Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TLDR; A+ for design, D for execution. 6/10 would not recommend.

Full disclaimer: I bought these off of a forum member who claimed to buy these direct from Graves and even forwarded the original receipt from Graves. I believe these are 100% authentic however I feel the need to state that I didn't buy these direct myself.

The first thing I noticed after pulling them out of the box was the color. They weren't exactly clear. They have a distinct yellowed/amber tint to them, similar to cured epoxy. Disappointing, yet I can live with that.

Installation (once I figured out I needed to remove the optional rubber boot) was simple and everything bolted right up. No issues there.

As for the brightness, well I'm seriously disappointed. For $129, they could use brighter and better quality LEDs. I mean these things are seriously weak. Also there are several LEDs that are out on each signal. Not what I would call top notch quality for 129 bucks..

The signals are solid plastic (or resin or whatever) and the LED circuit board and LEDs are placed in the mold before it sets. This makes it impossible to open them for adjustment or repair of any burnt out LEDs. Which is fine if there was a little more care taken during the construction of these things.

Now for the pictures....

I took a photo of each signal from directly above and also from the side to show you how misaligned the LED circuit boards are inside the resin. I drew a green line where I would imagine the circuit board should be aligned, and a red line showing how it actually sits. (after writing this post, I realize the LED circuit boards could be angled outward (looking down from the top view) on purpose, but am not sure.)

Overall, I am not satisfied with the quality/construction of these signals. I have no problem paying $129 for a set of signals, but I would expect them to be of much higher quality and much closer to the stock signals brightness. I will continue looking for the ideal set of signals.

LEFT SIGNAL SIDE VIEW

LEFT SIGNAL TOP VIEW

RIGHT SIGNAL SIDE VIEW

RIGHT SIGNAL TOP VIEW

·
Registered
610 Posts
Nice write up. Really makes you wonder about quality control of the product if it even has any.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Moving to the Vendor review section..........

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Wow, I paid $50 for my R&Gs. For that price, you could've basically gotten Watsens, that are milled from aluminum, airbrushed, and pure artwork. I mean, holy cow. I'd expect to pay $40 on eBay for a plastic signal.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have the graves for front turn signals on my bike. I agree they are terrible as far as light output goes. Mine are always flickering as well. I am fairly certainly they are perfectly fine at night, but in the day time no one can see them (no big deal that's why they are the front turn signals). They are legal and look good on the bike so I'm happy enough with them.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
These bulbs where designed for an R6 side fairing, they just happen to fit the FZ-09 and other Yamaha's. That's why the alignment is not perfect for the FZ-09. Regardless they work really great at night when you need them the most.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Watsen opened their ordering window, for tomorrow only. So, write it down, and spend the same, for a solid aluminum flush mount, that will blind you.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These bulbs where designed for an R6 side fairing, they just happen to fit the FZ-09 and other Yamaha's. That's why the alignment is not perfect for the FZ-09. Regardless they work really great at night when you need them the most.

I understand what you're saying but I beg to differ that this is the reason they are misaligned. If this were the case, they would at least be symmetrical. But no, the one side is angled up and out, the other down and out. And not even at the same angle..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Regardless they work really great at night when you need them the most.
There's ZERO excuse for a modern set of vehicle LEDs to not be clearly visible in full sun. If my 20 dollar set of Fleabay blinkers can pull it off, these Graves units are without excuse...especially for the price.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Price hike for a name brand, product not worthy of the name.... Seems like Graves usually stands behind good products from what I have seen, thats a shame.

I'm pretty new to all this sport bike bolt on stuff - as my FJR is a niche group that doesn't get catered too by much of these name brands, that said - I really have been taking my time with the upgrades on my new toy, to make sure I don't have buyers remorse....

I was liking the look of the new Traf-X LED's and think that will be the way to go for me. Could do it on the cheap, but that never been my style...

Appreciate your review..... thanks for taking the time.

Signed
Capt Overkill.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts