Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody that has done this mod, could you tell me what you did with the electrical connection on the AIS?

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
I put the end of the connector in a small food baggie and then sealed it as tight as I could. I then wrapped electrical tape around the opening of the baggie as best I could, trying to keep all the moisture/water out of it.

Reactions: maryleejayne

·
Registered
418 Posts
Its very easy to do. You have to take the tank and air box off. Just a couple 10mm bolts and the tank comes off. I think 10 phillips screws and the top of the air box comes off. Then 3 5mm allen bolts that are on the clamps to the throttle bodies and the bottom of the air box comes off. There are 2 hoses on the bottom of the air box. The bigger of the 2 will be removed and plugged with the cap that's provided with the graves plates. The other one will be reattached. There is just the one connector for the AIS electronics. Unplug it and pull the hoses off the plates and pull the electrical part from the stud. There are 4 5mm bolts that hold the smog plates, remove those. There are reeds and a gasket under the plates. Take the small screws off the plates and remove the reeds. Also take out the metal thing that's probably still sitting inside the valve cover. Put the rubber gasket back down the same way it came off. It DOES matter what way it sits! Put the graves plates back on with the orientation of the plates the way the directions show. Put red locktite on the bolts and snug them down.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Has anyone installed these plates compared to just blocking the AIS hose near the airbox? I currently have it blocked at the AIS hose and it seems to be doing a pretty good job - there is marginal popping around the 4K decel mark but thats it.

Ive got the Graves plates coming soon but interested to hear if it actually makes a difference or is it just 'neater'.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I tried both, but I really like the plates. not for the decreased popping, but for decreased the clutter In a already crowded area.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Getting ready to install the Graves AIS plates this week, but have a question. How does this affect the O2 sensor's readings? Does it now think the bike is really rich and start pulling fuel out of it? I guess my own interpretation of it is that the AIS is mostly used on full deceleration and the injectors are off anyway, so the O2 sensor has no affect during this time.

Curious on other's opinions.

Chris...

·
Registered
96 Posts
I tried both, but I really like the plates. not for the decreased popping, but for decreased the clutter In a already crowded area.

I just received mine from Motomummy. I got all the way to removing the AIS to realise they sent me the wrong friggen plates - they dont fit!

Now I have to wait at least another 2-3 weeks to get the proper parts :(

·
Registered
96 Posts
Arghh are you serious? That sucks major balls.
Yeah. Was a good waste of time - I did have to get the tank off anyway to get to the ECU but taking the airbox and AIS off is a bore only to have to do it again when the part comes in!

I did manage to get other items shipped with the replacement plates free so I have some techspec grips coming with free postage which was a nice save.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yes, and this is exactly the reason you MUST have a fuel controller, like a PCV, installed. Otherwise, your bike will run lean, which of course is BAD for the engine!

Getting ready to install the Graves AIS plates this week, but have a question. How does this affect the O2 sensor's readings? Does it now think the bike is really rich and start pulling fuel out of it? I guess my own interpretation of it is that the AIS is mostly used on full deceleration and the injectors are off anyway, so the O2 sensor has no affect during this time.

Curious on other's opinions.

Chris...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a pipe but can't stand the burping and farting of the pipe. I'm not sure if this is the fix but if so it's not that hard of a fix at all.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a pipe but can't stand the burping and farting of the pipe. I'm not sure if this is the fix but if so it's not that hard of a fix at all.
Yes, that is the fix. Personally I don't think it sounds that bad. It's mostly a burble while decelerating under 4k rpm's with an occasional pop. I think it sounds cool.

FYI folks, Driven is about to release their block off plates as well.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Yes, and this is exactly the reason you MUST have a fuel controller, like a PCV, installed. Otherwise, your bike will run lean, which of course is BAD for the engine!
The AIS has no affect on fuel control, and removing it will not change the fuel mixture at all..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts