Yamaha FZ-09 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
......in red.

Have taken some initial measurements and will have more details, tomorrow.

So far:

Forks a lot shorter than the FZ 09 due to lower frame neck height.

Look to be roughly 28 3/4 inch long which is very close to some Ohlins I have from a Ducati.

FZ 09 forks were closer to 33 inches long, which made substitutes harder to find.

Leg a bit more bent with what felt like higher pegs, but actually front seat was about an inch lower than the FZ 09 seat.

Handlebars are 7/8 all the way through and about 2 inches narrower.

2 piece seat easier to deal with, having key lock on the left side instead of under the tail.

Forks had 30 mm sag with my 230 Lb weight on bike. Close enough for non adjustable forks, for now.

Will pull cap and spring to get measurement on spring.

Will run bike at Palomar this weekend , bone stock , with Go Pro video and camera chase bike.

Not sure how sticky Bridgestone BT 023 tires will be.

Mods will commence in The Skunk Werkz , soon after.

Need to check with Euro sources for aftermarket pipe.

I have seen an Akra out there, somewhere.

·
Vendor
2,394 Posts
Want a free taillight with integrated turn signals?
Hurtz and I are looking for a donor FZ-07 rear taillight to do a prototype system on. :)

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Want a free taillight with integrated turn signals?

Hurtz and I are looking for a donor FZ-07 rear taillight to do a prototype system on. :)
Will try to get some close up pictures of that area, tomorrow.

How long would you need it for ?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So far, there seems to be a couple of Akra sources in the UK.

Some more observations:

At quick glance the rear wheel / swing arm dimension seem close to FZ 09 .

Could make rear wheel work easier.

Rear shock appears to be easier to access.

Will try to get eye to eye length, soon, for " other bike " Ohlins conversion.

Reactions: marthy

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Dolan....I could be wrong but those 023's should be good enough on such a light bike. If not 016's would be perfect. Tell us what the recommended air pressure is for those tires....and what you are running.

We're waiting for that GO-PRO run up Palamar and to hear what you think of the bike. How does it react to trail braking? Let us know how hard it would be to move the instrument cluster forward a bit.....as people are complaining that you have to look straight down to see it.

Thanks...

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dolan....I could be wrong but those 023's should be good enough on such a light bike. If not 016's would be perfect. Tell us what the recommended air pressure is for those tires....and what you are running.

We're waiting for that GO-PRO run up Palomar and to hear what you think of the bike. How does it react to trail braking? Let us know how hard it would be to move the instrument cluster forward a bit.....as people are complaining that you have to look straight down to see it.

Thanks...
The bike is light, but the rider, not so much.

Have run BT 003 on the white wheel FZ 09 and Metzler Race Tecs on the black wheel bike.

Run tire pressure at 30 to 32 psi.

The comments I have read on the 023's would imply they would be a decent rain tire ,

having so many grooves.

If I did move the instruments up, it would more likely happen with the front end conversion.

Reactions: CD599

·
Super Moderator
5,734 Posts
The BT023's are a sport-touring tire for sure....which is fine if you are into that sort of thing. I've already got a set of the Michelin Pilot Power 3's for my wife's new FZ07....now all we need is the bike.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Congrats! But...

I am excited to see what you think about the 07 after you have some miles under your belt.
Bike is still bone stock, for now, so if you've seen one, you've seen them all.

There will be some pre-mod measurement info and some pics in the near future.

Reactions: Steve101

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Post pics next to the fz09. We haven't seen that yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Congrats Dolan, happy to see you got one at a decent price. In time I hope to get my red 07 soon enough. To bad the dealers here in Tucson aren't the best informed or trust worthy.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
C'mon Dolan....ride that thing up the hill already. We need something to do until our 07 shows up.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today's full tank weigh in.

Cali bike , so smog can may add a pound or two.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts