Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

Okay you wizards, how did you get the nuts off the bottom of the OEM bar clamps (under the top triple clamp)? It's difficult to get a socket onto the nut cleanly and not a lot of room to move. How much of the front end of the bike did you disassemble to get it done?

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I did mine with the tank already off for other stuff. Then turn the bars all the way to one side etc. If I recall right I used one of those universal joints (is that what they are called in this situation?) that goes between the socket and ratchet or extension so you can be at a slight bend.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, that's what I figured. Thanks Bob. I didn't want to, but I guess I'll have to move the tank. I got annoyed and frustrated and gave up. Not having full strength in my left arm yet makes it harder. I think I need a helper. :p

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Google: site:FZ09.org GPR Dolan

I found this, he said he did with the tank on, in his tool list he has uni.
http://www.fz09.org/forum/14-fz-09-performance/1868-gpr-steering-dampener.html#post33530

I think in another thread Dolan (IMO one of the best mechanics on the forum) said a bit more about it specifically, but I don't recall where or what he said.

I just went to the garage, seems like a 17mm socket, a uni, and enough extension(s) to get the ratchet below the bottom triple will work

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I used a uni and my two foot long extension that I thought I would only use once in my life the day I bought it for another handlebar job. I have now used it a total of five times in 10 years. Turn the bar all the way to the other side to tighten. I left the tank in but be careful. If it breaks loose, you are sure to dent the tank. I try to refrain from taking my tank off if I can avoid it. It is so easy to scratch the frame even if it is taped up.

·
Registered
111 Posts
No need to remove any parts just DON'T turn the steering to full lock, some bumps on the steering head will get in the way, just turn it a little and use a couple of extension bars to get the ratchet below the lower tripple clamp.

Reactions: jcfz6r1

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, thanks for the tips guys. I think my biggest problem was getting frustrated with my weak arm (I had just gotten home from the gym too so energy was low). I'll get it done with a few more extensions and some elbow grease.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL... I thought about that. I did use it on the headstock nut. I get nervous using impact with extensions and U joints, but I guess just start low and be sure the socket is firmly on the nut.

·
Registered
277 Posts
No need to remove any parts just DON'T turn the steering to full lock, some bumps on the steering head will get in the way, just turn it a little and use a couple of extension bars to get the ratchet below the lower tripple clamp.
This is what I did and it worked great.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts