Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've noticed some noise coming from my damper and when I removed the damper, I found this.
Damper damage.jpg

The damage is obviously coming from contact with the top of the steering stem. I would guess it is because of
a minor tip over that may have tweaked the bar risers, causing the damper to be slightly out of position. What next? Just loosen the bolts holding the risers to the top triple clamp
and hope that when I tighten everything back up it will straighten out?

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Aside from being ugly, it doesn't look like the damper itself is damaged. Was the noise always present? Of only after the tip over? Did you reuse the stock nut or the supplied nut from GPR?

Assuming you're using their nut, I'd inspect the risers and mounting plate for damage/bends. If all is well, reassemble and and see how it looks.

FWIW, this is the first issue like this I've come across.

·
Super Moderator
4,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I used the nut supplied with the GPR kit. As far as when I noticed the noise, well...I always ear plugs and put them in while the bike is warming up. So I just don't really know when the noise started to show itself. I will pull it all down and use my huge/thick glass plate to check for flatness/straightness. The noise is intermittent and varies between a creaking and clicking. Holding the damper in my hand and using all of my puny muscle power I cannot get the damper to make any noise when moving the arm. It's amazing how much can go wrong after a simple tipover and that was with me grabbing one grip as the bike went over to a soft landing. At least there is plenty of time to get this sorted, as we are about to go back into the deep freeze later this week. It's in the mid-60's today and the 09 is in pieces. Time to drag out the DR650 for a spin around the neighborhood.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Assuming there are no bent components, reassemble with some Dykem/Bluing/paint around the circumference of the hole. Turn the bars in both directions lock to lock a few times, remove the damper, and check for worn away paint.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When my son threw my bike down the road on the left side, it bent the bolt that holds down the left bar mount.

From the riding position I could see and feel no difference, I only discovered the bent bolt when I removed the damper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts