Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me give you a little background ridden moto cross and dirt bikes for 30 years and I've always had stabilizers on the dirt bikes.when I bought the FZO 9 I felt it was a little nervous on the front and so I put stabilizer on it. The mods I've done is I've put a ZX 10shock on the back and tightened up the front compression as much as it will go and I'm going to put a gold valve with progressive springs in the 90kg on front because it is still to soft . So I was riding with some friends yesterday yes here in California we have sun and can ride year around. we were hauling ass on some back country paved roads and I came into a turn a little hot and backed off the throttle on a bumpy road and the bike started to get nervous would have turned in to a tank slapped with a very bad out come at those speeds . Got the bike back in control got back on the gas. Just posted this for any of you that are thinking about a stabilizer just do it you won't regret. The best thing about the stabilizer is you don't know they're working until you have a little bit of a problem and then they do what there supposed to. Can't wait to put the race tec springs in and I think my mods for the suspension for the bike will be done Jim V

·
Registered
657 Posts
I gotta get mine in..

·
Registered
189 Posts
Couple of month ago I was riding a bit too fast and did not notice the sign that there is a road-bump, when I came around corner it was so close that I'v panicked and grabbed my front wheel break. Luckily I had ABS, so no harm was done, without them the front wheel would have been locked and me on the ground or worse.
:)

·
Registered
406 Posts
For me, I don't have stock bars so I couldn't tell you. I think it would be fine though as it did not add that much height.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The GPR is a great piece, but its not a replacement for good suspension....For someone who rides mainly on the street,I feel that a good rear shock and a front end that is properly sprung and damped is more important that a steering stabilizer

·
Registered
406 Posts
The GPR is a great piece, but its not a replacement for good suspension....For someone who rides mainly on the street,I feel that a good rear shock and a front end that is properly sprung and damped is more important that a steering stabilizer
Well, the front end always felt very light to me and was easy to get the bars shaking when accelerating hard. After the GPR I don't have this issue. I'm not sure suspension would fix this. So, no, the GPR isn't a replacement for suspension just like suspension isn't a replacement for a steering stabilizer.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah I am fan of the steering damper on my bikes, especially ones that have high hp and light weight. I have seen too many slappers on YouTube to be able to relax at speed without one on there. There is one on I saw with a guy on an R-1 (all be it he was driving like a maniac at 130mph in residential) and he barely pulled out of it. #puckerfactor10

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Well, the front end always felt very light to me and was easy to get the bars shaking when accelerating hard. After the GPR I don't have this issue. I'm not sure suspension would fix this. So, no, the GPR isn't a replacement for suspension just like suspension isn't a replacement for a steering stabilizer.
Yes, they front is very light no doubt about it,gets even lighter on hard acceleration... I like it that way... knock on wood, I've not had any head shake issues with this bike .

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yes, they front is very light no doubt about it,gets even lighter on hard acceleration... I like it that way... knock on wood, I've not had any head shake issues with this bike .
It could just be me doing something wrong, or lack of experience, but it happened a lot on my bike before the GPR. Not crazy scary shaking, but enough to see it from behind the bike while I was riding it.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
It could just be me doing something wrong, or lack of experience, but it happened a lot on my bike before the GPR. Not crazy scary shaking, but enough to see it from behind the bike while I was riding it.
Meh, I dont think your doing anything wrong...the front is light and under hard acceleration, it will skip a bit ..a good rear shock will cut down on the squat and help with it a little, but too much throttle will always float the wheel.....I guess if you dont have a good grip, the bars could go back and forth a bit and the GPR will certainly help, but I dont feel the need for my riding style. ..I would put one on in a heartbeat though if I ever planned on taking the bike to the track.

Reactions: MoFZio

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you slid your forks up in the triple clamp anyto put more weight on the front end

·
Registered
111 Posts
What setting are you guys using on the damper ?

I have mine set at zero and I still find it too intrusive, I was going to play with the oil weight but I just removed it instead.

I have Scotts dampers on all my other bikes and I don't know they are there until they are needed.

I can feel the GPR all the time and everybody that rides the bike comments on it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
What setting are you guys using on the damper ?

I have mine set at zero and I still find it too intrusive, I was going to play with the oil weight but I just removed it instead.

I have Scotts dampers on all my other bikes and I don't know they are there until they are needed.

I can feel the GPR all the time and everybody that rides the bike comments on it.
If you can feel it all the time and it is on 0 then something is wrong. I can turn mine down to where I don't even think it is doing anything, all the way up to so stiff that it is physically hard to turn the bars. Lots of range.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts