Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Member Cdolan (or something like that?) has one. He said installation was easy... Don't know what other impressions he has of it. Looked nice in pics though

·
Registered
877 Posts
Member Cdolan (or something like that?) has one. He said installation was easy...

Don't know what other impressions he has of it.

Looked nice in pics though
Too early to say much.

The pipe was put on bike # 2 before I knew the fork cap was cross threaded from the factory.

Started the bike on the stands and noticed it has a big flat spot when you try to rev from idle or fast idle.

Hard to tell much without putting a load on it.

The head pipes being shorter and having a step increase may have taken some low end out of it.

The head pipes are straighter than the zig zag of the OEM pipes.

Can't really say much until bike is on the road and has a power commander.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Too early to say much.

The pipe was put on bike # 2 before I knew the fork cap was cross threaded from the factory.

Started the bike on the stands and noticed it has a big flat spot when you try to rev from idle or fast idle.

Hard to tell much without putting a load on it.

The head pipes being shorter and having a step increase may have taken some low end out of it.

The head pipes are straighter than the zig zag of the OEM pipes.

Can't really say much until bike is on the road and has a power commander.
You don't have any sort of tuner on it yet do you? Does it have the decibel killer installed?

If you don't mind a couple questions, what tubing diameters did they use before & after the step? And what the heck are the springs up by the flanges for? I don't see any need for them, so I'm assuming the design must be somewhat different from stock?

·
Registered
877 Posts
You don't have any sort of tuner on it yet do you? No.....Would get power commander when available.

Does it have the decibel killer installed? Yes

If you don't mind a couple questions, what tubing diameters did they use before & after the step ?

Will try to remember to measure, tomorrow.

And what the heck are the springs up by the flanges for?

I don't see any need for them, Had me wondering , too. I put on, anyway.

so I'm assuming the design must be somewhat different from stock?

Reactions: Tunnelvision748

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what would the need be for the retention springs on the headers that close to the bolts? What would the springs be doing that the nuts and bolts aren't?

Not just ignorant but not a very observant reader either.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Maybe I'm just ignorant, but what would the need be for the retention springs on the headers that close to the bolts? What would the springs be doing that the nuts and bolts aren't?
When I installed a full exhaust on my R6 it had the same mounting system. The flanges aren't clamping the pipes against the head. The flanges only act as mounts for the springs to pull on. It's only that spring tension holding each pipe against the head/exhaust gasket.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just ordered Graves full system ! any one have one yet ?
I have the first one... with dyno jet.

I removed the DB killer insert this past weekend to see what it was like. The sound is cleaner, deeper and much louder. There is a slight bump in power as well.

working on a comparison video, I will post once I get it on youtube.

p.s. Watch out for sharp edges around the can, and tape up your swing arm, right pedal and rear MC before installing. Fitment is tight and you can easily scratch the swing arm or the can.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I thought that this exhaust did not need a tune. Is there a full exhaust that does not?

·
Registered
877 Posts
So Dolan, I think your the second one I know of besides me with one of these.

How do you like it?

Ok, I guess, but can't say much till I get the bike off the stands / resolve the factory fork cap cross thread issue.

Have you tried it without the DB insert?
No..... Not much point till I get bike on the road and have a Power Commander.

·
Registered
877 Posts
You don't have any sort of tuner on it yet do you?

Does it have the decibel killer installed?

If you don't mind a couple questions, what tubing diameters did they use before & after the step?
Stock headers are 35mm OD

Graves are 35 mm before the step, and increases to 41 mm after.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Here is a DB killer insert comparison for the Graves exhaust with PCV.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
In the first part, during the deceleration side of a blip, there is a little sound, is that cam chain slap?

Kind of hard for me to tell from that what it would sound like being ridden hard.
I noticed that too, Not sure if its cam slap or the insert. Because I don't hear it in the second part, my guess its the insert. From what I'm told, the insert has a special profile that gives it a distinct tone.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've never heard it while riding... gonna have to keep my ear on that one.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts