Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and had a hard time finding anything.

I got the new Akrapovic Carbon installed last night. I got everything torqued down to spec and let the bike run to warm up with the new exhaust. Good news is that everything seems to be going great with it. It sounds great and loud even with the baffle in (which I think is going to be how I am going to run it primarily). vcyclenut will be up in the Atlanta area next week and I have already reached out to him, so he knows I am looking forward to stopping by to have him tune the ECU for me while he is in town.

A few questions that I do have:

1) when I rev it slightly I notice that it seems like there is a rattle from the end of the exhaust. I checked and everything is tight, and there was nothing in the pipes or can when I put it all together. The sound also sounds like it could just be a turbulent sound from the exiting exhaust.

2) I looked for actual instructions on how to remove the baffle for some events (friday night drags here in town, it would be mean to hear the bike at full chat on the Nascar oval). I see one bolt that goes through and it looks like it has a rubber cover on the it. I am guessing I just have to pull the cover and the bolt and wiggle out the baffle.

·
Registered
36 Posts
baffle is easy to remove, if it rattles, some thng isnt tight enough (spec standard)

as for the baffle removal, thats just a bold on the inner left side from memory.

·
Vendor
1,562 Posts
I removed the plug and bolt while the can was attached to the rest of the exhaust

then removed the canister and used a piece of wood to tap it out from the other side, no struggle or hassle at all

should not rattle, check your bolts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have to take a look at it when I get home. I torqued everything to spec, then re-torque after I let the bike idle for a while and heat up. I and hit and shake the pipes and can without any sound, it only seems to make a slight rattle/buzz. I am hoping to take it for a 30min ride or so when I get home and then rechecking everything again to make sure.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
My baffle was a little tight so I used needle-nose pliers to grip the baffle and then yanked out.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I removed the plug and bolt while the can was attached to the rest of the exhaust

then removed the canister and used a piece of wood to tap it out from the other side, no struggle or hassle at all

should not rattle, check your bolts
Woah woah youll be in atlanta? Could you do a flash without me having to send my ecu to you? :O

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got home and double checked all the bolts were at the right torque readings. Took the bike out last night for about 25 miles. Came back and rechecked the bolts and only one pair of header bolts needed to be snugged back down to 16ft lbs.

Road the bike in to work today and I must say I can't wait til the ecu is flashed, I am doing my best to keep it calm so that I don't over work it while riding without the tune.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread but since I'll be changing my exhaust soon, is it needed to use loctite or antiseize on the header bolts? I haven't changed the entire exhaust system on any previous bike.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I would not loc tite the bolts. I torque them dry... Never had an issue. I just pulled the headers off a bike that has not had them off in 6 years, no problem.

Refinished them, bolted back up...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The exhaust didn't come with any anti-seize grease or anything. I used the old trick of pencil lead on the threads of the o2 sensor before threading it in. you shouldn't need anything on the header bolts as they are studs sticking out from the motor and you are only threading on a nut.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm in Atlanta and would love to hear your exhaust in person one day. I'm still on the fence about this one and the arrow exhaust. I'm also going to get flashed while David is in town.

·
Registered
520 Posts
If you rode a lot with baffle in already the heat probably expanded it and it will be difficult, take off whole can and tap it out with a plunger handle from the back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Second thing I did.... kissed it first!!

OP... check your carbon can... there might be something caught in there? It could be a spring vibrating or (LOL) a loose O2 sensor as there is nothing else there to rattle.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The exhaust didn't come with any anti-seize grease or anything. I used the old trick of pencil lead on the threads of the o2 sensor before threading it in. you shouldn't need anything on the header bolts as they are studs sticking out from the motor and you are only threading on a nut.
My set had a tube of copper anti seize with the carton..... Did you buy brand new or elsewhere?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts