Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been riding reverse shift/GP shift on my street bikes for years. I also play first person shooter games with an inverted Y axis on the mouse. I know I'm weird but this shift pattern just feels more natural to me for street bikes. Anyways, todays project was to fabricate and weld a tab on the shifter to move the linkage effectively changing the shift pattern.
I tried the easy way first by flipping the shift arm on the shift shaft and flipping the QS upside down. I got GP shift but the QS didn't work at all. Ok Yamaha, the hard way it is.
Took some scrap metal, 1" x 1/8" flat bar and cut a 2" piece off. Drilled a 7/32 hole and tapped with a 6mm x 1.00. Cleaned shift pedal, TIG welded tab and paint. (Note: There is a plastic/Teflon lining in the shift pedal. Needless to say it melted and bubbled, even though I took my time and tried not to put too much heat into it. I had to sand it smooth so the bolt would fit and made sure it moved freely.) I had to adjust the shift arm a little to get a smoother feeling shift. I then adjusted shift pedal to desired height and done. A quick test ride and success! GP Shift with working QS.

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
I tried the easy way first by flipping the shift arm on the shift shaft and flipping the QS upside down. I got GP shift but the QS didn't work at all.
Yeah flipping the QS sensor upside down won't make a difference because a 'push' will still be detected as a push. What should work is finding out which wire is the push wire and which is the pull wire, and swapping them around at the connector.

Ok Yamaha, the hard way it is.
That way will work too! lol

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah flipping the QS sensor upside down won't make a difference because a 'push' will still be detected as a push. What should work is finding out which wire is the push wire and which is the pull wire, and swapping them around at the connector.

That way will work too! lol
Damnit! I didn't even think of flipping the wires. lol! :unsure:

• Haha
Reactions: Moto26

·
Registered
2021 Yamaha MT-09 SP
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
After staring at the wiring diagram for a bit, I guess it could be as simple as swapping the white and red wires in the plug. :unsure: I'll have to test that at a later date. Not as fun as fabricating and welding though. :)

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,668 Posts
I had no choice but to do it the hard way and carve a section out of the rearset. Can’t use a quick shifter with this setup, but that’s okay. I quick-shift the old fashioned way! But yes, I totally get the desire for GP shift. I’ve been using it ever since I started racing in the 80’s...

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Will have to try race shift some day for fun. :)

·
Registered
5,627 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Money shifting in...3...2...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts