Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK, I thought the ill-fitment issue w/ the Graves fender eliminator wouldn't be that big of an issue. So wrong.
Problem: The hole cutouts on the Graves kit is way too small for the stock signals. I was barely able to squeeze the stock signal rubber ends through the cutouts.
Doing so I gouged the rubber. Oops. So the signals were on so tight I thought they'd be OK without press fitting the plastic OEM retainers. Wrong. These are supposed to snap inside the rubber stalk ends for secure placement, but there is no way they will fit on the Graves piece. (see pictures)
Went for a ride, stopped, threw a boot over and barely touched the left signal and ... it popped off. The turn signals need to be secured, period, or they will come loose.
In the meantime ... Graves has not returned my email. Screw Graves. I'm returning their crappy fitting part through Amazon and will be getting another brand, maybe Yoshimura.
Buyer beware. I'm getting too old to put up with shoddy products from so-called "reputable" companies. Really tired of it. OK, rant over, I'm better.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
i had a similar issue on mine when i tried to remove. Ended up cutting the wires as i wasn't going to use them again (bought an integrated turn signal taillight).

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Happy with my Yosh...plus it's got a license plate light.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a similar issue on mine when i tried to remove. Ended up cutting the wires as i wasn't going to use them again (bought an integrated turn signal taillight).
I was searching for LED tail lights and saw your setup. Nice. I think I might go the same route. Haven't decided if I'll keep the Graves eliminator. Got to admit I like the way it looks, and w/ the integrated LED signals on the BlasterX tail light, I won't need the OEM signals. Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can we all email Graves and get the right plastic piece? I want show bike quality not this BS.
It's not the plastic piece (OEM) that is the problem. The problem is the cutout hole for the stock turn signals (see pic) on the Graves unit is a too small for the OEM turn signal rubber end to fit through. I think I'm just going to enlarge the hole with a file to make it work. BTW, Graves did not return my email. I know of at least three members who have this problem. I will not be considering any Graves products after this.

Attachments

Reactions: DECON BLUE

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I've removed and installed this piece with no issues.. fitment is really tight, but it should be if you don't want your signals falling off. I used the OEM signals with the OEM retaining plate. Eventually I switched them out to LED's while still using the OEM rubber boot and retaining clip.

So many of these have been sold and your the first who I've seen complain.

If your having trouble getting them installed, send me the bracket and lights and I'll get it done for you..

Reactions: beck

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Paso, If your in SoCal lets meet up and I'll help you get it done.. I'm helping another friend install a Graves fender eliminator on his FZ-07 this Saturday.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks Tunnel, for the offer to help, really appreciate it. But ... it's a bad part. A tight/snug fit would be great. This is beyond a "snug" fit, however. The cutout, as you can hopefully see, is just too small. As I said, I did manage to force them through, but with vibration and me slightly tapping it, the OEM signals simply won't stay on the Graves part without the OEM retainer, which simply won't fit. And there are others on this site who have had the same problem.
I just measured: the Graves cutout is 1/16" smaller than the inner part of the OEM rubber stalk that needs to fit through the cutout. Won't work without seriously compromising the rubber. And then the plastic OEM retainer simply won't fit, no matter how hard you try.

Attachments

Reactions: Shawn00sa

·
Registered
659 Posts
@Paso: Arm chair quarterbacking here but, are you sure that your fender eliminator is a Graves product? Tunnelvision's photo looks considerably different than yours (welded indicator support brackets versus bolted). I went further to look at the Graves website; also shows a one piece welded construction. Maybe they changed their design?

Just something to look at.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Maybe it now comes from China.

A good many people are having issues with the Graves, so it doesn't look like its very isolated.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Return it and get a yoshi or R&G. I've had the yoshi fe on my old ninja and it was almost rizoma quality very happy. My FZ came with the R&G pre installed and is very well build...plus both those options have license lights!

·
Registered
657 Posts
If anyone is fed up with their graves, I'm happy to buy one cheap!

·
Registered
247 Posts
+1 for Yoshi.... super simple install and works great with tag light!

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
yeah i'm not sure the product is defective - to another posters point - if the fitment was loose we'd be complaining about our turn signals falling out and that area vibrates quite a bit.

I snipped my lights because i knew i wasn't going to use them again and i was impatient. Other than that - install was a breeze and i think it looks good. Whether it was worth the price or not - maybe not but at the time i purchased - there weren't that many options available.

·
Registered
383 Posts
The product I have IS defective.

The plastic retaining clips are 2mm larger than the cutout for the turn signals. Currently my turn signals are glued into place until I get some more ashtetically pleasing bolt in turn signals

·
Registered
962 Posts
While it should be right when you get it, too small of holes is a lot better than too large. If they don't respond then I would either send it back or grind it out - but I wouldn't glue them on or mount them without the backing plates. I've seen a couple in person and the owners mentioned them being a tight fit - but they both got them on using soapy water on the rubber stalks.

FWIW: It's a good looking and solid mount, and I could make it fit faster with my air grinder than what it took to type this reply.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Maybe the mounting hole were sized for the MT-09 turn signals and they don't realize the FZ-09 used different sized signal mounts???

From what I see Graves Motorsports makes some good products, and a little customer feed back should help make things better.

Don't be afraid to let them know it's a problem and hopefully they will fix it.

Contacting Graves Motorsports and Team Graves Yamaha Information - Graves Motorsports

Contact
NOTE: Our sales operation hours are Monday - Friday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Timezone. Our Toll Free Sales Line is 800-867-6480. Please note that orders ship Tuesday - Friday only.

Emails:

General Questions: [email protected]

Sales Information: [email protected]

Technical Support: [email protected]

Graves Motorsports
7629 Densmore ave
Van Nuys, Ca 91406

1 - 20 of 54 Posts