Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if my front brakes have gotten grabbier or if I just notice it more because my throttle is now smooth - but even the slightest touch of the brake makes it initially grab hard (and dive the front end). Even just walking it into the garage the initial touch of the brakes causes a harsh reaction. Steel braided brake lines are on my wish list for the bit of mush I get as I'm braking hard - but I've got to fix this initial bite problem. I've upgraded to HH pads on other bikes and had them act like this - but I'm still on the stock pads. I wasn't looking at swapping brake pads performance - but I'm tempted to get some EBC GG's to see if they cure the grab...

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have stock brakes and forks. My front brakes don't have an initial grab at all. I'm smoother operating my bike than I was when it was new. I've got over 11,000 miles on my bike. I'm sure there are a lot more qualified members to address this problem than I. :color: :cool: :color:

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Suspension. The 15mm master build up pressure quickly but should not be the main issue. Im using a 16mm master... FZ8. Maybe this is something you could try? Stock mirror fit too...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The suspension dampening is definately too soft, as are the springs - but it's definitely the brakes. Walking the bike the front brake lever acts like a spring loaded trigger. The slightest touch makes it grab so hard for an instant that you might stumble walking with it. If you keep the same slight pressure then in an instant it releases and you can still walk it and feel the brakes dragging. I don't know if it's the master cylinder plunger having stiction at first, the caliper pucks, or tbe pads - but it's more pronounced after some hard braking. I can' think of anything else it might be - so I think my first course should be to clean and deglaze the discs and pads.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Have you ridden super sports op?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have I ridden super sports - yes. I've owned a GSXR1100.

I rode it today to do errands and put it on a front end stand while it was acting up. I spun the wheel and barely touched the brake and it grabbed it hard. I put a piece of tape on the rim to see if it was doing it at the same place (just trying to find a pattern). I was getting the wheel spinning by hand and it did it when I hit the rubber wheel with my hand. I did it a couple of more times while watching the brake pads - and the right caliper sounded and looked like it was doing something. The rotors looked fine, but the inside of the right rotor just didn't feel right - not quite tacky - but my fingers didn't slide across it as easily. By itself I didn't notice anything, but comparing it to the others it was different. I pulled the calipers, deglazed the discs and pads with 800 grade emory cloth on a block, cleaned them up with brake cleaner - and went for another ride. It's gone. It's like the one surface had either gotten something on it that was making it grab once heated up, or some coating was on there since it was manufactured and it didn't act up until I was riding the bike harder after the ECU reflash - or maybe until we started having this triple digit weather...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts