stupidity, and will slow down dramatically in intersections. This has already paid off; two days ago an idiot pulled out in front of me turning left but I was waiting for it and stopped in time. Last night I ordered a head and tail light strobe kit. Keep your daughter in mind when you ride and you will be less likely to act like a fool. Middle aged fools know the feeling of mortality but younger fools need more help.
I only have 200 miles on the odometer and plan to get used to the bike's idiosyncrasies before I make any decisions regarding ECU or suspension mods. I did notice that the Shell gas I recently bought made the low rpm operation deteriorate. I have been shopping around for a windscreen; I don't think the OEM version will do a good enough job at highway speeds. Have fun but be careful! It's great to have all that power available but you don't have to use it.

Mark

·
Registered
196 Posts
You'll be OK on the fz. Only thing I think you'll have to take your time on is modding it. Nothing really to watch out for just make sure you feel your getting a good deal. Where are you buying from? Stumpys?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Cool, still wroth taking the experienced rider's MSF course though. I started riding before MSF existed, by the time I took the experienced riders course I had a lot of dirt time and 30 or 40 thou street miles. Pro basketball coaches still drill the players on the basics, right?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome you joined a kick ass forum, i would suggest ecu flash i always rode in B mode till had ecu flashed by stoltec and now she stuck on A mode. You will love the bike as you get acquainted with her you will know what you like and don't like enjoy ride safe.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Howdy, Welcome, and Congratulations. You might consider seeing if you can get a better set of tires while you have new tires on your bike. I hated the Dunlop's that came on my FZ-09. Pirelli Angel GT's are a much better tire. If I lost my FZ-09 I buy another and I'd work better tires in the deal. Best of luck and don't forget who you have depending on you every time you ride. When I became a Dad, it changed the way I rode. Now, she's grown. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine came with bridgestone battlax hypersport 20 good for now.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
thanks everyone......I'm purchasing from Toms River Marine & Motorsports
Thats where I got mine 2 weeks ago.....I guess your getting the Red one they have there..:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello from NJ! Picking up my Red FZ-09 on the 29th....really stoked about it. Traded in my Yamaha Bolt R-Spec and owned a Suzuki Boulevard C50 before that. I really liked the Bolt, but I felt like I wasn't having enough fun on my rides. I took a test ride last week on the FZ-09 and was sold on it immediately. I've gotta remember to keep my patience with this thing (I have a daughter that just turned 2 months old and want to be around to watch her grow)! Any advice on how to do that would be great, lol. Also, anything to look for on the bike or be wary of before I sign on the dotted line and ride off the lot? Thanks.

Bobby T.
Welcome Bobby! I'm a northerner but love south Jersey. Family had a shore house for decades until Sandy came through. Anyway, I have kids as well and know your concerns, as many on the forum do. I don't want to preach but you should definitely take an MSF course. I guarantee you will learn something. I was riding for close to 30 years and took the class with a buddy for moral support. I was shocked to learn that I was doing many things wrong. Since then I went on to become an instructor. I teach all the MSF classes here in NJ and recommend the ARC (Advanced Rider Course). If you are interested and need some information about the various course offerings by the MSF, feel free to ask. Have fun!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome Bobby! I'm a northerner but love south Jersey. Family had a shore house for decades until Sandy came through. Anyway, I have kids as well and know your concerns, as many on the forum do. I don't want to preach but you should definitely take an MSF course. I guarantee you will learn something. I was riding for close to 30 years and took the class with a buddy for moral support. I was shocked to learn that I was doing many things wrong. Since then I went on to become an instructor. I teach all the MSF classes here in NJ and recommend the ARC (Advanced Rider Course). If you are interested and need some information about the various course offerings by the MSF, feel free to ask. Have fun!
Thanks for the advice, I am going to look into it for sure!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts