Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Saw a picture in a post, yesterday, but can't find it.

The picture had a unit set in a blister pack.

Was able the get the GPR website, part number and phone number from it.

Web site doesn't show part or part number, but can be ordered by phone

till the web site is updated.

The FZ 09 unit just came out a couple of weeks ago according to the guy on the phone.

Turns out they are right here in San Diego, south part.

Will get one in the next day or two.

Reactions: fz9-tx-guy

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
337 Posts
What is the price on the unit? Had a GPR on my 2005 Kawi 636 and it was decent, still think Scotts makes a better product but obviously we have limited options at this point

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I think they charged me mid $500 range. They forgot to email me the invoice. It should be here tomorrow, so I will check the invoice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think they charged me mid $500 range. They forgot to email me the invoice. It should be here tomorrow, so I will check the invoice.
Not to step on anybody's toes, but I had wondered if this was something that could be a group

purchase discount thing , like the Arrow exhaust , for example.

They are located right in my backyard, San Diego.

I will ride the 18 miles to go get one, tomorrow.

They have choice of color, available.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
My problem is that I am a quick, decisive person. I am not a wait for a deal kind of guy. I do support Nick wholeheartedly, but when I saw the picture of the finished product after periodically checking GPR's website, I picked up the phone and purchased one instantly. I didn't slow down long enough to see that it was Nick that posted the part.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you bought these just for prevention or has a problem occurred that this will fix. I know it cant hurt anything but for the money is it a must for safety or just better ride feel.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
It is hard to describe, but I will try. The front end is nervous and skittish. It moves around too easily. I like a bike that is planted and feels like it is on rails. Also, when getting on the gas with a little lean the bike wants to stand up as we say in the dirt. Lastly, setting it down from wheelies, the front shakes and wobbles. With a damper, I can raise the forks in the triple clamps and raise the rear for sharper, more balanced steering without the ill effects of headshake.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My problem is that I am a quick, decisive person.

I am not a wait for a deal kind of guy.

I do support Nick wholeheartedly, but when I saw the picture of the finished product after periodically checking GPR's website, I picked up the phone and purchased one instantly.

I didn't slow down long enough to see that it was Nick that posted the part.
I get that way , myself, on occasion.

Other times , I can be The Last Vulture on The Fence.

Reminds me of the Old Bull / Young Bull joke I heard on a movie called Blue Thunder, with Roy Scheider. :cool:

·
Registered
730 Posts
Why? I don't feel a need for one. My FZ hasn't shook yet....

·
Registered
192 Posts
You probably will ntot feel a need for one. Most modern bikes that truly need one, come with them attached. But, you want one. If you've not tried one, do it.

I went for way too many years without, and finally decided to get one for my Ninja 1000. Another bike that does nto need one, but as mentioned before, I was messing withgeometry, and wanted it as an insurance policy.

Obviously, it can be adjusted to zero interference, or stiff. Thats obvious. Low speed turns will take you for a "ride" until you realize how much more effort is required to turn the bars, if its adjusted stiff. No big deal, just different.

Whats not so obvious, but very nice, is the feeling you get on chopped up roads. The imperfections on the road disappear and the bike feels as planted as a Goldwing. You guys who have ridden big, heavy tourers know what I mean. The big bike just feels glued to the road. Its so relaxing, and feels so secure. But, unlike tight steering bearings, the damper still allows you to feel the road. The bike does feel like its on rails. It makes choppy pavement feel like its brand new concrete thats been polished.

For sure dont add one until your ready to add them to all your bikes. They are THAT nice. Expensive, but worth twice as much as they cost. Thats coming from someone with 42 years experience riding without one, and swearing I'd never get one.

Screw the safety aspects, its just nice to have. I bought the Scotts, but the gpr and its remote adjustments look very nice.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
192 Posts
Installation is usually nothing.

Typically, its two brackets. One fits under/around the steering head nut. The other, to the frame. Often times its the two bolts that hold down the front of the gas tank.

I'd have to go look at the fz 09, specifically, but most bikes are very similar.

If you have the tools laid out, maybe 15 minutes???

Honest. They one of those products you do without for your entire career, then realize what a mistake you've made in the first 20 feet of use. Your giddy like a little girl and start telling your friends. They then remind you about how they told you about it in 1998 and you swore you'd never be caught dead with one.

The ones liek the Scotts, or GPR, especially. Not so much the older style that add friction all the time. The Scotts and GPR (probably others, too) are so tunable you can pretty much make them respond how and when you want.

A salesman could sell a million of them if only there was a way to demo them.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I want one so bad right now! I get the wiggle under hard acceleration...it goes away but it isn't the most comfortable feeling. I'm so used to it now that it kinda worries me...it's just part of the bike. $550 is a lot bit I think I will take the dive sometime soon.

GPR for FZ09

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Installation is usually nothing.

Typically, its two brackets. One fits under/around the steering head nut. The other, to the frame. Often times its the two bolts that hold down the front of the gas tank.

I'd have to go look at the fz 09, specifically, but most bikes are very similar.

If you have the tools laid out, maybe 15 minutes???

Honest. They one of those products you do without for your entire career, then realize what a mistake you've made in the first 20 feet of use. Your giddy like a little girl and start telling your friends. They then remind you about how they told you about it in 1998 and you swore you'd never be caught dead with one.

The ones liek the Scotts, or GPR, especially. Not so much the older style that add friction all the time. The Scotts and GPR (probably others, too) are so tunable you can pretty much make them respond how and when you want.

A salesman could sell a million of them if only there was a way to demo them.
It bolts into the single airbox bolt. You have to make sure it is centered to the frame when you tighten it down.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts