Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GPS units made for motorcycles are around $500 to $700, I don’t feel the need for one that fancy and don’t want to spend that much for something that is so easy to lose, damage etc. So maybe a waterproof GPS made for general outdoor use, like this one:

Amazon.com: Garmin eTrex 20 Worldwide Handheld GPS Navigator: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: RAM Mount Cradle f/Garmin eTrex 10/20/30: GPS & Navigation
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/etrex-20/maps/on-the-road-maps/city-navigator-nt/city-navigator-north-america-nt/prod1456_010-11551-00.html

Not counting shipping, attaching the cradle to the bike and maybe a memory card that comes to $258.

What do you think?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Super Moderator
5,700 Posts
I've had a Garmin Zumo 550 since 2007 and I am totally satisfied with it. The only other thing that I would like to be on it, is the feature that the newer one have.........satellite weather radar......but if you are riding in an area that you can get decent cell phone signals, you can always use the smartphone and pull up a weather app. It would just be handier to already be on the GPS system.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I maybe of some help here as i have just gone thru this whole thing and you may have it already. !st of all if you have a smart phone i.e. iPhone,samsung galaxy you get the picture then all you need is a Sena smh10 and they will connect to each other wirelessly all you have to do is download a good map app google maps have made a nice comeback. Their are other communication devices but i like sena it is a reasonable price and works great it will connect to other peoples sena i use mine a lot to listen to music and if i feel like it i answer the phone. If you want to do this with just a gps the only one i know that will do it are the ones for motorcycles only yes the $500-$700 ones.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh i almost forgot i use the Ram mount X-grip to hold my iPhone while riding i don't know how but the dam thing holds really good handles bumps with out it budging.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am going to purchase the 665LM GPS from best buy this weekend. Does anyone have this, if so, does the mounts that come with the GPS, are they good for the bars on the FZ?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
$75, Garmin Nuvi, hasn't failed yet. Got it on Craigslist

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
+1 for smartphone + sena. Gets the job done without looking down and being distracted

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
You cannot do a decent job route planning with Google maps on your phone. I use a Garmin Nuvi with Base Camp software on my PC and a somewhat water resistant case with a Ram mount like so. It has made it through rain and snow, yes snow in Canada. I have another Ram mount for sunny days. I ride with a Sena also, but much rather use a separate iPod for my music.

View attachment 1952

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Tunnelvison, how did you mount it on the FZ. Can you provide a picture of it mounted on your bike?
I used a universal mount that clamps onto the handlebars. I don't have any closeups of it, but you can kind of see it in the pic below.. mine is the bike to the left. Its a clamp mount with 2 screws. I have the clamp right up against the left side of the left bar riser. The radius is a bit funny but not as bad as the rest of the bar. I have one bolt tightened all the way and the second is tightened but no all the way.. just enough to keep it from moving. Of course I check it each time I go out. One time I forgot to check it and the whole thing got loose over a series of bumps, it didn't fall off, but I was able to pull over and tighten it with the screw driver in the tool kit.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
You cannot do a decent job route planning with Google maps on your phone. I use a Garmin Nuvi with Base Camp software on my PC and a somewhat water resistant case with a Ram mount like so. It has made it through rain and snow, yes snow in Canada. I have another Ram mount for sunny days. I ride with a Sena also, but much rather use a separate iPod for my music.

View attachment 1952
Yup - should have caveated I use gps to get me somewhere or home. When I'm looking for routes I like getting lost or trying to find it on my own. Or use *gasp* a map :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
670 Posts
The best feature of the Garmin 220 is the go home key. Ride, see a nice road, take it. Repeat as many times as necessary. When it's time to return - press go home. No need to know where you are or how to backtrack.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I did get up close so it does look larger than is really is, but I have to wear bifocals when I ride to see anything on the dash. My progressive lenses tend to bend objects and have a very limited field of view. Contacts drive me crazy when I ride, so they are out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts