Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting at a red light in rush hour traffic. There was nowhere I could go even though I heard tires screeching at the last split-second. Luckily it was only at about 5mph. It threw me up onto the gas tank. Back is a little sore but I'm fine otherwise; just glad the girlfriend wasn't riding also. Luckily the bike got basically stuck on the bumper and that's the only reason I didn't fall off.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok, hope the bikes not too bad off. Did you ask the idiot cager how they were unable to see that bright red LED brake light? I'm guessing a cell phone was involved somehow...

·
Registered
518 Posts
Glad youre ok. Same thing happened to me this spring. Have the bike checked out, especially the frame/swingarm/wheel alignment. Upgrade (if you haven't already) your tail light.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Whoa!!
So sorry to hear this happened!! But happy to know that you're okay!!
I'm in the same opinion that it was distracted driving. What was the explanation from the driver?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Man glad you're ok!! This is one of the reasons I'm so glad we can lane share in Cal. Nothing beats having a pile of stopped cars behind you at an intersection when distracted driver come rolling up! Again really glad it wasn't worse!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Glad you are ok. Be careful what you post about being fine in case you are not, like your back gets worse or end up with other issues and need to file a suit. I have seen lawyers dig up some far reaching crap to try and discredit people.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
That's one hungry SUV! Glad you're ok. That pic would be useful for a PSA...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Glad to hear you're ok.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Glad your OK, it could have been much worse. Being rear ended while stoppoed is always a concern while riding....if at all possible, always leave yourself a way out when stopped.
I'm curious to see what the insurance company does as far as repairs

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Were you in neutral or 1st when the car hit you? When I come to a stop I always keep my eyes on my rear view mirrors and keep flashing my brake light until the car behind me stops. It has become second nature for me now.

·
Super Moderator
5,762 Posts
^^^^^^ VERY good advice above! Glad you are seemingly OK!

Reactions: Lee Drew

·
Registered
290 Posts
Seems no matter how many bright flashing red lights we put on the rear of our bikes, people on cellphones are not going to see us. As already suggested, in states without lane sharing, stay to the left side of the lane as much as possible. Do not put the bike in netural until the car behind you (if any) comes to a complete stop. Keeping your bike to the left side (car drivers side) and in gear gives you the opportunity to get out of the way when you hear or see something. Be mindful of your surroundings at all intersections and at stops. Give youself the best chance to avoid being hit from the rear.

Glad you walked away and the bike didn't get totalled.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Seems no matter how many bright flashing red lights we put on the rear of our bikes, people of cellphones are not going to see us. As already suggested, in states without lane sharing, stay to the left side of the lane as much as possible. Do not put the bike in netural until the car behind you (if any) comes to a complete stop. Keeping your bike to the left side (car drivers side) and in gear gives you the opportunity to get out of the way when you hear or see something. Be mindful of your surroundings at all intersections and at stops. Give youself the best chance to avoid being hit from the rear.

Glad you walked away and the bike didn't get totalled.
Lane sharing or not, I'd rather argue a ticket than get rear-ended. Pick a side and have an escape route! The 9er has plenty of launch torque to get you out a messy situation.

Good to see OP is doing alright!

Reactions: JustWantToRide

·
Registered
570 Posts
Were you in neutral or 1st when the car hit you? When I come to a stop I always keep my eyes on my rear view mirrors and keep flashing my brake light until the car behind me stops. It has become second nature for me now.
Yep, and I'd add don't pull up too close to the car in front of you at the intersection...that way you have plenty of room to pull around if someone is coming up too fast behind you.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt, but I'd still go see a doctor as back & neck injuries can haunt you for years to come, if not dealt with properly.

From the picture, all the weight of the dumper on the rear wheel could easily ruin the tire and bend the rim. It also doesn't take much to damage the engine, transmission or frame when something like this happens.

Make sure you get yourself and your 09 checked over thoroughly.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks a lot for the support, advice, and well wishes everyone.

To set the scene: I usually avoid this road as it's notorious for fender benders, but it's the only way home from my dealership (I had just left from getting my headlight recall sorted). We were at a dead stand still for about 10 minutes, I actually had the bike turned off and was sitting sideways because of an accident a few lights ahead. There was nowhere for me to go and cops were everywhere so I didn't want to lane split up to the open area at the intersection. Finally, when we were waved forward to move, I release the clutch and BAM. The guy, who had been sitting behind me and probably admiring the bike for the last ten minutes, just forgot I was there and hit me. He had no excuse to give me or the officer who looked at him like an idiot. He just said he wasn't paying attention. We were both dumbfounded.

Anyway, it took wrapping a strap around my forks and securing it to a tow truck while the Toyota reversed to get my bike off. The tire is trashed and I have a sneaking suspicion the wheel is bent. My lights and the fender eliminator are now trashed as well. Luckily my new custom seat was fine, but it took some ******* ingenuity to get the seat off since the plastics were all askew underneath.

Since the guy has reputable insurance (thankfully) I'm sending it back to the dealership to get EVERYTHING checked out and fixed. I like the new shock idea though..haha! The worst part about it is the weather right now is PERFECT for riding...and all I have is a mountain bike now. :mad:

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
They make a brake light modulator. It works very well in getting the attention of other drivers. Having a bright helmet color and jacket also helps since darker, more muted gear tends to blend in on the road.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts