Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I followed the launch of this and actually know someone who bought a 790 right before they released. I've always been tempted to try a KTM, but the rumours of reliability have steered me away. If the MT wasn't what I needed and more out of a bike I'd probably look at one of those 890's. Although I have a real soft spot for the Indian FTR1200.
And now the FTR R Carbon is really a looker.

·
Registered
587 Posts
That's the main reason I won't buy one or any bike by HD either. They don't make sense no matter how cool it looks. Gimme 150hp and we'll talk.

·
Registered
624 Posts
9 months old 8000kms on my 890 Duke R & love this bike, key points for me handling, amazing brakes & weight, an that low & mid range torque that pulls so hard all the fun at half the speed, quick shifter great up & but shit down blipper, launch control works great, cruise control is flawless, the track pack is great with extra throttle maps, you can control the slip with 9 levels, comes with wheelie control, fuel consumption is amazing compared to my 4 x MT09s that I have owned, weak points in my mind having owned many KTM's is reliability which does not bother me to much as I really only keep my bikes for 12 months then move onto the next one, not that I have had any real problems with the bike only had a set of front rotors due to brake shudder under warranty in 8000kms.

My new 2021 MT09SP arrives in 8 weeks time.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well my good buddy Turbo Dave bought a shiny new 890 Duke with all the goodies. He stacked on the "track pack" and since he's a big boy he had weight appropriate springs installed.
He went for his first real ride yesterday and the damn thing sprung a radiator leak 100 miles from home. Even with AMA Roadside assistance he had to pony up an additional $339 for the tow truck.
I reminded him that he chose to marry a drug addled stripper and the price to pay for all that wild pu$$y would be high.

·
Registered
326 Posts
That's the main reason I won't buy one or any bike by HD either. They don't make sense no matter how cool it looks. Gimme 150hp and we'll talk.
I think there's a lot more to a bike than just straight hp and weight numbers but if you do your research you'll see the FTR1200 makes 80 pound feet of torque which is considerably more than the mt-09s. When you look at the competition for this bike likely being a Harley Iron 1200, that bike only has 60hp and 73 pound feet of torque. I'd gladly take the Indian over any of HDs street offerings!

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Let's not get into the torque thing. A Porsche Taycan Turbo S has much more torque than a 992 Turbo S but dies at 261 km/h while the I/C car tops 320.
Torque x revs / 5252 is what makes power and top speed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Let's not get into the torque thing. A Porsche Taycan Turbo S has much more torque than a 992 Turbo S but dies at 261 km/h while the I/C car tops 320.
Torque x revs / 5252 is what makes power and top speed.
Cause we're all worried about making it past 261 km/h on city roads when deciding what vehicle to buy... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2016 XSR900 60th Anniv. Edition
2,319 Posts
Cause we're all worried about making it past 261 km/h on city roads when deciding what vehicle to buy... :rolleyes:
I have to agree there. For a street bike (or car, for that matter), I don’t care if the thing craps out at 120mph. But it’s awesome if it can get there in about 4 seconds! And being able to pass a line of traffic instantly without even downshifting is much more useful than having 200hp on tap - but you have to rev it to 12000rpm to get it...

·
Registered
923 Posts
I don’t care if the thing craps out at 120mph.
Ditto... Back when I was goofing around with cars more than bikes, I was obsessed with making freight train highway killer Supras. Then, one day I put my RX7 together with a basic performance upgrade stock 13B twin turbo engine. The low down zippy power was WAY more fun.
So these days I'm way more entertained by out of the hole torque and lightweight handling. I'll spend 95% of my time riding in those conditions vs. a highspeed highway pull.

Time and tastes change. :)

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
On our roads quick acceleration makes the difference between and enjoyable trip and an extra hour spent cursing Miss Daisy. Plus, I hated every Harley I rode, they have torque but are still dog slow.
But there are still places in the world where strong acceleration over 200km/h is still an important feature.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Just a follow up on post #24 about the KTM radiator crapping out.
Turns out it did have an impact with something.
The new one will be here on Monday and a radiator guard will be along later next week.
However, my drug addled stripper comment will remain for later reference.:sneaky:

21 - 33 of 33 Posts