Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings from an expat Brit in hot and steamy Bangkok where I'm now the proud owner of a Liquid Graphite 09, one of the first 50 to be imported by Yamaha. We get the US spec bikes here (the Cali ones to be specific). I've only been able to put 300 km on the clock since picking her up a week ago, but that's been 300 km of big grins despite the 100 degree heat, gridlocked Bangkok traffic and a military coup last week.

The 09 is my first decent bike purchase here since I came back in 2001 after some time working back in the UK (before that I'd been in Thailand and Laos since 1989, which gives you guys some idea of my age ;) ). Last bike in the UK was the original Speed Triple … a bike I loved dearly and which I had for four years. I've always liked naked bikes but here in Thailand taxes price most decent bikes at stupid levels. Anyone for a Street Triple R for equivalent of US$ 23,250? The 09 is almost half the price here at US$ 13,500. I looked at a Kwak Z800 at US$ 11,500 but it just didn't click. Duke Hypermotard would be nice but it's US$ 2,000 more than the 09. So 09 it is and it's a blast.

Only mods to date have been ditching the hideous indicators for some generic LED blade ones, and ordering a tail tidy from SP Engineering (a chance to buy British - not saying whether that's a good thing or not!) and some Mad Hornet levers. Suspension is certainly not the 09's strong point but given the s#@t state of Bangkok roads a soft ride sure saves the arse from a good tanning, particularly given that at 6'2" and 185 lbs I don't have all that much natural padding :eek:

Anyways, here's my 09, and adios to all for now. Keep the rubber side down.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Rim
Vehicle Automotive lighting Headlamp Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Welcome. Good luck with the coup and stay safe.

Reactions: FZ09inBKK

·
Registered
420 Posts
Welcome. I would be interested in your impressions of the 09 compared to the Triumph. Also, since we are now strongly into summer in Texas, how hot is the 09 running there?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks EdVR. I've not had the 09 long enough to offer a proper comparison. My initial thoughts are that the riding position and general ergonomics of the 09 suit me better, now, than the Triumph. But that said, I loved that bike and still think it's a fantastic looker, even 20 years after it was released. I rode it from London to Munich and back one year (700 miles each way) and then, the following year, to down south of Rome (1,400 miles each way, the route I took). The original Speed Triple was 20 kg heavier than an 09 and it certainly felt heavier; it was also less flickable (although there was a briefly a race series for them in UK, for braver souls than me). It was also 5-speed, and I often found myself hunting for a 6th gear that wasn't there. I'm also 'old school' on clocks and dials - I like analogue although I guess I'll get used to digital. I'm not used yet to the digital RPM counter on the 09.

The 09 does heat up here, particularly when in heavy traffic. By heat up i mean running in mid-high 220s, with fan going, with outside air temp indicating 100 or so. If I'm at a stop light with a long wait ahead (many of them here have timers so you can see how much of your life you're going to waste breathing fumes 180, 179, 178, 177 you get the picture …) I shut off the engine. But so far no indication of any real overheating.

To close here's a pic of the original Speed Triple. Still a great looking machine. Seeing the picture makes me want to buy one again.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motorcycle Motor vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.