Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Just finished installing my GPR Furore slip-on. Ran me $350 shipped on ebay. Very pleased with the quality and the sound. I have yet to take the dB killers out and will probably only do so on track days. Plenty of grumbles coming from this pipe. I chose a hacksaw as my weapon of choice due to precision and thinnest cut.

IMG_20150525_123157809_HDR.jpg IMG_20150525_123130551.jpg IMG_20150524_200138731.jpg IMG_20150525_123212589.jpg IMG_20150525_123227664.jpg

Reactions: gunpup

·
Registered
619 Posts
Is there more than that one spring hooked up to the O2 sensor holding it on? how much of the stock header is inserted into that sleeve?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only 1 spring holding onto the o2, but pipe fits on very snug. About 2/3 of an inch fitting onto stock header.

·
Registered
35 Posts
thank you GhengisT for the post.. I also consider whether to buy this slipon or not.
Do you have any comparison with other exhausts (you owned any, your friends or just heard on the streets) in terms of loudness or general sound quality?
There is no problem for me to cut the exhaust pipe, I dont care about any approvals, etc.. but I need very deep, low and lound exhaust to be audible/noticeable on the streets and just for my pleasure.
So, what you think? carbon akra, or termignoni full exhausts they are louder?

Regards,
Daniel

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you GhengisT for the post.. I also consider whether to buy this slipon or not.
Do you have any comparison with other exhausts (you owned any, your friends or just heard on the streets) in terms of loudness or general sound quality?
There is no problem for me to cut the exhaust pipe, I dont care about any approvals, etc.. but I need very deep, low and lound exhaust to be audible/noticeable on the streets and just for my pleasure.
So, what you think? carbon akra, or termignoni full exhausts they are louder?

Regards,
Daniel
I've listened to a ton of exhaust clips. I was leaning towards the Yoshimura R-77 or the Akrapovic Carbon full systems, but I couldn't justify the additional $400 when the stock headers are actually quite decent. The GPR Furore that I installed was an immediate improvement over the stock exhaust. It has a very deep tone and I don't think the Akra, Yoshi, or any other full-system will yield much of a deeper tone. Nothing about the GPR kit has made me feel that the manufacturer skimped or produced any parts cheaply. The canister has a quality look and feel to it. The mid-pipe section that mounts to the header was very snug and a perfect fitment. I've wiggled the canister on a handful of occasions and tested the system for leaks and haven't found any. The only complaint was the instructions are in Italian, but they made a how-to video on Youtube.. the install is quite similar to the M4 slip-on and there's a video for that too.

I had a tough time installing the support that wraps around the canister and mounts to the frame. It was the hardest part of the install, and a third hand would have been helpful. In my experience, most of those are a pain in the arse to install.. I can upload a sound clip later today, but this video was what sold me:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am very interested on buying a gpr exhaust, specifically the ghisa, did you get any tax added to your purchase or any custom fee's? how long was the shipping? Is this system loud? are you riding rich? any tips or regrets("should of chosen m4")?

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I found a few on eBay initially. There was one in stainless from the manufacturer I believe for $350 with free shipping. It was coming from Italy, no VAT taxes. I wanted black though and there was a guy in Florida selling his new in box for $20 more. So I sent him a message asking if he would price match and he did. He shipped it free 2-day as well. We're now friends on Facebook since he's also an FZ09 rider :D

There are two baffles- one fits in the can at the back before you attach it to the mid pipe. It looks more like a spark arrestor. The second is the dB killer you can see at the exit hole in my pics. It's held in by a really strong circlip, you'll need circlip pliers and two small flat head screwdrivers to get it out. It sounded great with the dB killer installed, very tolerable on highway and around town.

My boss helped me remove it though because he's a Harley rider and everything should be loud :cool: . I'm not a loud exhaust guy, but after almost going down because of two deer, I'm convinced it helps to be on the loud side.

Without the dB killer, it sounds like a GP bike. Straight awesomeness! That crossplane crankshaft design really shines, and it's not high pitch like most of the inline 4 cylinder bikes. When I'm lane splitting on the freeway in congested traffic, I feel like Moses parting the seas. People feel my bike rumbling and are more alert, a bonus for any motorcycle. An added bonus is the annoyance I can see on all cage drivers faces when they have to sit next to me at stop lights, with the purr of the FZ09 overtaking their music :D

My friend has the same FZ09, color and all. He went with the M4. It sounds good, but doesn't compare to the deep rumble the GPR has. Friends have told me the same and I think secretly he wishes he had bought the GPR. The only thing I really like about the M4 is the midpipe has the lambda sensor on the backside so it's out of sight. I will also say that I went for a long ride a bit hungover on Sunday morning. When I got back, my head was ringing so I'm now carrying earplugs. I haven't picked up any special interests on the police side either which I was worried about, I think they're mostly looking for the screamers.

HTH

Reactions: ranar and Steve101

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am very interested on buying a gpr exhaust, specifically the ghisa, did you get any tax added to your purchase or any custom fee's? how long was the shipping? Is this system loud? are you riding rich? any tips or regrets("should of chosen m4")?
Forgot to answer your question about running rich. After removing the dB killer, there was some throttle hesitation. I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes to let the ECU reset. Runs perfect, and averaging 41mpg riding 60% highway 40% city.. Doesn't smell too rich either.

Reactions: ranar

·
Registered
551 Posts
What is db killer? Sorry, I'm a noob

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is db killer? Sorry, I'm a noob
Decibel is a unit of sound measure.

dB killer = sound muffler.

For anyone who is interested. I measured 86-88 dB with both baffles installed (idling)

I measured 91-93 dB with one baffle removed (idling)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Reactions: GhengisT

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
This is tempting given the price but the ixill is only $150 more for a full system. Decisions, decisions lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
i read on some thread that somone installed the ixill full and lost back pressure.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What really intrigued me about the GPR exhaust was that they have so many different styles that all fit the MT-09. To me, that's an exhaust company.

Regarding the ixill system, I've watched their price gradually decline since it came out which indicates it's not selling well. The member that had an issue probably just needed an ECU reset. I had some throttle hesitation after removing the dB killer. Without getting too technical, back pressure is often misconstrued. When people talk about back pressure, what they really mean is exhaust flow velocity. An engine needs to be able to move a volume of exhaust gas at a certain rate to be efficient. Opening the exhaust using larger exhaust tubing decreases the velocity which can rob you of low and mid range torque, but will increase top end. It's all about finding a balance.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is tempting given the price but the ixill is only $150 more for a full system. Decisions, decisions lol
Hey Beck, noticed you're in NJ. I just got back from a business trip in Somerset and the whole time I was there, I was wishing I had my bike. All the highway intersections had these awesome curves, but I was stuck in a poop green Ford Focus..

Reactions: beck and Steve101

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ordered from ebay yesterday. Can't wait for it to get here!
Nice! Which one did you go with? Planning to cut it yourself or take it to a motorcycle / exhaust shop?

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Every exhaust is different and may need a different fuel map to run. Ixill is no different - I'm not sure where you were looking ghengisT but the price is the same now as it was when they released it - I have a buddy I ride with who owns one and it looks and sounds great. I've ridden his 09 with the exhaust and Ecu flash and it's smooth as butter.

I'm not knocking the slip on - this looks and sounds great. Just saying that for a full system I've heard and experienced good things with the Ixill - just something to consider.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ixill makes a nice exhaust and I've heard good things about them, but 2 outlets on a 3 cyl didn't appeal to me. If it was tri-outlet, I would have bought that over the GPR.

I was looking at the Akrapovic Carbon for $651 and this ixill for $650: IXIL L3XB HYPERLOW BLACK FULL EXHAUST YAMAHA FZ09 2013-2015 - IXIL USA

Appearance is all personal preference though, to each his own.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
ixill makes a nice exhaust and I've heard good things about them, but 2 outlets on a 3 cyl didn't appeal to me. If it was tri-outlet, I would have bought that over the GPR.

I was looking at the Akrapovic Carbon for $651 and this ixill for $650: IXIL L3XB HYPERLOW BLACK FULL EXHAUST YAMAHA FZ09 2013-2015 - IXIL USA

Appearance is all personal preference though, to each his own.
for some reason i didnt think the akrapovic was similar price - i have to stop looking at these before i buy one :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts