Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MotorcycleGear.com has a closeout deal on the First Gear Rush Mesh textile jacket for $99 delivered. I just received mine today and am very impressed with the quality for the price. Two things make this a particularly good deal:

1) You can get it in high-viz yellow/black (that's the one I bought) in addition to all black and silver/black.

2) It comes in TALL sizes too, yay! I'm 6'2" tall and take a 35" sleeve and regular-sized jackets are just too short in the sleeve (and they're a bit short in the body length as well). I bought the XL Tall and it fits very well, a bit loose around the waist but it has snaps to tighten up the waistband fit and now it's just about perfect.

The jacket also comes with a windproof liner, so you can wear it on cooler days and not freeze your butt off. In fact, with some layering underneath this could really be a great three-season jacket.

First Gear has a long history of making great stuff, and this jacket continues in that tradition. Obviously I haven't been able to check the ventilation in hot weather riding, but user reviews on Revzilla are very positive.

Highly recommended:

Jacket Clothing Sleeve Yellow Outerwear

FirstGear Rush Mesh Jacket - 2010 :: MotorcycleGear.com

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Great Deal..!!!

Enjoy your Great find. At $99 that's a steal:cool:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
MotorcycleGear.com has a closeout deal on the First Gear Rush Mesh textile jacket for $99 delivered. I just received mine today and am very impressed with the quality for the price.

First Gear has a long history of making great stuff, and this jacket continues in that tradition. Obviously I haven't been able to check the ventilation in hot weather riding, but user reviews on Revzilla are very positive.

Highly recommended:
Thanks for the tip about this deal. For many years I've worn boots and a good helmet for riding, but I've always chosen jackets for warmth (crash protection be damned). I've seen even leather this cheap and textile significantly cheaper, but they were always brands I didn't have a lot of confidence in, but I know First Gear has a very good reputation and this sounded like too good a deal to pass up.

It arrived today in time for me to take a short ride and since it's my first motorcycle specific jacket with armor, I have no others to compare with it, but my usual size (Med) fit well and it looks good (in silver and black it goes well with liquid graphite). I'll have to wait a while before I can check how good the air flow is without the liner installed and see if I can tolerate wearing it in summer. I kind of doubt I'll wear it in triple digit temperatures

I'm sure Steve approves.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
Thanks for the tip about this deal. For many years I've worn boots and a good helmet for riding, but I've always chosen jackets for warmth (crash protection be damned). I've seen even leather this cheap and textile significantly cheaper, but they were always brands I didn't have a lot of confidence in, but I know First Gear has a very good reputation and this sounded like too good a deal to pass up.

It arrived today in time for me to take a short ride and since it's my first motorcycle specific jacket with armor, I have no others to compare with it, but my usual size (Med) fit well and it looks good (in silver and black it goes well with liquid graphite). I'll have to wait a while before I can check how good the air flow is without the liner installed and see if I can tolerate wearing it in summer. I kind of doubt I'll wear it in triple digit temperatures

I'm sure Steve approves.
Two Thumbs Up.......!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Now Motorcyclegear.com is offering an "almost free" deal on the Kenya jacket. Pay full price and get a $220 gift card back, making it ~$60. I had already bought mine at the previous price of $149 and felt it was worth it (obviously, I bought it). This was replacing a leather FirstGear Scout from 35 years ago. That jacket was comfortable in the upper 90's as long as I was moving. It had excellent air flow and this textile jacket looks to have all that and more. I have one of their mesh jackets when it's too hot.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This forum costs me money regularly lol. I have one coming now too. Thanks Yoyodyne!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Belstaff mesh jacket, but I don't have much faith in its protective properties. Have you any proof the First Gear jacket would hold together in a slide? I have a feeling that the only mesh gear that really is protective is Motoport. Expensive, but so are skin grafts.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
MotorcycleGear.com has a closeout deal on the First Gear Rush Mesh textile jacket for $99 delivered
I bought this jacket a few months back, and quickly returned it. I hated the fact that the sleeve/elbow armor was in "pockets" but yet not under the interior mesh liner. I'm not talking about the removable windbreaker liner, but the permanent mesh liner. My fingers would snag that armor every time I put the jacket on. Bulky and uncomfortable compared to my summer mesh Fieldsheer jacket. Sorry, but wanted other folks to know...read the reviews. I really wanted to like this jacket because it's one of the best looking Hi-vis jackets, but hated the way it was made. Someone else in the review cautioned about the sleeve armor situation, but I ignore it and paid for return shipping.

I have a feeling that the only mesh gear that really is protective is Motoport. Expensive, but so are skin grafts.
Actual crash/accidents that occur within normal speed limits indicate that mesh jackets perform. They are NOT track jackets.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I don't have the FirstGear Jacket, but I do have a set of the FirstGear Kili Lo Boots, and they seem to be good quality and are comfortable.

If you are north of the border and need a mesh jacket, here is a good price for a mesh jacket. Which works out close to $99 USD with not exchange fees, brokerage fees or shipping costs.

https://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/joe-rocket-atomic-11-0-textile-jacket.html

I have bought a few items of the Canada's Motorcycle site at great prices, just keep your eye out for sales and clearance items.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I'll have to wait a while before I can check how good the air flow is without the liner installed and see if I can tolerate wearing it in summer. I kind of doubt I'll wear it in triple digit temperatures.
It's been a year and a half since I got this jacket and mention of just how well it works in hot weather is long overdue, but I did recently use it in the heat so I thought this was an appropriate time to bump this thread. I used it on a recent trip up the Coronado Trail and into New Mexico. We left Tucson early enough in the morning to avoid the heat and got up into the mountains before it got too bad (the high country in eastern AZ is always cooler and was only in the upper 80's there). However, the return trip from NM was a different story. In the last two or three hours, I did start to wish the jacket was not on, but even then, it wasn't uncomfortable enough to stop and remove it. When I arrived home it was 2 PM and 104 degrees. It could have been worse, the temperature peaked two or three hours later at 109.

That was on the highway, but for traffic in town, I don't wear it when it's that hot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts