1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BUYER BEWARE. After purchasing a graves fender eliminator I've come to find out
the cutouts for the turn signals to fit through were extremely tight. I
managed to get one through after significantly marring up the rubber. The
plastic retainer clips weren't even close to fitting through the other side of the
blinker. After taking a digital caliper to the graves cut out and the Yamaha
cut out the graves was .090 thousandths smaller length wise and .150 thousandths
small on the large diameter!!! Pathetic!!! I attempted to contact graves
technical and customer service email accounts Thursday night only to be ignored
to this day still. Luckily I have access to a CNC milling machine and took
matter into my own hands.

http://www.fz09.org/forum/13-fz-09-gear-accessories/6820-graves-fender-eliminator-buyer-beware.html

I am not the only one having issues with the tolerances.
I also have one of the "improved" versions the graves rep speaks about with the removable blinker sections.
I'm in the market for a full exhaust and graves will not be receiving my business after this experience.
$90 for a hunk of crap.

image1.JPG
image2.JPG

Test piece to show how much I needed to mill in order to fit the plastic retaining clips in SNUG.

image3.JPG
image4.JPG
image6.JPG

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just installed the Yamaha tag eliminator kit. Everything fits nicely and it allows for the side and rear reflectors. It's got a neat LED for the plate light. Only problem it's not angled enough towards the rear of the bike. I used the small shims that came off the original unit to tilt it back slightly. Fortunately the side panel rear plastic fastener just made it home. IMG_4745.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I posted that thread in my orginal post duckboy.

Chaz I wasnt aware yamaha made a fender eliminator and would have went with theirs over all the others. Japs make good stuff! Graves is bringing shame to "made in america" with this quality control.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looking at the tool marks they appear to be press punched. Time for a new die, graves.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Ben58...Not sure if Yamaha makes it but it's was in their accessory line so I thought I'd give it a try. As I said everything is tidy and the directions are very good...except for that problem I noted before. I also ordered a radiator screen from the Yamaha accessory catalog..I believe it's made by GYTR for them. Look on the Yamaha site, click on accessories, then click on street motorcycle and then enter FZ09 and you'll see a bunch of stuff. My dealer gives a 10% discount if you purchased your bike from them. Motorsports International in Auburn MA. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I warned my brother about the Graves, so he bought the Yoshimura eliminator and it fit like a champ. I have an R&G because it was the only one in the market, quality piece but a bit bulky.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I ended up buying the Yoshi kit (works great even with our larger Canadian plates) because I had heard of all these issues people were having. I can't imagine myself ordering anything from them, if they have issues with something this simple do I really want to risk buying something larger like an exhaust.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yea I was trying to save a couple bucks with the graves kit but should have def went with the yoshi. Still haven't heard back from customer service after emailing two accounts on Thursday.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I think the evidence is pretty clear... It's a bad design. I've yet to read of ANYONE having an issue with the Yoshimura, or R&G...

Funny, we are all smart enough to install those.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Never realized theres so many fans of the oem Lollipop turn signals. If you need any spares I have a complete set collecting dust, free+shipping.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I can't imagine myself ordering anything from them, if they have issues with something this simple do I really want to risk buying something larger like an exhaust.
Their exhausts are run on the fastest Yamaha's of the AMA for many years, even the Australian Superbike R1's are running them. Aside from length and pipe diameter, their FZ-09 exhaust is built the same way with same materials. The same can't be said about other FZ-09 exhaust options.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts