Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plus 4 C today... might as well go break in the new bike.
Put on about 55km today, will do a bit more tomorrow.
Man...this motor, I'm speechless, and I'm not at full clip, far from it. This thing wheelies in B mode at 3500 feet above sea level:eek:

Love it...suspension, errrmmm ahh, ya. Nick, send me those front springs stat.

:D

I'm super happy with this bike, it will fit beautifully for what I need.

·
Registered
380 Posts
nice. Thats a bit chilly. Congrats

·
Super Moderator
5,713 Posts
You're a braver man than I.....riding in those kind of temperatures. Whew! That's cold!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Plus 4 C today... might as well go break in the new bike.
Put on about 55km today, will do a bit more tomorrow.
Man...this motor, I'm speechless, and I'm not at full clip, far from it. This thing wheelies in B mode at 3500 feet above sea level:eek:

Love it...suspension, errrmmm ahh, ya. Nick, send me those front springs stat.

:D

I'm super happy with this bike, it will fit beautifully for what I need.
That is about the temp here also. And the humidity is high. Still riding, although. I am good for an hour or two before I have to warm up. Watch the tires in the cold. They are slippery even when warmed up. But power sliding is so much fun. I know to that the suspension is marginal and limits the awesome motor. I hope by spring there will be bunches of fixes to get it settled right.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to wait for the damn snow to get off the roads. Shady spots I tip toe through, but I'm maybe riding at 50% on a good stretch of road.
It wasn't too busy, so lots of loading on the motor, and lots of compression breaking.

My gerbings heated vest is a god send. You can ride down to about -5 deg C before having to stop, so as long as the roads are clear, I'm riding.
I have a few things coming from TThrottle. Hand guards, heated grips, radar wiring, tank ring for tank bag etc..
Also ordered some tank pads from Nick, and will have him ship some springs for my fat ass.
I'll do a write up on the fork disassembly, and new spring install, once the bike is back on the bench.

Oddly enough the seat is decent. my first impression was negative, but I'm quite happy with it. The stanke skin pads should help huge too.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Nothing like a cool weather ride. My daughter and I went out for about a half hour. We had talked about a Thanksgiving Day ride when she came home from college, although that was back in August. With a balmy 34 degrees (Fahrenheit) of toasty warmth outside (at least the wind had subsided), she rode the TU250X and I took the FZ-09. We'll probably ride again tomorrow!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got some riding in today here in Indy it was around 50 degrees when I left and around 38 degrees when I finally came home, not too bad tomorrow I am gonna ride my GROM first then come home and get the FZ to finish off the night! Gotta ride this week cause next weekend weather looks sketchy, maybe snow or wintry mix. :[

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Buggers went and salted (heavily) the intersections around here because of some flurries a couple of days back... looks like my season may be over, but we'll see! :crossfingers:

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'll ride all winter. Got my pickup for the nasty days.

Just got heated grips and glove liners. Saweet.

A couple tricks I use under my leathers and bohn armor:

Full edc innershell - super thin and durable additional windproof layer.

Sockz, or neoprene socks. Been experimenting.

Also rain covers over your boots takes the brunt of the windchill off the toes. Even bowling shoe covers will work. Can get them at dicks sporting goods.

Also at dicks or other sporting good store get those neoprene straps that wrap your pant leg to your boot to keep the wind from going up your leg.

Neck gaiter.

Neoprene shorts. Mine are shorts I used for jet skiing. Keeps my junk toasty warm.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yuck, dirt and road salt. Man, winter can be the pits in those upper latitudes. Pretty much why I moved from Minnesota to Cali 20 years ago. I thank my lucky stars that I can ride year round, except for the rainy days- too much traffic to negotiate on oil slicked roads. Rains mostly in the winter here, and gets dark early too... evening commute in rain, traffic, and the dark on a motorcycle in So Cal is not my idea of a good time. Call me a sissy, but I consider it downright treacherous.

Anyway, I'm gonna go scrub in the tires on my new ride over on Ortega Highway this fine winter (er.. fall) morning. Get a feel for the new bike, and see what can be done about those chicken strips. ;)

Riders on Ortega, Lake Elsinore side.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
meh...
Put on another 140 km in the cold over 3 days. These dunlops are real lively, mainly because they are not fully scrubbed, and the temps never got above 5 deg C.
no matter. I ride when I can, I start commuting to work in early april, and I'm forced to put the bike away in late October.

For colder days, I'll be using my Super T. Traction and ABS are handy in the cold.
Did a great ride in California this year. Moar here: California 2013 ? thetenerist
Planning something similar next year. Maybe mid april this time, and a bit further south. It might be the ST again, as it goes anywhere.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Never had any real experience with the P3's, but read great things about them.
I ran Bt-023 on my 900rr, and my 01 vfr with no issues. Decent tire for a decent price. Pretty sure they are now discontinued.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll do a write up on the fork disassembly, and new spring install, once the bike is back on the bench.
Brave. I pack it in as soon as the first salt is down. However, we always get a 3 or 4 day warm window in Jan which tempts me out along with the power hose and ACF 50.

Looking forward to your how to on the forks. That will help me. I did it only once before on a Tiger 1050 and really could need guidance this time.

·
Vendor
3,297 Posts
Speaking of tires I'm considering getting the Dunlop q3s or the Michelin pilot 3s. Anyone have any experience win them?
The PR3's are awesome tires. You can do things in the rain that would raise the hairs on the back of your neck...in a car. They warm up pretty quick and provide enough dry grip on the street to get you in plenty of trouble. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
182 Posts
Speaking of tires I'm considering getting the Dunlop q3s or the Michelin pilot 3s. Anyone have any experience win them?
I have the P3's on my FZ6R, I can't comment on the Q3's but the stock dunlops that were on the FZ6R don't even compare to the P3's, really nice tire so far (1k miles). Good grip, more of a sport touring tire. If you're commuting a lot and some spirited riding on the weekends I would say they are definitely great for that.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts