Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

Graves LEDs not working as running lights?

7K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  FZ_ATX 
#1 ·
Hello, I just installed a set of graves LEDs on the front of my FZ and they are only working as turn signals. The rear are still stock. I bought these because they worked as running lights for other people. Any idea what it could be?

#8 ·
The front signals have to three wire...and the rear signals are two wire.

#9 ·
There is going to be three wires on the plug that is part of the original Yamaha wiring harness, but if there is only two wires on the Graves unit, that means that it doesn't function as a running light.

Reactions: DNFDOUG
#15 ·
Mine worked as both running light and turn signals. Worked great...until I washed my bike for the first time. After that the running lights both were out. Turn signals still work. Checked the power at the connector and all works great. Problem is not in my bike. Haven't had time to contact Graves to ask about this. Bummed out because I got these for easy of installation and the running light turn signal combo :(

#19 ·
Mine do have 3 wires. Tried them on both sides today and still no running lights. It's not the bike because I tried the originals and they work fine. I emailed graves on Friday but haven't heard back yet. Definitely not happy with them only working as signals.

#23 ·
Here is the reply I just got from Graves

On some of the bikes they have such little resistance from the battery
voltage the running lights won't work without a resistor. Our signals do
have running lights built in but years ago we stopped advertising them as
running lights because all the bikes have different resistance built into
them. CustomLED.com has resistors and options to control voltage and
functions if you're interested.

#26 ·
I have these lights, no led flashers resistor.. they work fine but they do flash a bit quick. However, as Graves states, the running light feature is not advertised because it may not work all the time due to electrical differences in different bikes. In my FZ-09, i was told they will not work as running lights, but I found out they do work as running lights.

#28 ·
I have Graves installed as front blinkers and they do not work as running lights on my bike. This happens to be fine with me. I would try adding resistors as some folks have suggested. I have a CustomLed relay and this will only help with the speed of the flash, not with the functionality. I haven't seen this mentioned on the forum yet but if your thinking of using Graves as front and rear blinkers. I tried this and I could not get them to flash on my bike. They just stayed on continuously....adding a relay didn't help the matter. I went with a integrated taillight in the end and happy I did!

They do install well and look great for anyone interested in getting rid of the orange drumsticks.

Vehicle Auto part Tire Automotive exterior Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.