Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Met up with Chuck Graves today for some riding. He showed up in this amazing tricked out FZ-09 he's been working. My jaw dropped as I looked over all the details. The bike has some 1-off parts and pre-production components that will be available for purchase some day soon.

"Best FZ-09"? Well I say that because after he let me ride it I realized this was not only the best FZ-09 i've ever ridden (Its the second FZ-09 I've ridden) but it was the best motorcycle i've ever ridden. Chuck had his race team suspension/chassis guys dial in the chassis and suspension using the same techniques they use on the their AMA competition bikes. The suspension feel and turning ability made me re-think how I was riding. Leaning it over was butter smooth even on bumpy corners. Having ridden a BMW S1000RR earlier this year at the race track for 2-days I was blown away at how much better this FZ-09 was able to turn. I don't think there is any bike out there you can buy off the showroom floor that has been setup up like this. Enough about the suspension and turning, its simply the best you can get. The Bike will be showing in an upcoming magazine issue (can't remember the name).

On to the pics!

Here is a side pic, the reason for the propane tanks in the background is that Chuck was riding this bike without a kickstand in an effort for weight reduction. So the only way it would say up is by leaning it against something.

Check out the headlight and windscreen! The headlight has been lowered to flow with the lines of the bike much better. The windscreen is a carbon prototype. There are some minor clearance issues at the moment that were unnoticeable while riding but they should be sorted out in later revisions.

Rearsets and sprocket guard,

Marchesini's, lower chain guard and Oversized Dunlop GP-A's

Dash relocation

Front brake line routing

Battery relocation, well new battery all together. The new battery is temporarily located in the rear tray, its small enough.

Other components include Ohlins rear shock Ohlins fork cartridges, rizoma fluid reservoirs and tail light, galespeed levers and brake master cylinder, rotors, steel brake lines and custom rear sprocket.

The gas tank was also gutted and a new filler cap and foam was installed.

Turn signals, fender eliminator and exhaust are the same ones you can buy from Graves today.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Why did you photo shop the area where the battery box is to give the illusion you can see though that area? the holes on the blue rhino cage dont line up .....but nice try

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why did you photo shop the area where the battery box is to give the illusion you can see though that area? the holes on the blue rhino cage dont line up .....but nice try
look again, look closer at all the pics. No photoshop. Also, read what I wrote.. the battery has been replaced with a smaller unit and relocated as well.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Did they add a link on the chain or used different sprocket? Extended wheel base...

Nice rearset too. Can it be switch to GP style?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
chain was extended, no swing arm extension. Sprocket is same size as oem.

GP style rearset is in development.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know why, but being able to see through the bottom of the seat makes this bike look so much better in my eyes. I'd love to do that.
I agree, it cleans up the area very nicely and showcases the shock. It can totally be done, I was able to see under the seat. Its a black panel that replaces that lower tray. All the wiring was re-routed to a very small battery unit in the rear tray. Not sure what battery it was, but it looked like a battery pack you find in some larger RC vehicle.

Still scratching my head over Bulldogs photoshop claim.

·
Banned
3,470 Posts
I agree, it cleans up the area very nicely and showcases the shock. It can totally be done, I was able to see under the seat. Its a black panel that replaces that lower tray. All the wiring was re-routed to a very small battery unit in the rear tray. Not sure what battery it was, but it looked like a battery pack you find in some larger RC vehicle.

What did you photoshop ????? :indecisiveness:

·
Registered
40 Posts

I was talking about the first pic next to the blue rhino propane cage if you look at it the holes on cage dont line up though the hole under seat to the holes under the rest of the bike.... not a big deal just first thing i noticed not a big deal.....dose look good tho

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
How is the wind screen? Not sure it does it for me but looks interesting.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was talking about the first pic next to the blue rhino propane cage if you look at it the holes on cage dont line up though the hole under seat to the holes under the rest of the bike.... not a big deal just first thing i noticed not a big deal.....dose look good tho
Uh Yea they do. The holes are where they should be. Your mind is playing tricks on you bud

Reactions: DreamFZ

·
Registered
583 Posts
FWIW, I sincerely hope that the after-market R&D product designers remember that the heart of the FZ is that the motorcycle is priced to be available to many riders and many potential riders. The whole motorcycle industry is being affected by this model... the whole industry...! Let's keep the ball rolling and develope some improvements that keep this trend alive... everyone benefits... the existing FZ base of riders, the new riders and the industry. OTOH, if the new stuff is really expensive, the trend is busted and only the wealthy can participate. Just sayin'

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
One of the pluses of the 09 looking like it will be a successful multi year model is that a wide range of products will be developed, different price points, some practical, some wonderfully wretched excess. A Graves aluminum subframe please.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Winters around the corner. Might have to get creative for the first time in my life and try the battery moving thingamajig

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gone from flaccid to fully hard looking at this thing, some nice work going on there, wonder when Yoshi cams, hi CR pistons and the like will make their way inside this thing, some dumb thing on UTUBE in German?, 140 hp MT09, and it seems to run like a pile of shite, W.T.F. did they do to that things to make such a claim, is it BS.

Reactions: Serrison

·
Registered
176 Posts
FWIW, I sincerely hope that the after-market R&D product designers remember that the heart of the FZ is that the motorcycle is priced to be available to many riders and many potential riders. The whole motorcycle industry is being affected by this model... the whole industry...! Let's keep the ball rolling and develope some improvements that keep this trend alive... everyone benefits... the existing FZ base of riders, the new riders and the industry. OTOH, if the new stuff is really expensive, the trend is busted and only the wealthy can participate. Just sayin'
X2 , if the mods cost almost as much as the bike... defeats the purpose of mods imho.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I like the lowered headlight alot... Anytime i hear good things about the lines of the bike, i wanna cry about my akra carbon headers.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts