Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to do a little restrained riding with the purpose of finding out how far one tank of gas can go under subdued riding conditions.

I rode in third gear on the B mode almost the entire time averaging about 65 mph which is around 6,500 RPM. I got to half a tank at 100 miles. True, I was at 6,000 feet elevation along the Colorado/Utah border resulting in "thinner air", but for those wanting to extend the range of their gas tank, it is possible using wrist moderation.

:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm here at approx 4500 above sea level, avg 48.8 mpg in STD mode.

I was able to do a little restrained riding with the purpose of finding out how far one tank of gas can go under subdued riding conditions.

I rode in third gear on the B mode almost the entire time averaging about 65 mph which is around 6,500 RPM. I got to half a tank at 100 miles. True, I was at 6,000 feet elevation along the Colorado/Utah border resulting in "thinner air", but for those wanting to extend the range of their gas tank, it is possible using wrist moderation.

·
Registered
340 Posts

The thin air is effecting your brain brother.Shift it.So what was your MPG?

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you ride in accordance to the shifting cheat sheet in manual you maximize mpg... I say to hell with that, i'de rather fill up.

Also, some guys are punching a small hole in filler neck to dissipate air pocket around neck inside tank, gets more fuel in tank. I would be careful of metal shavings in fuel though. Cant be good for fuel injection, haha

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've noticed that there is the "perceived fuel economy" gauge on this bike. The indicated second half of the tank lasts about 30 miles.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I've noticed that there is the "perceived fuel economy" gauge on this bike. The indicated second half of the tank lasts about 30 miles.
Ha ha yeah that drives me nuts!

I usually hit 75-80 miles before it drops under half. Then 30 miles later I'm at a gas station filling up 3 gallons.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I live just north of Denver and all of my riding on the FZ-09 has been in the "thinner air". (5,000ft+ above sea level)

When I ride hard, I get about 53mpg, and when I don't I get about 58mpg. It's nice. :)

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got to about 175 miles before the final fuel countdown. I let the bike stay in Eco Mode during the entire ride. It is possible when conditions warrant it. The small town gas station was closed, so I am glad I budgeted. The next stop was a long ways away.

Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Tire Auto part

·
Registered
511 Posts
Restraint? Moderation? My FZ knows not these things. A mode all the time. Wheelies. Rip it to redline. Mostly 5 mile trips. 46 mpg. Still better than my Camry hybrid.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Just rode 220 miles... Avg mpg was 52.3; Avg mph was 65... Mph avg was for the whole trip... Gas stops, coffee breaks and a little bit of rain. Avg elevation about 8000 ft.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts